Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Problems entering the East Stand against Yeovil

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I think this deserves its own thread:

I'd like to know why only two turnstiles were open causing a massive queue - this for a game that was being heavily promoted, and during a probably the best run of games in recent years.

Apparently these numbers turning up were I quote "unexpected" - did we get a bumper crowd then? Looked average to me. We were forced to walk all the way back round to the South Entrance.

I'd also like to know why the steward lady was incapable of fielding 'enquiries' without being 'snotty', and why when the club needs as many paying fans as possibly do they continually manage to piss us off?

Ta

Comments

• There were far bigger queues that normal at the East Stand entrance on Harvey Gardens, but a lot of it was caused by the crowd not being distributed equally between the turnstiles. There was a queue looping up the road queuing for a single turnstile, whereas if you just joined the queues on the right hand side there were only about 15-20 people in them (this was at about 2.40ish).

A large number of people are still unable to tear the ticket out of their season ticket books themselves which wastes time as well :)
  • edited November 2010
    only 2 turnstiles open seemed to have been the cause, and if as you say there was an issue with different queue lengths (which certainly didnt seem the case when we arrived about 2:50) why didnt stewards intervene? With all the emphasis on crowd management nowadays and safety this just isn't right.
  • think they were double checking them to stop adults getting in on concession tickets
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]think they were double checking them to stop adults getting in on concession tickets

again, only 2 turnstiles open, so not the concession checking thing
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]only 2 turnstiles open seemed to have been the cause, and if as you say there was an issue with different queue lengths (which certainly didnt seem the case when we arrived about 2:50) why didnt stewards intervene? With all the emphasis on crowd management nowadays and safety this just isn't right.

The stewards could've intervened, but I also think people could just use a bit of common sense and see that the other queues were miles shorter.

Agree that possibly not enough turnstiles were open, but if it's a cost cutting measure then I don't mind getting to the ground a few minutes earlier.
  • as I said that wasnt the case when I arrived, it was a shambles
  • edited November 2010
    At around 2.40/45 when we arrived there was a long queue, much longer than normal and fewer than normal turnstiles open.

Walked round to the Bartram Entrance where the queue was about two deep and they were letting people in via the exit gate.

All proper Charlton fans know about the Bartram Entrance ; - )
  • aye not wrong, I normally go through there, but was meeting someone.

Some will have missed kick off as a result, and come in late causing disruption, it'd be nice to have some kind of apology and reassurance this won't continue. If it is cost saving then let us know in advance please CAFC..

:)
  • Upper North was fine
  • At the end of the day they only needed to do this once to stop the idiots fleecing the club. They are unlikely to try again very soon if they think the knuckle heads in Yellow will be waiting on the other side of the turnstyle for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had to join the queue for the East to access the single open turnstile for the NE Quadrant. Made it in time for kick-off but sure that lots didn't.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]At the end of the day they only needed to do this once to stop the idiots fleecing the club. They are unlikely to try again very soon if they think the knuckle heads in Yellow will be waiting on the other side of the turnstyle for them.

There is currently no indication that this was the case, in the words of the female steward this was due to and underestimation of fans coming to the match (i.e. they didn't open enough turnstiles)
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]A large number of people are still unable to tear the ticket out of their season ticket books themselves which wastes time as well :)
    To be fair the booklet says only to be torn when a turnstile operator is present. I don't know if this is really enforced. I mean, if an adult can get in on an U11 ticket then anything can happen :-)
  • There were no additional ticket checks in the east stand on Saturday, so this was not a factor. As I've said elsewhere, the usual number of turnstiles should have been open, although there is conflicting evidence about whether they were at all times. The safety control room reported that the queue built up very quickly and in their view it was caused by fans arriving later than usual, for whatever reason. The numbers buying Luton before entering would not have accounted for a queue of that length. I saw the staff open two more turnstiles at 2.50pm. According to the safety officer most people were in the ground by 3.03pm and anyone who wasn't had walked up very late anyway.

The stewards are casual staff and they are not involved in policy decision-making, so they not going to be able to answer questions about why decisions are made. But in this case nothing should have been different from a usual Saturday game.
  • well myself and my mates arrived exactly the same time as we always did and believe me it had nothing to do with people arriving late
  • I've done some more work on this and here are some stats.

There are nine turnstiles serving the east stand in Harvey Gardens - nos 42 to 45 admitted 594, 446, 502 and 607 people respectively. Nos 41 and 46 were closed. Nos 47, 48 and 49 admitted 136, 114 and 126. These are the ones that were opened to cope with the queue.

Normal practice in the east this season is to open three and then a fourth at the peak time. The numbers suggest this is what happened. The Bartram gate has five turnstiles. Nos 50 and 51 admitted 309 and 355 respectively.

Then we need to look at the flow rate, which is reasonably consistent with what you'd expect - except that it slows a bit at 2.30pm and then picks up again. The peak is between 2.52 and 2.56 when 74 people are admitted and 2.56 and 3pm when 75 are admitted. There are 69 people between 3pm and 3.04pm, then 10 in the next four minutes.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]I've done some more work on this and here are some stats.

There are nine turnstiles serving the east stand in Harvey Gardens - nos 42 to 45 admitted 594, 446, 502 and 607 people respectively. Nos 41 and 46 were closed. Nos 47, 48 and 49 admitted 136, 114 and 126. These are the ones that were opened to cope with the queue.

Normal practice in the east this season is to open three and then a fourth at the peak time. The numbers suggest this is what happened. The Bartram gate has five turnstiles. Nos 50 and 51 admitted 309 and 355 respectively.

Then we need to look at the flow rate, which is reasonably consistent with what you'd expect - except that it slows a bit at 2.30pm and then picks up again. The peak is between 2.52 and 2.56 when 74 people are admitted and 2.56 and 3pm when 75 are admitted. There are 69 people between 3pm and 3.04pm, then 10 in the next four minutes.[/quote]

That is a very vague assessment, could you please elaborate a bit?
  • dabos CommentTime1 day ago quote# 2
    There were far bigger queues that normal at the East Stand entrance on Harvey Gardens, but a lot of it was caused by the crowd not being distributed equally between the turnstiles. There was a queue looping up the road queuing for a single turnstile, whereas if you just joined the queues on the right hand side there were only about 15-20 people in them (this was at about 2.40ish).

A large number of people are still unable to tear the ticket out of their season ticket books themselves which wastes time as well :)

Thank God someone else spotted this. There was no need for the long queue, just a steward with a brain.....
  • [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]dabos CommentTime1 day ago quote# 2
    There were far bigger queues that normal at the East Stand entrance on Harvey Gardens, but a lot of it was caused by the crowd not being distributed equally between the turnstiles. There was a queue looping up the road queuing for a single turnstile, whereas if you just joined the queues on the right hand side there were only about 15-20 people in them (this was at about 2.40ish).

Thank God someone else spotted this. There was no need for the long queue, just a steward with a brain.....

We all have brains... I think...
  • edited November 2010
    See the green team looking busy outside the north after the game...

Since when did they start to earn their money?