Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Does Reid fit in to our most successful system?

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
When we play with Jackson on the left we seem to have much more stability and it also frees up Racon to play his most effective game...

Does the presence of Reid on the left, for want of a better word, balls it all up??

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    maybe...
  • Options
    As the midfield is the engine of the team, I'll continue with the car analogy.
    Putting Reid in is like adding a turbo. Unfortuately conditions don't allow you to get much use out of the turbo. Far better to continue with a silky smooth V6 with all cylinders working perfectly together.
  • Options
    pretty good analogy queensland.

I like Reid, class player but I think there's a right time and a wrong time to play him. Fantastic asset to have on the bench though if needed !
  • Options
    For now he doesn't, not comfortable on the right. Got to keep Jackson on the left.

Unless he can take Martin/Anyinsah's place alongside Benson? Though not sure he'd be comfortable there either.
  • Options
    The trouble with a winger like Reid is precisely that, he is a winger. While he can be devastating at times he hogs the line which means at times the remainder of the midfield is outnumbered. This was what happened against Brighton. Jackson although on the left side of midfield tucks in more and helps out in the centre.This helps to bring out the best in Racon. I don't think we can play with two out and out wingers such as Reid on one side and Wagstaff/Martin on the other. Unfortunately for Reid we do have a very good left sided midfielder in Jackson and his place must be under threat.

That said I don't think he was that bad on Saturday even though he played mainly on the right. He was let down by some badly paced passes to him and he very nearly set up a goal in the second half. Incidently just before he was taken off he and Jackson swopped wings. This may explain his annoyance at being subbed; he is sent onto his natural side for two minutes and then taken off.
  • Options
    There's no doubting that Reid is one of our best players, at a point earlier in the season i think we went about 4 games running where all our goals were created by him. However at this moment in time our best team doesn't include him. He'll get games though as we're currently in 3 competitions.
  • Options
    Just need to remember that football is a squad game. Jackson, Semedo or Racon might get injured at some point and Reid will come in and be an important part of our midfield.
  • Options
    He sure as Hell doesn't fit on the right. Why does Parkinson think that he can?

Reid's poor display was largely down to being played in a position that is never going to suit such a one-sided player.

I'm guessing that his annoyance at being subbed probably stemmed from this. Reid will know that he can never be fully effective on the right.

If Wagstaff is missing, it has to be Martin on the right. Reid should only ever be played on the left.... and, if Jackson maintains the form that he is currently in ... then it's the bench for Reid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]He sure as Hell doesn't fit on the right. Why does Parkinson think that he can?

Reid's poor display was largely down to being played in a position that is never going to suit such a one-sided player.

I'm guessing that his annoyance at being subbed probably stemmed from this. Reid will know that he can never be fully effective on the right.

If Wagstaff is missing, it has to be Martin on the right. Reid should only ever be played on the left.... and, if Jackson maintains the form that he is currently in ... then it's the bench for Reid.

Are you related to Dave Rudd of Buntingford?

If so it's your round :-)

Incidentally one of my cousins lives in Buntingford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]He sure as Hell doesn't fit on the right. Why does Parkinson think that he can?

You're right with regards to Reid on the right but i don't see why a professional footballer can't play on both wings. Adam Johnson is also incredibly one sided but City always play him on the right. Surely you just cut in onto your better side and deliver in swinging crosses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think with time Reid could adapt to do a job on the right, although he'll probably never be totally comfortable there. He isn't completely one footed and he did try to go down the outside a couple of times on Saturday, plus he'd be a threat cutting in and hitting shots. He'd need time to adapt and some coaching but he's got potential to do it - if Jerome 'Right Foot' Thomas can make a career as a left winger, Reid could certainly adjust. There's no doubt we have better, ready made alternatives on the right at the moment though.

I think his poor performance on Saturday had an awful lot do with the quality of distribution from our back 4, meaning Benson didn't get a lot of controllable balls to hold up and push wide, and the way Yeovil closed us down very quickly making it hard for Reidy to get turned and motoring. Just cos someone has a quiet game, it doesn't always mean it's their fault, especially wingers who are always heavily relient on their team mates getting them quality ball in the right areas.
  • Options
    Not ideal on the right but with Waggy injured worth perservering with. Exiled spot about his biigest problem saturday was due to distribution from the back.
    Still not sure how much of that is credit to Yeovil that all of defenders suffered on saturday with this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

You're right with regards to Reid on the right but i don't see why a professional footballer can't play on both wings. Adam Johnson is also incredibly one sided but City always play him on the right. Surely you just cut in onto your better side and deliver in swinging crosses.

That's really the point ... he pretty much can ONLY cut inside. Much easier to defend against. You just show him the outside route knowing that, if he does get past you, he will either deliver a poor (right-footed) cross, or that he will be looking to check back to get onto his left.

Some predominantly left-sided players can do well on the right. Most cannot.
  • Options
    Reid scored his goal against Barnet playing on the right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Are you related to Dave Rudd of Buntingford?

If so it's your round :-)

Incidentally one of my cousins lives in Buntingford.

Len ... assuming your cousin is a Charlton fan, I'll buy him/her the beer on your behalf.
  • Options
    Parky played him on the right because Waggy was injured. Reid certainly doesn't fit into our best team at the moment but things change- opportunities always come. He needs to be patient - he has a role coming on fresh as a sub at the very least at the moment.
  • Options
    He sure as Hell doesn't fit on the right. Why does Parkinson think that he can?

If Wagstaff is missing, it has to be Martin on the right. Reid should only ever be played on the left.... and, if Jackson maintains the form that he is currently in ... then it's the bench for Reid. Quote Dave Rudd.

Excellent post Dave.

The answer to our question depends on the formation!. Obviously!.

As i have posted earlier re the touchline breakup, I regard Reid as one of the most talented players, and my personnal favourite. But there is no denying Jackson was the best Charlton player on the pitch first half at any rate!.

I noticed that he switched sides first half, and was quiet by his standards! ( Reid) and not surprissed he was subbed!

re: the attitude, do we really want players that are 'glad' to be subbed!. eh! I think not........

Do we really need to trot out a list of players that have not made it at Charlton to go on to other clubs and be effective!
    After all the manager selects the starting line up!
  • Options
    He'll get a run of games at some point. If Racon gets injured/suspended I think Jackson would be the leading candidate to play in the middle with Semedo, which would give him a chance, likewise Jacko being out and Reid would be first in. Likewise, if at some point we decide to play 5 in midfield, they could both play.
  • Options
    I'm not totally convinced that our recent run has everything to do with Jackson playing in midfield although I do accept that he defends further in which makes us more compact. No reason why Reid should not be told to do the same if he plays on the left. If Reid plays on the right it's crazy to expect the team to play the same as it's been doing with Waggy and for Reid to adapt. Just as we need to play Scott in with balls in front of him we need to adjust our play if a "lefite" is on the right. Whereas Benson might come towards Waggy and perhaps look for a one-two or a spin, he'd want to pull away to the far side to give Reid the space to cut inside.
  • Options
    I was saying at half time on Saturday that Reidy had achieved absolutely nothing on the right in the first half, and we needed to make a change. I suspect that he is a player who can make a big impact in the right circumstances, and I believe we are best starting him on the bench and then making decisions according to the way the game is going, and to how the opposition full backs are performing. He is certainly a player to bring on in the last quarter when defenders are tiring and he can offer something that nobody else can at present.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Martin has played on the right many times in his career so am surprised Parky did not give Reid time through the middle behind Benno and Martin on the right. Not sure how well Reid would have done through the middle but surely it cannot have been worse than on the right.

Reid has never played well on the right, sure he played there against Milwall last season and struggled. If either Waggy or Anyinsah is fit for tomorrow, Reid will surely be back on the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

You're right with regards to Reid on the right but i don't see why a professional footballer can't play on both wings. .

Exactly Chris .....Reidy's poor game against Yeovil, wasn't so much that he was caught on his wrong foot - he was often under the feet of his own CMs in the middle of the park;
    when we broke from defence there was rarely a wing option on the right - simply because Reid was constantly out of position.

Francis rarely had any cover from the missing Reid either, nor options to play the ball down the wing.

Reid was positionally AWOL constantly.
    That's down to the player's concentration - rather than because he wasn't playing his preferred wing.

Shocking performance from Reid.
    No wonder Tim Breaker had a go at him.
  • Options
    I'd still like to see him play off of Benson up front (but not instead of AnyJoe) or give him a free role with our normal midfield four to back him up. Not suggesting he should start a game like that but if Martin (or Joe) weren't available or doing it, then I think he could be an option because of his skill and pace.

I don't think he's just a winger who hugs the line (if he did that he wouldn't have scored the goals he did last season) but I do think he's a big liability in his own half. I'm sure the coaching staff have worked hard with him on positional sense when we've lost the ball but some players just can't get their heads round it 100%. There'll be times when he gets it right but enough times in a game when he doesn't and it will provide an opening for the opposition.

Having said all of that, he is still a watchable player at this level and I'm happy that he's in the squad and that in most games we get to see him play. He's also relatively inexperienced and needs to settle at one club for a few seasons so I think he'll improve.