Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macca & The Sodj

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I have been really impressed with Akpo Sodje in his last two appearances for us (against Yeovil & Bristol). He has won a peno and created some great chances. Last season I thought he was frustrating due to his donkey-ness but this year I think he's been a beast. He has started to make good runs and held the ball up well. Surely he will put away a good chance soon?

As for Alan I think he looked Like the new Nicky Bailey after coming on for Semedo against the Pirates. His passing was pinpoint and he also had a cracking effort on goal which the opposition keeper just about managed to save.

Do you think Akpo Sodje deserves a start? He has only made 12 starts out of 41 apps for the club. And what are your views on Macca am I being to optimistic about him having Nicky Baileys quality?

Comments

• Options
    Akpo seems to be the natural replacement for Anyinsah, i.e. the power to hassle and worry defenders. Obviously his touch and striking skills are not quite the same, but as a backup plan yes I'd say he is a good option and he's my choice to step in if Joe can't play.

McCormack I haven't seen as much of, but when I have seen him he seems to have done quite well. I tried explaining it to my dad as McCormack being the player Bailey was the 'mark two' version of, like Akpo/Anyinsah they have similar qualities but in one they are better/more developed. For me McCormack isn't as good as Bailey and certainly won't be troubling the positions of Racon/Semedo on current form but again a decent option to have.
  • Options
    If you put the ball in or around Sodje he's going to get on the end of it. However sometimes hes feet can let him down. My mate who comes with to a few games calls him the drogba of league 1 :-)
  • Options
    Akpo has worked well on his fitness, great player to have come of the bench.
    Not been impressed with McCormack of late, but yesterday he showed a good range of passing and battled well. If he can show that on another sub appearence then it looks like we have great cover.
  • Options
    I thought this was a thread about a new band!
  • Options
    i agree that these 2 have done well in recent sub appearances!

This is just the healthy competition we want between the players at the club. Its great that Parky is getting the best from our subs because these guys on the bench want to play! Sodje is our 3rd best striker behind Benson and Anyinsah. Macca has never been on the bench before so i know hes dying to prove Parky why he deserves first team football.

See when a player picks up that suspension, injury, released back to loan club --- these guys are ripped ready and roaring to go for our beloved CAFC!
    Good job by parky!
  • Options
    I've said it before, but Akpo's problem with us has always been his fitness. Whenever he's looked fully fit he's been a handful, but last season he never seemed to get more than about 15 minutes into an appearance without picking up a knock.

Parky says he's been doing extra work in training and I think you can see Akpo is looking as lean and mean as he's ever done for us.

He'll never be blessed with particularly silky skills but when he's feeling confident about his fitness he can throw his weight around make a real nuisance of himself. The key is keeping him fit so he feels he can get stuck in without damaging himself.

I would agree, that while Anyinsah is out, Akpo should be starting, at least at home when we need to push teams back to create space for ourselves. Away from home we can play on the break a bit more and playing Martin off Benson will be more effective than it is at home.
  • Options
    I thought they both did very well when they came on. Macca liked very neat and tidy and wants to get forward and I thought Akpo looked lean and dangerous. Bodes well because I feel both will need to play their part this season.
  • Options
    what do you think of Sodje and Anyinsah playing together? Worth a try ot not?
  • Options
    Erm could be worth a try to learn how they play together
  • Options
    Like to see Sodje get a start with Benno. Benson has looked best with Anyinsah and Sodje certainly shares some of Joes qualities. Think they would be a handful for most L1 defences. Sodje and Joe would be a threat but Benno is our joint top scorer and the most natural goalscorer we have so think it is Benno and someone to start.

Really pleased to see Sodje looking in the best shape of his cafc career, has made an impact in his last two games and shown that he can be a real asset this season. Not sure how many goals he can get, but if he plays like he has recently then he will certainly cause plenty of problems and maybe set a few up aswell.

Abbott needs to take note and get in shape as at the moment he is possibly 4th or even 5th choice- if Martin is going to be seen as a frontplayer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]what do you think of Sodje and Anyinsah playing together? Worth a try ot not?
    Definitely. Saturday ideal if Anyinsah is fit enough to start. As you've said in other threads, them two together and on form could be too much for some sides to handle at this level.
  • Options
    One of the advantages of the schedule we have had recently is that squad players are getting some game time. With the lack of competitive reserve games its difficult fro squad players to just come into games and pick up the pace. Macca was awful against Barnet but has improved with the runouts on Saturday and Tuesday.

One area where Sodj does beat Joe, to date, is the potential of a ferocious long shot, unfortunately we have only seen one from him and that was a year ago against Yeovil (His debut?).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]what do you think of Sodje and Anyinsah playing together? Worth a try ot not?
    Definitely. Saturday ideal if Anyinsah is fit enough to start. As you've said in other threads, them two together and on form could be too much for some sides to handle at this level.

They gave Notts County a tough time, but it might be a bit one dimensional for some matches - loads of pace and power, not masses of guile. I think it'll generally be a pairing that would trouble teams with tiring legs, maybe not so much from the start.

The key to our recent success has been the fact we've been able to attack teams in different ways - pace and trickery down one wing, passing and intelligent play down the other and Racon doing his stuff through the middle too and then Anyinsah strectching and bullying teams while Benson has been pulling off defenders, exploiting space and linking attacks with the midfield.

Joe and Akpo as a pair would be more than capable of battering down a few doors, but they won't pick many locks.
  • Options
    I don't disagree, but it's certainly a partnership worth trying out on Saturday in the FA Cup if both fit enough to start.

Against the poorer sides at home and one/both on as subs against tiring defenders in any game I'm sure they would cause plenty of problems.

That's a good point on the way we can attack in different ways. Before Brighton we were fairly predictable, get the ball wide and get crosses in. Against Brighton it was probably at it's worse, so many crosses in but it was the only way we attacked.
  • Options
    Yes, things are looking up somewhat. t's amazing how quickly things can change. Agree they would batter doors down rather than unpick the lock -just not sure how big the doors need to be. It could be they could break re-inforced doors down for all we know at the moment -it must be worth further investigation rather than us or Parky making assumptions.
  • Options
    I think Akpo, like Reidy is looking like someone who can come off the bench and really hurt the other side in the right circumstances. Mac I think I need to see more of before I can form an opinion, we've seen him do well and we've seen him looking poor.
    Having said that, I think Luton will require careful team selection, and starting with Akpo might get the whole team in the right mood to impose themselves upon the opposition.
  • Options
    Got to both start on Saturday