Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Covered End on Panorama

Comments

• Options
    FIFA are and have been for donkeys years total shysters----------tin pot twats at best.

Would love a total full on investigation into what they do and how. Must be buckets loads of cash going missing.

BBC why of why o why do a naff program (30mins of re-hashed old crap) 2 days before England goes into attempt to win the 2018 bid! why do it ?
    Who was the producer of this program? Its hard to understand the timing.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok so a few guys take brown envelopes from a private company.

It's big business, corruption is everywhere, not exactly shocking. By broadcasting this, the BBC has just meant that the £15 million of taxpayers money spent on the bid has gone to waste. IMO, that's worse
  • Options
    I agree with what Goonerhater said.

Prague Addick said on a similar thread:

Disappointing. Not worth sabotaging the bid for. This 30 minute BBC3 style Panorama isnt fit for purpose. Living out here I've learnt a bit about corruption. So when you say someone has been 'bribed', you have to say what the person should have done in return for getting the money. Panorama didnt do that. Not that I am defending those sleaze bags. Panorama had its balls cut off years ago, and it shows.
  • Options
    The BBC has timed this for one reason only - maximum exposure. Well, congratulations - happy now ?

What's the next hard-hitting exclusive revelation - public hygiene scandal as we discover that bears shit in the woods ?

Pointless and senseless exercise.
  • Options
    Why would Fifa pay tax outside Switzerland? Surely a company would be setup to deal with the World Cup business and Fifa would take payments from that company for whatever is arranged. Fifa would take payments from advertisers, but I'd doubt they would file their accounts in the UK or any host nation when you can pay a lower corporation tax in Switzerland.

It is utterly ridiculous and completely predictable that most football fans moan about an investigative journalist reporting his hard work. You spend years, forensically and astutely uncovering factual evidence of corruption but you only uncover it when it'll have no effect. Genius! Yep all those against really understand the purpose of free press. We can't choose when we want to hear evidence, without accepting and being concomitant with the corruption. Usually people seem happy to have huge-spread corruption in sport and it's finances, but seem shocked and disgusted by corruption in mainstream finance. What peurile hypocracy. I've nothing against hypocracy. I couldn't care less if Fifa's corruption get's swept under the carpet. Top level football holds little interest for me these days. But I could care where some self-centered patricians tell me what and when I can and can not hear.

Yes I'd like the World Cup to be here, if it was accessible. But I'll not be paying a penny into a system that has no concern whatsover for the average fan apart from stealing his wallet. These allegations are new and have not been dealt with, as they appear to now be showing ISL dealings from the Lichenstein side; no doubt from the multiple sources that have leaked Lichenstein banking details in recent years. They are more comprehensive and enabled the Swiss to demand some form of recompense from Fifa. The more pressure placed on Fifa the more likelihood of more damaging leaks to occur. You don't get that by releasing journalisitic endeavours months away from crucial decisions.
  • Options
    I have no issue with the timing far from it, the programme was not going to shift where the world cup goes

FIFA football Legacy means Russia all day long the fact that at football matches they are a racist hooligan nation where you can not even get in to game that you have pre paid tickets for without having to give the local copper money to let you in.

Fits perfectly with their legacy programme

Or the fact that Spain will commit its future votes and power to aid blatter into another intermship at FIFA
  • Options
    I'm immensely proud of the BBC, but they are a large business enterprise funded substantially by the tax-payer and the licence-payer and it is surely not too much to expect that the British Broadcasting Corp keep at least half an eye on British interests as they embark on their quixotic and fearless crusades to make the world a more righteous place.

Maybe they consider that they serve a higher truth, but in this instance they were no different to any media company, high or low - they were clearly looking to make their own headlines.

The 2018 cake was baked a long time ago - the BBC has very kindly just iced it.
  • Options
    How, exactly, is hosting the world cup in Britain's interest?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]How, exactly, is hosting the world cup in Britain's interest?

I think it has something to do with the bunting
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]How, exactly, is hosting the world cup in Britain's interest?

Increased tourist numbers (particularly to places like Plymouth which are off the beaten track), international publicity, jobs, improvements in infrastructure.

The amount of these is all highly debated though and some argue that the costs involved in getting it negate them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]

I think it has something to do with the bunting
    True. There will be a net increase in street parties in the parts of the country where you can leave your furniture outside unattended for two minutes without it being chored (i.e. small villages in the Cotswolds)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]

Increased tourist numbers (particularly to places like Plymouth which are off the beaten track), international publicity, jobs, improvements in infrastructure.

The amount of these is all highly debated though and some argue that the costs involved in getting it negate them.

According to the Panorama show last night, the Dutch government figured out that hosting the World Cup would actually end up making them a loss of 150m Euro's !!!
  • Options
    I fear that those waiting for the Swiss authorities to "do something about FIFA" will have a very long wait.

Nazi gold anyone?
  • Options
    Yes please
  • Options
    Andrew Jennings may well be top-shot journalist and have a very interesting story to tell. Sadly, last night's programme just made him look stupid. Shots of him wearing that old raincoat, shouting at people from a distance and waving a bit of paper that anybody could have created on their home pc didn't really do justice to the allegations being made.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Andrew Jennings may well be top-shot journalist and have a very interesting story to tell. Sadly, last night's programme just made him look stupid. Shots of him wearing that old raincoat, shouting at people from a distance and waving a bit of paper that anybody could have created on their home pc didn't really do justice to the allegations being made.

Agreed, which was the point I was making in response to irresponsible addick. I don't know much about him or what he's done previously, but that doesn't matter - Diego Maradona was once the best footballer in the world but I wouldn't stick him in my side now. Regardless of who is, he did a pretty poor job on last night's programme and looked like a bit senile and was difficult to take seriously.
  • Options
    Jennings further revelations about FIFA have been a long running saga that made a brave attempt to try and bring to task FIFA officialls.
    His previous programmes have in the past have made him persona non as he showed last night.

It is also about millions not just a few quid in a brown envelope, and that is what can alleged!

It is the same as having a clean steroid/drug free Olympics!

Wether this is a noble and outdated 'corinthain' aspiration to try and have thre best host, that can deliver a high quality tournament, and a football spectacular seems to have been forgotten in the past
    for other dubiuos, political aspirations. Why not give it to Australia..... because of the aborigines?. I am unsure this is really the point of the world cup.

I have heard it explained that the information that the programme got was because it had to give the people it cited time to reply!. and that was only a couple of months ago.........

As Christopher Bland wrote in the Independent the BBC must hold it's nerve against FIFA!. The truth is sometimes an uncomfortable partner in the modern world.......

Jennings is a first class investigative reporter, albeit not the world's most stylish, presenter.

I would love us to host the tournament, but I would like to think that we will do so on our ability.

I appreciate others may have wanted to wait till after the 2nd, but FIFA have had this coming for years!.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Andrew Jennings may well be top-shot journalist and have a very interesting story to tell. Sadly, last night's programme just made him look stupid. Shots of him wearing that old raincoat, shouting at people from a distance and waving a bit of paper that anybody could have created on their home pc didn't really do justice to the allegations being made.

thats why i feel that the beeb and Not Jennings let the programme down, there was so much more that could and should have been done but they bottled it. i reckon a phone call from the government went in the programm content is left cut on the floor of the editing room
  • Options
    Apparently he claims that he is going to sue the bbc...

This is no doubt an embarressment, but the truth in the end will come out..........

Hunt, Cameron William and Becks are there who I am sure will make our strong bid a winner!

There is always material that cannot be used, and the bbc lawyers would have needed evidence and substantive material to agree to this broadcast.

Look at it another way, what material did they have that they did NOT use!.... after all this will probably be fought in the courts now!, or so one of the accussed claims!
  • Options
    Everyone claims they're going too sue, strangely most seem to back off even with our difficult libel laws for defendents.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, I found the programme disapointing- We all know that people within FIFA are corrupt - How many here would bet their life on that not being the case? The problem is that I was thinking about the damage the programme would have and was expecting it to be more juicy that Jennings confronting people who know he can't do anything. Who sacks FIFA officials- I would have though the only way to progress within the organisation is to turn a blind eye.

Russia was probably always going to win the world cup because they lack the scruples that the Netherlends and to a certain extent this country possess so I'm sure the right people have been incentivised to vote their way. The problem is, if you allowed a super computer to work out which country was the best placed to host a successful event, I'm sure this country would top the list by a country mile.

What the press should do (but they won't) is threaten to go after FIFA with increased resources if we don't win the bid and lay off them if we do. That might give us a chance but I suppose is unethical. Having said that, when has the press ever been ethical- except when it suits them!!!!
  • Options
    Spain/Portugal have won 2018 - it's a done deal.
  • Options
    Putin's not going to Zurich. He doesn't need to - the fix is in.
  • Options
    If Spain and Portugal get it that will rankle a bit when we have to bail them out in a few months time (well, Portugal at any rate). Imagine that, losing the bid but paying for the tournament to take place somewhere else anyway. Magic.

Still reckon the Russian's will get it - they do a better line in hookers and handbags than the rest.
  • Options
    Qatar are the bookies' favourites for 2022 ?!
  • Options
    the more i think about it the more i reckon it will be spain and portugal.

The corruption investigations if it goes to russia are proberly already underway

i bet the notw sheik has already got loads of them captured fifa are proberly worried about that

the english they hate and always will because we invented football, we are The Football Associtation and we have arguably the strongest and best domestic Leagues in the world from conference to premier there is nowhere like it.

all of that wrangles with them we dont really need fifa and they know that if we walked away from them our leagues wouldnt collapse G18 or whatever its called could easily create a european super league and still have an extreemly high attendance league set up below it,

there are numerous fa's angry and upset with fifa and tbh it could crumble around them and they dont like the power shift but can see it.

Blatter is a brave and stubborn vindictive bstd and warner is a nasty piece of work with alleged blood on his hands if they want to put a final 2 fingers up at the english fa and us they will anbd this is the opportyunity thAT THEY HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR.

HOWEVER

they could well fall on their sword on this one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Qatar are the bookies' favourites for 2022 ?!

Fella I work with does a lot of work out there. He was telling me the other day just how desperate they are for this.

Apparently when someone pointed out that it might be a bit hot out there they came back with something to the effect that "no matter, we will build air conditioned stadiums". When it was then pointed out that a more "natural" environment would likely be needed they offered to install wind and rain machines!

Apparently money is not going to be a problem for them.

*Note to self - must try to get on the relevant FIFA board in time for this deliberation - the brasses and backhanders will be top notch!
  • Options
    I'm more fortunate than most - I saw all 10 London matches in 1966 (incl the Final). It seems inconceivable that the earliest I can expect to see the tournament return is now 2030. Oh well - I'll only be 83 !!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Qatar are the bookies' favourites for 2022 ?!

Fella I work with does a lot of work out there. He was telling me the other day just how desperate they are for this.
    They've got Zidane advertising their bid on British television, and we don't get to vote on it! They're do anything possible to get it, money is not an issue.
    [cite]Posted By: GlassHalfFull[/cite]I'm more fortunate than most - I saw all 10 London matches in 1966 (incl the Final).
    Nice one!
  • Options
    Old memories are all well and good, but what about sharing some new ones ? I have followed England again recently, home and away, and know what 2018 would mean - not just to us but to all fans in general.

Mind you, I think that inflation will play a part. My ST cost me 4 pounds 10 shillings (the Final itself cost 10 bob) - 4.50 nowadays wouldn't buy you a single programme.