Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our Most Important Player

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I was thinking this morning who would we least like to lose of the current squad. Last season, many would argue Bailey, but this season I am struggling. Dailley is hugely important for his leadership qualities, Waggy and Reid have both beenthought irreplacable at times this season but then they have been out of the side and we have functioned well, you could say the same about Anyinsah but we have not done too bad in his absence.

Its, in my opinion, testimony to the squad that Parkie has built that we have players all doing a shift but no single individual standing out amongst the others.

If we had a player of the season so far competition I amnot sure where my vite would go .. Anyinsah, Racon, Elliot .........

Comments

• Racon started decidedly average. His last 6 or 7 games have been superb though
    Anyinsah needs to get himself 100% fit and avoid these annoying niggles
    Elliot has had a few good and a few bad - not really super consistent.

Semedo has been consistent albeit not quite at the heights of last season and I'd certainly argue that he is our most important player
  • One of Semedo, Racon or Dailly.
  • wouldn't disagree with nichorob - I think of the 3 Dailly is the key, especially in the big games
  • This year so far for me it is Racon, Wagstaff and Elliot
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If we had a player of the season so far competition I amnot sure where my vite would go .. Anyinsah, Racon, Elliot .........

sorry but are you serious, Anyinsah ? Has he actually played a whole game yet ?

As for Racon. If he played last season as he has this we may have got promoted. Like watching two different players.
  • I think everyone has played their part.

Elliot has been in good form with clean sheets recently before that was a little shaky

Ayinsah when he plays we seemingly create more and look a better team.

Waggy, Jackson and Benson have chipped in with goals

Semedo and Racon have been consistent and have had man of the match games.

Dailly and Doherty have been mostly solid. Akpo when he's played throughout the season has caused problems for the opposition although injury hasn't helped him.

Hopefully it'll keep up as 16 points out of 18 in promotion form...
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If we had a player of the season so far competition I amnot sure where my vite would go .. Anyinsah, Racon, Elliot .........

As for Racon. If he played last season as he has this we may have got promoted. Like watching two different players.

So seriously, who would you choose?
  • edited November 2010
    Think we are luckier this season that no individual player is irreplaceable or carries the team. There are limitations such as Racon looks a lot better with Jackson on the left as it means the midfield is not so overrun, Benson more effective it appears with Joe or maybe Sodje and Francis looks a very steady fullback with someone like Waggy to offer protection. But it appears the squad has more balance this season overall and there are actually some very decent players in reserve (McCormack, Fortune, Sodje, Reid are far from guaranteed starts every week).

I do think we will miss Dailly a lot but hopefully we have enough in reserve to cover the 3 more games.

Also Semedo is vital for the balance of the side, nevertheless when he went off last night- McCormack did a good job and proved perhaps he can form a decent CM partnership with Racon.
  • racon is our most important player always said the guy can play and now he is putting the effort in with, and stopped arsing about he is becoming more influential in games week by week if we keep him fit i fancy he could be the key this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If we had a player of the season so far competition I amnot sure where my vite would go .. Anyinsah, Racon, Elliot .........

So seriously, who would you choose?

at the moment probably Racon although if Jackson continues as he is he will be well in contention. Not saying Anyansah hasn't done well when he's played but, without looking, he hasn't really featured enough to be considered yet (imo)
  • Sponsored links:

• Certainly at the moment its Racon. I think he has finally found his place in the team and has gained the confidence to start to enjoy his football. Looks a cut above right now. Critisised him in the past for not delivering when it was fairly obvious he had the ability. He really is playing with a smile on his face. Long may it continue. He will be pivitol to any success we get imho.
  • edited November 2010
    Currently: Johnnie Jackson.

Since he stepped up to Left Midfield we are more balanced as a team, more of a threat, and creating more as a team instead of one player (Reid). He has scored a bagful of goals and his being in that LM position is bringing the best out of Racon (and Semedo) at long last.

Closeley followed by Racon, Wagstaff and Benson.
  • And I'll play a wildcard .........I might be the only one, but I'm so impressed with how Benno has stepped up to the plate.

He didn't even step up to the Conference until he was 25, learned his trade with Dagenham in non-league and then 20 goals in Division 2 last season.

I remember NLA saying before we signed Benno that he was lightweight, would disappear in games, but might nick a goal out of the blue. Since signing for Charlton he's gone from being exactly that - to a very important member of the team, always involved, improving touch, moving and linking well - and puts away the chances that last season went begging.

And all with a tremendous attitude. I'm impressed!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]And I'll play a wildcard .........I might be the only one, but I'm so impressed with how Benno has stepped up to the plate.

He didn't even step up to the Conference until he was 25, learned his trade with Dagenham in non-league and then 20 goals in Division 2 last season.

I remember NLA saying before we signed Benno that he was lightweight, would disappear in games, but might nick a goal out of the blue. Since signing for Charlton he's gone from being exactly that - to a very important member of the team, always involved, improving touch, moving and linking well - and puts away the chances that last season went begging.

And all with a tremendous attitude. I'm impressed!

Agree in principal Oggy but to answer the question. Most important ? Really ?????
  • thought Benson has been disappointing in the last two games, especially last night but as long as he keeps scoring, even tap-in's or those that hit him unawarewares and go in, I don't really care. Just thought he could have got on the end of another couple last night.
  • christian daily is a legend and is our best player semedo not to far behind
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]thought Benson has been disappointing in the last two games, especially last night but as long as he keeps scoring, even tap-in's or those that hit him unawarewares and go in, I don't really care. Just thought he could have got on the end of another couple last night.

You make it sound like you only watch the ball and don't follow the game, Large.

Maybe you'd be surprised to see what players do off the ball, that allows our play to happen.....?
    In fact, around 90% of a player's input into a game happens without the ball. Ask his manager.

And if you watch Benson without the ball, I think you'd also be impressed with how much more he offers compared to a couple of months ago.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

Agree in principal Oggy but to answer the question. Most important ? Really ?????

Well he was last night - it could have been a first defeat in 9 games without him......(!)
    ;o)

After 18 League games played by the team, 2nd in the table ...... he's invariably involved on or off the ball in our build ups, a number of assists and joint leading goalscorer with 7, Benno plays a much more important part than most people seem to give credit for.

He's rapidly become a vital part in the team. But we can judge for ourselves how important he is after 46 games.
    That's all that counts really!

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]thought Benson has been disappointing in the last two games, especially last night but as long as he keeps scoring, even tap-in's or those that hit him unawarewares and go in, I don't really care. Just thought he could have got on the end of another couple last night.

You make it sound like you only watch the ball and don't follow the game, Large.

Maybe you'd be surprised to see what players do off the ball, that allows our play to happen.....?
    In fact, around 90% of a player's input into a game happens without the ball. Ask his manager.

And if you watch Benson without the ball, I think you'd also be impressed with how much more he offers compared to a couple of months ago.

bloody hell. I do appreciate what he does off the ball and I do watch the game but at the end of the day his job is to score goals, just as Robbie's job is to make saves. I just thought that last night especially a couple of balls flashed across the six yard box and he seemed to be hanging back and not gambling to get in there. If we'd have had say a Kevin Phillips type they would have been goals. I also appreciated Akpo's contribution last night as he certainly unsettled them but I wouldn't even bet your money on him scoring a goal. Actually, maybe I would ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]thought Benson has been disappointing in the last two games, especially last night but as long as he keeps scoring, even tap-in's or those that hit him unawarewares and go in, I don't really care. Just thought he could have got on the end of another couple last night.

Quite right Oggy.

People wondered why Curbs persevered with Lisbie when his goal scoring record wasn't great. Part of the reason was his running off the ball which took defenders and opened up space for others. He also closed people down quickly which enabled us to, as Curbs put it, "defend from the front." Lisbie and Euell were excellent at that aspect of the game and it helped considerably in preventing us being overrun so often when playing 4-4-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• If this question was asked a month or 6 weeks ago the answer would have been Kyel Reid for most.

The truth of the matter is that over 46 games all players have peaks and troughs but if pressed to give an answer I'd say Semedo because he gives the more spectacular players the scope to play.
  • Cory Gibbs.