Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clearing the snow of the pavement.

2»

Comments

• Options
    In the olden days (70's) when i was young i was sent out to clear the snow from the path and it was good fun, an excsue for a hot chocolate afterwards. A guy in my office said he PAID his children £5 each this week, - daylight robbery
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]In the olden days (70's) when i was young i was sent out to clear the snow from the path and it was good fun, an excsue for a hot chocolate afterwards. A guy in my office said he PAID his children £5 each this week, - daylight robbery

That must be below the minimum wage. Slave labour.
  • Options
    i'd be less worried about being sued, more worried about killing yourself. Christ it is back breaking work ! Didn't think it was possible to get sweat on outside in this weather.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]i'd be less worried about being sued, more worried about killing yourself. Christ it is back breaking work ! Didn't think it was possible to get sweat on outside in this weather.

That's you thinking you might run into Dave Mehmet again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I am pleased that the police are doing this.
    Twice this week I have faced an avalanche from car roofs with over a foot of snow on them. Its been like a massive snowball hitting you at 30 plus mph
    The number of drivers who just clear the front windscreen is also worrying,
    Just how bone idle and selfish are some drivers?

Being a "White van Man" I always clear all 4 windows (front & back and 2 side windows) but cause i'm only 5ft 8 I can't clear all the snow off the top of the van.
    Sorry about that.
  • Options
    cleared the drive and the pavement outside my place and the old folks next door. Of course if anyone falls arse over tit outside my gaff and sues me so be it ----------the shovel will be used to lop off their heads and of their lawyers,the heads stuck on poles to ward off human rights twats to stay the f**kout of Kidbrooke !!

"evil exists when good men do nothing" -----------------------dont let the Elf an Saftey mafia rule your life.
  • Options
    ehydyq.jpg

Mid-May over here, my car is under that lot!
  • Options
    A light dusting for the time of year then?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]I heard on the radio & have a friend who has experienced today that police have started giving fines & points to drivers who leave excess snow on their roofs when driving.  It is against the highway code & can apparently result in 3 points & a £60 fine if you're unlucky enough to cross a grumpy member of the plod!

Make sure if you're driving tomorrow you brush off your roof & if you're walking make sure your bobble hat isn't packing a snow drift.
     [/quote]

My ol man was out on Wednesday walking to the shops. As he was walking, he saw a Police call pull a car over because it only had a small part of the windscreen cleaned of snow, and every other window still covered. He said the Police were having a right old go at the driver!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    Being a "White van Man" I always clear all 4 windows (front & back and 2 side windows) but cause i'm only 5ft 8 I can't clear all the snow off the top of the van.
    Sorry about that.

No worries - I always give you guys a wide berth anyway, all year round..

I have had near misses from 'trays' of icy snow from cars that could have been cleared by a child.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spent the day yesterday clearing the drive, and trying to help the more elderly residents, clear a path way to there garages so they can get to there food/supplies.

I put down any salt they had to stop them freezing over!...... be a good idea for people to check with there elderly neighbours, and see if they can 'help'.

Frankly most were glad to see someone take the time to just check on them!.

My small side road that I live in is still totally frozen, and got my first post since Monday yesterday ( Friday).

Bexley council has not cleared the pathways to the local Alms Houses, and feel they should at least be helping the 'vunerable'.

I do not expect the council to assist me...... but they seem pretty scarce around here!.

I know a lot of council workers are very dedicated ( my friend has not been home for three days and is sleeping at work) but acccording to Goverment minister Hammond
    no local council has asked for assistence to the salt they had stock piled. Good luck to the guy on BBC local tv taking the disabled man to hospital.

Bugger the scare stories, and urban myths, help your neighbour!
  • Options
    Rain over night has cleared away most of the snow here.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    One for Scots addicks: according to Sky's Scottish channel (ch 166) Edinburgh residents are legally responsible for snow and icicles hanging from the edges of their houses. So if you're impaled by a large, falling icicle you can sue them. Who says daytime telly's a waste of time?
  • Options
    Good to read that we are helping each other out. After the extremely cold night and the thaw, the pavements went from dangerous to absolutely lethal. My neighbours and I started clearing the path and pavement of our neighbour who is elderly and suffers from schizophrenia. While we were doing this a man walking his dog said, that's a great idea, and cleared a load of pavement outside his house and two of his neighbours.

I really hope I've started a trend and people stop sitting around waiting for other people to do these things. It's been a great way to get to know the people in my area. Roll on the next cold snap I say.
  • Options
    I cleared my path when I saw my next door neighbour out doing his and we agreed he would clear the path of the lady on the end (he fancies her) and then he would do the bit leading to my gaff and I would do the bit on from mine. The lass who lives next door to me had a stroke not long ago so being a good citizen once in a millenia I did that and the bit out the front of hers that leads to the young couple next to her.

Their path got cleared because I got bored but I thought they would see what had been done and follow suit. Did they bollocks! It all got left, got compacted ad became a 30 foot long skid pan as everyone else decided they were above clearing snow.

Bottom line is, some people are decent, some are thick as pig-shite arses and lazy, ignorant grunts who expect everything done for them.
  • Options
    Having spent last weekend clearing a small walkway down the close that I live in....... the dustman eventually turned up yesterday, and left the bins in the middle of the pavement, I come along and full arse over tail, on the remaining ice..... Although I landed on my arm, I like to think that justice was served, and I escaped uninjured, except feeling like a burk!.......

I appreciate that Bexley council have had a tough job. But why not leave some grit at spots over the borough for residents who are prepared to try and clear the pathways.Essentially enough residents around here helped out there fellow neighbours, it would have been 'supportive' from the council to at least clear the Alms houses, and High street to help elderly residents, get out to try and get shopping and pay bills.Not everyone has a 'butler' to assist them, or buys on the internet, or has there own transport. I am all for the council helping the vunerable, old, and disabled, and directing there resources to those people. In Bexley village I am afraid that did not happen!. Although I did notice parking assistants ticketing people on metres in Bexleyheath!, and quite a few of them....yes I do know they are an 'outsourced' company!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]I appreciate that Bexley council have had a tough job. But why not leave some grit at spots over the borough for residents who are prepared to try and clear the pathways.

Exactly. That is what happens here in Prague even though a change in the law recently meant that councils took over primary responsibility. There are orange bins full of grit every few yards. Many Czechs actually take pride in clearing their part of the path, and it has finally affected me. Unfortunately I live on a corner and have a large chunk of path to clear. And we had a lot of snow this last two weeks.

I wanted to say though that I heard Philip Hammond, the Transport Minister, suggest that the solution to the problem of uncleared sideroads, is for residents to get together and clear it themselves. YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER PLANK, HAMMOND. You have obviously never cleared so much as your own path in your life. An entire road? He's the one who should resign, not his Scottish counterpart
  • Options
    Mate of mine lives at the top of a hill and the road up to his house has a 'hairpin' style corner that's lethal in the ice. The council gave them grit at the corner before the snow fell, but some selfish planks used it for their own driveways. Meaning that when the snow was bad, he had to walk the 3 miles or so to work, it was too dangerous to drive. The snow will be falling again this week, I think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By[/cite]To the best of my knowledge IA is correct.

In essence you are fine if you leave it in a "natural state" as it is deemed "act of God" but once you interfere with the natural state you leave yourself open.

Sad but true. quote]

1. It cannot be proven in court that God exists.

2. People walking on and compacting the snow are changing its 'natural state.'
    On the basis of this argument why not sue pedestrians?

Therefore, it's better to clear the snow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By[/cite]CommentAuthorAFKABartram CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 quote# 34
    i'd be less worried about being sued, more worried about killing yourself. Christ it is back breaking work ! Didn't think it was possible to get sweat on outside in this weather. quote]

I have a list of the top activities for burning calories. In the top ten are those you ñight expect: jogging, rowing, swimming etc. Number one however is ´'shovelling heavy snow¨´