Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plymouth winding up order

2»

Comments

• edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SECAFC[/cite]Not so much palace but definately millwall
    Wouldn't all the chavvy fans flock to Charlton then? Keeping them in business keeps them away (for the most part anyways)
  • To be fair, that's our money - yours and mine - that Plymouth owe. I'm not exactly happy with the fact that the taxpayer is effectively subsidising the wages for their players when the rest of us have to cough up our dues. It's an uncomfortable truth that doesn't sit well with most football fans, but I don't see why football clubs think they will or should get any special treatment compared to any other company.

That said, if it was us then I'd have the right up with the taxman.
  • Wind up is the right term for it. When was a league club last 'wound up' and put out of business?

This is just another gravy train for lawyers. On a positive note, the continuous bad publicity might induce the Football League powers that be to bring in tighter financial rules. How Sheffield Wednesday, Notts County etc can be allowed to spend funny money on expensive players is just scandalous. It's cheating and belittles the efforts of those club directors and managers who try to run their clubs in a proper fiduciary manner.
  • I have copied an interesting post from the exeter forums below. We all have our dark days as football surporters, I saw the Northwich game. I will there on Sunday (and Plymouth tomorrow), keep the faith and one day you will be back in premiership.

The last time we play argle they sang we will never play you again, unfortunately they were nearly right, but in football what comes around goes around and we survived.

The post

What ever the result tomorrow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exeter City football club are the victors!

For me at least, the target has always to play PAFC in a league match, again.

Many on here now won't remember this but during those deep darkest days in the twilight world of the conference there were regular threads headed "Why do we still sing, We Hate Argyle"? People even suggested that we should be singing about Torquay, or even Weymouth and beleive it or not, there were also people that suggested we should admire the Slime!

There were even some sad individuals that defected....shame!

Best of luck to those plucky souls that stood on the terraces as we were losing to Northwich Victoria, whilst Plymouth were entertaining Wolves and still having the outright cheek, nerve and perhaps humour, to hurl abuse at our lofty neighbours. It looked touch and go for a while there but in many hearts the thought of playing our Devon rivals again stayed strong.

We're back, and tomorrow a notable match is happening, a match which defines our recovery, a massive reward to the loyal supporters and another jewel in the crown of our brave players, our superb coaching set up, our canny manager and the wonderful workings of the trust which gave us back our club.

Not one to shout but...

WE ARE EXETER, SAY WE ARE EXETER!
  • Can't see it but would like Bradley Wright Phillips at the Valley if they are selling off players. If he can keep injury free and keeps his focus, then imho he could be one of the top L1 scorers this season. Certainly had a decent season in a struggling side so far.
  • They say the sale of the ground will not cover the debts and there will be a fire sale in january, both BWP and noone will go. Brighton look interested in the latter. He was ok whne we had him on loan last year but nothing extra special
  • peter risdale has turned up down there and been appointed as " football consultant" lol
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]peter risdale has turned up down there and been appointed as " football consultant" lol

in fairness he is the most experienced of bankrupting clubs, avoiding paying bills and generally shirking all responsibilities
  • I guess Argyle are doing what they think they have to.

It'll buy them time.
  • Gulp.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Something the media has largly overlooked when talking about the horror of not getting the world cup but Plymouth are the club it will make the most difference to. Getting to host a country was going to be the only thing that would fend off the wolves. This looks like a last gasp attempt but doesn't feel like long-term planning.
  • Risdale is a total f**king joke. How the man keeps getting a gig within football is astounding.

Still, as mentioned earlier, if anyone knows about trying to roll with the punches for a club in trouble then it's him - but only because he's the one that has created the mess in the first place. I guess his hands are clean in that respect this time, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.
  • Didn't know anything about this story and I just turned on Sky News to hear "Peter Ridsdale is back in football..." ....please don't say at Charlton, please don't say at Charlton.... "at Plymouth." PHEW!
  • The winding-up petition against Plymouth's parent company for unpaid tax has been dismissed as the debt has been paid.

No details have been disclosed over the amount of money owed by Plymouth Argyle Football Company Holdings Limited.

A statement on the club's official website read: "In the High Court, the winding-up petition by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs against Plymouth Argyle Football Company Holdings Limited was formally dismissed by Mr Registrar Daister.

"The petition-debt has been paid in full and the Argyle directors are now fully focused on bringing further arrears up to date in as short time as possible."
  • Interesting article by Matt Slater on the beeb site about Plymouth and their travails. well worth a read:

[url=/http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2011/01/plymouth_calling_kagami_please.html]caveat emptor[/url]
  • not found
  • I spent many many holidays in Cornwall and Plymouth as a kid, my dad was Cornish and all my uncles, aunts and cousins either lived in Cornwall or Plymouth.

My cousins are all Argyle fans and they would always drag me along when I was down there, consequently, they are my 2nd team and I really really fear for their future.

I know they have survived the latest winding up petition but I feel that they have merely won a battle, the war is still a long way from won.

They have been mis managed (boardroom) for a long while and it makes me all the more appreciative of the work done by Richard Murray in keeping us alive and kicking.

As much as I loathe the Spanners, would I want to see them fold ?, the answer is no, playing in The Blue Square ?, most definitely, I won't talk about the Croydon lot as I just consider them to be a minor irritant.

I would like to wish all concerned with PAFC all the very best.

This coming Saturday's game has a real meaning for me but my genorisity to the Argylle does not extend to taking any points from us on Saturday.

I remember when we were fighting for promotion from the old 3rd division back in the early 70's, along with Blackburn (all 3 went up), Plymouth would always get the biggest home gates by far, if memory serves me right, they would average about 16,000, Blackburn about 12,000 and us about 7,000.

Godd luck you Janners.
  • edited January 2011
    if at first you don't succeed....

Caveat Emptor
  • edited January 2011
    The Caveat Emptor link above mentions Keith Todd, now a Director of Plymouth and part of the Japanese led New World Consortium. He is my former Boss when I worked for ICL. I couldn't possibly say what I think of him without my lawyer present.

He had decent Japanese connections then because ICL was by then a subsidiary of Fujitsu.

He certainly is capable.......

I was Group Insurance Manager and I reported via the Group Treasurer to Keith who was originally FD but become CEO.

Link