Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pint before a game?

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Hello Red army..

Just rolled into town and havent a notion about whats what. Im in the area and rather then be a glory hunter and follow a big club in London i follow and will support my local team. CAFC.

Can anyone give me a summary on the pubs in the area to catch a pre, post game pint. Obviously ill be in the North end upper tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome

Guide to local stuff on the left of the screen under Valley Ground Guide.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Walk into the Liberal Club in Charlton Church Lane 45 mins before the game ..........and ask for Henry Irving, Miserable Old Git, Suicide Steve etc

If you wear a red and white bobble hat and shout out "Red Army", everyone will know it's you and tell you to "Siddarn".

:o)
  • Options
    We'll be at the Bugle - we go there or Bartram's in the West Stand.
    Royal Oak can be a bit dodgy Ale-wise and the last time we were there it took 10mins to get served!
  • Options
    Haha Yeah Oggy Duno bout that!!

Think ill just work my way around in the shadows...

Might give the bugle a crack, kinda on my way down.
  • Options
    Are we going to have to buy you the pint though...?
  • Options
    Na, found a tenner on the bus the other night. Might cover one :/
  • Options
    They are serving Real Ale in the Cupboard End, behind the goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Irishnewboy[/cite]Na, found a tenner on the bus the other night. Might cover one :/

I'll introduce you to Nathan Prior. You two sound like you'll get on well.
  • Options
    If you're going to be a proper Charlton fan you should probably make a beeline for the Royal Oak, it being where Charlton Athletic was formed and also the closest pub to the Covered End. Get in there early and sharpen your elbows beforehand, it's a battle to get to the bar on matchday.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]If you're going to be a proper Charlton fan you should probably make a beeline for the Royal Oak, it being where Charlton Athletic was formed

I think not. They used to meet and get changed there but not where the Club was formed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers for that MrLargo, nice bit of info..

Might make that bee...

Considering starting now in every pub in the 4 mile radius O_O
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]If you're going to be a proper Charlton fan you should probably make a beeline for the Royal Oak,[span]it being where Charlton Athletic was formed[/span]

I think not. They used to meet and get changed there but not were the Club was formed.

Where was the club formed then? I thought it was a merger of youth clubs in the area which was formalised at the Oak.

Irish - Greenwich to Charlton is a cracking pub crawl. Start off at the Trafalgar (bit posh) or The Yacht overlooking the river, down to the Cutty Sark pub, Pelton Arms is worth a visit then follow Trafalgar Road onto Woolwich Road and take your pick all the way to the ground.
  • Options
    G to C sounds good.. Think this week ill just work my way down the hill..

Lookin forward to it though.
    First game for the club i intend to follow. Cant beat it man.
  • Options
    Bugle and Swan in the village then.

The Swan has another new managemene (again) so hopefully there will be an improvement.
  • Options
    Cheers Curb It!!
  • Options
    The Club was formed in Eastmoor Street, now East street, near by what was the Lads of the Village pub (now a vets).

Never heard any reference to mergers of youth clubs. The boys were 14 and 15 so unlikely to have been in a pub anyway but they would have to have walked past at least three others before reaching the Oak.
  • Options
    Anyway enjoy the game new boy, hope you bring us luck and you want to come back for more.
  • Options
    Hello Irish, you've made a good choice.
    The Rose of Denmark does a nice pint. Friendly mix of home and away fans before the match.
    You'll find it and all the others here as Henry said.
    Welcome to the Red and White army!
  • Options
    I'll be in the Lib beforehand if anyone wants a babycham
  • Options
    I dont want to sound like a cow but that guide is not very user friendly to someone who is new to the area? The pubs should be listed in order of closeness to the valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Henry, Luck i got plenty.. and im hooked already. ;)

Nice one eaststand im sure it wont be long before ive darkened every pubs door.. lets just hope it not all in the one night or ill be falling over the railings in the north upper.

bartram just keep your eye out for a chap in a red n white beanie.. coming to a boozer near you :D
  • Options
    Are you going to be on your own Mr Irishnewboy?

Not much fun drinking on your own.
  • Options
    Henry should know, he was one of those boys!
  • Options
    Oggy im Irish, you never drink alone even if you enter a pub solo and even if noone talks to ya, theres always those voices in your head.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Irishnewboy[/cite]Oggy im Irish, you never drink alone even if you enter a pub solo and even if noone talks to ya, theres always those voices in your head.

LOL ......... I know what you mean,

I'm just the same, always seem to get talking to strangers but never told anyone about the voices, the voices, the voices......
    I didn't know I had to be Irish though, ha ha
  • Options
    Maybe you contracted something from an Irish bite or a red headed lass :D
  • Options
    have you come over to collect the £7bn in a suitcase ? If so, could you make a small donation to our club ?
  • Options
    Haha ive come from east pal. Lived in Denmark. But ill ring around see if the gangsters in goverment might throw me a cool mill or 2. least i could do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Irishnewboy[/cite]Maybe you contracted something from an Irish bite or a red headed lass :D

Never slept with an Irish red headed lass.
    Not yet, anyway .....but willing to consider my options.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Irishnewboy[/cite]Maybe you contracted something from an Irish bite or a red headed lass :D

Never slept with an Irish red headed lass.
    Not yet, anyway .....but willing to consider my options.

Thought you were doing your bit for Anglo-French relations?