Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car battery charging. A warning.

edited November 2010 in Not Sports Related
Now I'm sure none of us would do this........but we might know someone who could. A friend of mine, who knows about motors and things mechanical, put a battery on charge the other day as the cold weather etc. had got to it. He put it on charge in the morning, went to work and promptly forgot about it. Thus it was on a high charge rate a whole day and most of the night. At about 5.00 a.m a loud bang woke him and his missus up and he went to investigate. His garage adjoins the house and when he went in there was a strong smell of acid and that unmistakeable odour of burning electrics. Pieces of battery were scattered around the garage and acid was happily burning its way through various items, in particular the paintwork of his very precious Triumph motorcycle. What caused it? He had neglected to loosen or remove the six plugs on the top of the battery and the gas produced by the charging action built up inside it until the pressure got so high it explode the battery. Lucky he didn't charge it up in the kitchen like many people do. (I've another tale about that but you've probably had enough for tonight)!

Comments

  • I thought those little plugs usually had holes in them to prevent any pressure built up. Cheers for the warning anyway.
  • It's thought that the breather holes had become blocked : it was quite an old battery in an even older car so it's quite possible some muck got into them. His 'bike is (was) spotless , the car a mess.
  • Worth checking your car battery in this weather, mine went recently and the one in my parent's two year old Ford something failed a couple of days ago.
  • Tut tut tut March51 you should have used a trickle charge. It would have given you much more time to realise that it was still charging.
  • Once a Battery needs charging sadly it's on it's way out you are merely postponing the inevitable.
  • edited December 2010
    Sorry uncle, it really was a friend and besides I would have set it up in the kitchen: that way the missus doesn't let me forget the thing's there!
  • Sorry March, but charging a car battery in the kitchen in very dangerous. The Sulphuric acid fumes as you are aware are explosive are in such inclosed area as the kichen where the gases can accumalate, any spark ie lighting the gas cooker or turning on a light switch could cause it to explode. Batteries should always be charged in a well ventilated area.
  • Thanks T.C, I didn't really do it in the kitchen: the bedroom was much better and there are never any sparks in there! Anyway it doesn't apply any more as DVLA have revoked my licence 'cos of this stroke/sight business and I flogged the motor last week. Want to buy a charger?
  • edited December 2010
    March - My Dad taught me to undo the plugs on a recharging battery! And this is no coincidence... as you are my Dad.

    TCE - if he hasn't learned to be safe by now, I fear he never will. I assume he didn't ever start a thread about setting fire to my feet by pouring petrol on a bonfire?
  • Haven't you got some work to get on with JiMMy? Anyway you were standing too close!
  • Sponsored links:


  • edited December 2010
    One of our apprentices blew up a 48volt battery weighing 800 kilos, he sparked his lighter when trying to light a burner to resolder a cable.
    He was standing 12 feet away when went up. The noise was deafening.
    [cite]Posted By: JiMMy 85[/cite]March - My Dad taught me to undo the plugs on a recharging battery! And this is no coincidence... as you are my Dad.

    TCE - if he hasn't learned to be safe by now, I fear he never will. I assume he didn't ever start a thread about setting fire to my feet by pouring petrol on a bonfire?

    Them were the days when you could do that to the children, with no fear of the social services getting involved.

    My Grandson's only 8, he's got his own fecking Lawyer. ; )
  • Yes and petrol was a lot cheaper 12 years ago, made it a viable propositon.
  • I wondered why I always loosened those plugs!
  • Do people still have cars that live in Greater London? I would have thought public transport was a much more sensible option.
  • March doesn't live in london.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Do people still have cars that live in Greater London? I would have thought public transport was a much more sensible option.

    We have them we just don't drive them - that's why the batteries go flat!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!