Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albert Glickstein, Milton Keynes and "MK Athletic"

JPJP
edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Hi all, Luton Town fan here in peace.

I'm doing a bit of research into football in Milton Keynes, and in particular earlier attempts to relocate clubs there (as I'm sure you know, we nearly went there ourselves numerous times, as did several other teams). Anyway, I've heard in a few places some very vague rumours that the idea of Charlton moving there was floated during either the late 1960s or early 1970s (or perhaps both). The name Albert Glickstein was also mentioned -- I understand that he was some sort of boardroom type who threatened to move CAFC there.

I'm no expert on Charlton at all, and that's why I'm posting this note just to ask if any of you anything about this. Why would Charlton go there? Why at that time? Who was Glickstein? Why didn't it happen? Just any information would be helpful -- even if you could just point me in the way of some potential sources I would be grateful.

Cheers,

JP

Comments

• Options
    Albert Gliksten was Chairman of Charlton from 1932 until 1951, still the Clubs most successful period but wasn't on the board in the 70s.

By then his nephew (correct me on this fellow Addicks) was Chairman.

There is mention in Manager Jimmy South Stand's biography of a move to South Africa but I don't personally remember any mention of Milton Keynes.
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Henry Irving, that little bit of rudimentary background is helpful.
  • Options
    Albert Gliksten died in 1962. As far as I can remember the stories about a possible move to MK surfaced around the early 1970's when Theo Foley was manager. Some rumours that it was dreamed up by someone in the press and the story disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.
  • Options
    Thanks Mistrollingin; as I said all I've heard are some very vague rumours, so that could be the case. Thanks for replying.
  • Options
    I remember that story, it was around the early seventies.
  • Options
    That story is definitely true, can't remember the circumstances, dates or why we didn't go, but it certainly was a great concern to Charlton fans at the time...

When Wimbledon went to MK I mentioned the same story on another fans website and everyone said I was nuts..!
  • Options
    Michael Glikstein was the guy who sold out to Mark Hulyer.

I think it was the family timber business that bankrolled Charlton for many years.
  • Options
    A move to Milton Keynes was definately mooted in the 68/69 season. There was a one-off supplement with one of the London evening papers with stories about all the London teams. The piece about Charlton was about Michael Gliksten's dreams of a 40,000 all seater stadium at the Valley or, failing that, a move to a brand new stadium in Milton Keynes. I kept the supplement for many years but many house moves later it has disappeared. My wife probably used it to wrap her precious china!
  • Options
    What did you wrap the wife in mametz ? i always find that old sacks do the job re the Gooners under my porch.
  • Options
    Unfotunately my wife doesn't " get " football. I harboured hopes of having a football and Charlton loving son but I have a football hating daughter instead. She and her mother are both fantastic but endless drivel about X Factor, Desperate Housewives and Ugly Betty does get wearing.

It's strange that Michael Gliksten went public with such grandiose dreams given that he allowed the ground to rot and decay for decades.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Albert Gliksten died in 1962. As far as I can remember the stories about a possible move to MK surfaced around the early 1970's when Theo Foley was manager. Some rumours that it was dreamed up by someone in the press and the story disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.

It was Stanley (Albert's brother and Michael's father) who died in 1962. Albert died 10 years or so earlier. Jimmy Seed's book implied that Stanley didn't have the passion for the Club that Albert did hence the start of the long slow decline.
  • Options
    The story made the 10 o clock news in about 1973.....due to the dilapdated stadium and dwindling crowds of 4-6,000 it was reported that we were to be relocated to the then new town of Milton Keynes and it was Michael who dreamt up this idea....thankfully it didnt get very far....he also started a market behind the West stand at about the same time....I seem to remember it was on Wednesdays
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JP[/cite]Hi all, Luton Town fan here in peace.

I'm doing a bit of research into football in Milton Keynes, and in particular earlier attempts to relocate clubs there (as I'm sure you know, we nearly went there ourselves numerous times, as did several other teams). Anyway, I've heard in a few places some very vague rumours that the idea of Charlton moving there was floated during either the late 1960s or early 1970s (or perhaps both). The name Albert Glickstein was also mentioned -- I understand that he was some sort of boardroom type who threatened to move CAFC there.

I'm no expert on Charlton at all, and that's why I'm posting this note just to ask if any of you anything about this. Why would Charlton go there? Why at that time? Who was Glickstein? Why didn't it happen? Just any information would be helpful -- even if you could just point me in the way of some potential sources I would be grateful.

Cheers,

JP

Michael Gliksten was Chairman at the time you mention.

I've followed Charlton since 1963 but have no recollection of a move to Milton Keynes being muted. I'm not saying it didn't happen just that I didn't know about it if it did.
  • Options
    JP, it might be worth you contacting the club historian, Colin Cameron, via the club. If anyone knows the full story he will. He's a lovely fella and might be able to give you some more info.
  • Options
    I certainly remember the move to MK being mooted and the market being set up. I think they were allowed to run the market for a limited number of occasions without needing a licence from the council on a trial basis. Whether it was not successful or the council refused a licence to continue I don't know.
  • Options
    Yes, there were certainly rumours of a move to Mk and I remember reading about it in the Evening Standard so I knew it couldn't be true!
  • Options
    March 51 would that headline be just above the its only 15 mins to get to Sell-out Park ? or who cares if Charlton go bust? or the Chris who? headlines in the Evening Gooner ????would this be the same paper that had no less the six full pages onthe Goonershit leving the Library will once only having lines on Charlon even though we were in the Prem then !

truely a LONDON paper

Michael Herd if you or any of your knoblet Juronos ever read this you are a prise c**t and one day (God willing) i hope to force feed your a CAFC program down your throat !!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]JP, it might be worth you contacting the club historian, Colin Cameron, via the club. If anyone knows the full story he will. He's a lovely fella and might be able to give you some more info.[/quote]

Thanks to all of you, it seems as if we're getting somewhere now... does anybody have an contact email address for Colin Cameron at all?

Cheers, JP
  • Options
    This was mooted by general manager Rodney Stone in April 1973 as "an approach from a progressive Midlands borough" in an interview with the Kentish Independent, and was intended to put pressure on the council. Stone admitted subsequently he had made it up, but claimed he was then approached by Milton Keynes on the basis of the interview.
  • Options
    Programme v WREXHAM sat 14th April 1973 has under club notes an item on this subject.Can also remember it appearing again afew years later in the national press.Yes we could have become the first club to move to Buckinghamshire instead we waited until 1985 and moved to Selhurst Park
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course at that time MK was tiny and no where near the town it is now. I thinbk there is a charlton around there somewhere between MK and Bicester, which is what stuck in my mind.
  • Options
    Lewis Coaches, if you don't mind could you possibly let me know what the programme note said?

Kap10, you are right. I used to live around there.

Cheers, JP
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Here is a list of club chairman's to avoid any confusion on dates: http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/history/0,,10267~2180943,00.html

To contact Colin Cameron ask for an eMail via customerservices@cafc.co.uk
  • Options
    programme notes
    There is no possibility of Charlton Athleticleaving The Valley unless we are forced out by the attitude of Greenwich Council.We wish to make this clear to our supporters who have flooded the club and the local papers this week,with letters followingthe announcement that we could move.
    The roots of Charlton Athletic Football Club are in this area and we are in no way disenchanted with the district or with the fans.
  • Options
    programme notes cont..
    We are frustrated, disappointed by the attitude of Greenwich Council,who have stopped our plansto utilise The Valley during weekdays for the general benefit of the community and like other professional football clubs ,we have got to lookto the future for ways of safeguarding the club in the 1980s.One sureway is to make much more use of the facilities we have at our disposal.
    We believe our plans for a sports complex and a 200-stall open market would have helped both the club and the Charlton area,muchof which is in a depressed state and would have been the first step in creating a new concept in community participation.
  • Options
    programme notes cont..
    You the supporters ,can make sure the club continues in Charlton by protesting as loud as you can to Greenwich Council over their refusal to grant us permission for our plans.On wednesday , the council met and discussed a scheme to site the sports complex in nearby Charlton Park on public open space.We still think this decision should be changed and feel sure that eventually common sense will prevail and lead to cooperation between the club and the council concerning the market.
  • Options
    programme notes cont..
    As an interim pleasure we can under existing legislation operate the market for a limited number of days a year and intend to do this and by so doing prove the point of the value to the community.
    PROGRAMME NOTES TAKEN FROM CHARLTON V WREXHAM PROGRAMME 14TH APRIL 1973.
  • Options
    Thanks Lewis Coaches. JP
  • Options
    There is something to be said for the landlocked site being the reason that Charlton got back to the Valley and are still there.

The railway preventing access improvements means that commercial development on the site wouldn't be possible.
  • Options
    Michael Gliksten did threaten to relocate Charlton to Milton Keynes and it was reported in the Evening Standard as mentioned above in this thread. FACT. Not sure of the date though.