Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British passport? Made by foreigners.

edited December 2010 in Not Sports Related
I am not automatically opposed to "British" companies falling into the hands of "foreign" companies. After all, a company does not have a nationality and, if it's publicly-traded, it's shareholders could come from any country.

But, in the case of a company which prints and manufactures something as critical to national identity and security as the British Passport, it should not be possible for it to be owned, 100%, by a company based outside the UK and not paying UK taxes.

David Cameron should speak against this; and Vince Cable should block the deal. British passports must not be French made.

Comments

• Options
    This is the first I've heard of this so please excuse my ignorance, do you have a link to any new related to this?
  • Options
    Oh yeah , and what would Mark Kleinman know eh?
  • Options
    It won't happen. There'd a riot if this deal goes through.
  • Options
    Why on earth not ? The British passport is now essentially the same as all other EU passports so why not print it within the EU. In any case I doubt that a secure French printers can be any worse at keeping hold of sensitive documents or data than the British civil service or security agencies.
  • Options
    I go chatting to a bloke who worked for De La Rue once, they print currency for loads of foreign countries, sounded quite a cool job he had. And if the government of e.g. Kuwait, are happy that there's no security risk, then why not us?

In fact, maybe we should just get the Israelis to print out passports for us, they're quite good at it already...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]I go chatting to a bloke who worked for De La Rue once, they print currency for loads of foreign countries, sounded quite a cool job he had. And if the government of e.g. Kuwait, are happy that there's no security risk, then why not us?

In fact, maybe we should just get the Israelis to print out passports for us, they're quite good at it already...

Ha! Nice one! I think Mossad is probably better at stealing passports than printing them though!!!
  • Options
    What the f*** does it matter?
  • Options
    Can just see it now. They'll be selling them to the illegals at Calais before they climb under the lorry. ;-)
  • Options
    No one will care apart from the poor buggers who lose their jobs which is almost inevitable.
    Just one more in along list of skills leaving these shores
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]No one will care apart from the poor buggers who lose their jobs which is almost inevitable.

The article doesn't say that the jobs in question are going OS and I doubt that even our government would allow that. The question is over ownership.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]No one will care apart from the poor buggers who lose their jobs which is almost inevitable.

The article doesn't say that the jobs in question are going OS and I doubt that even our government would allow that. The question is over ownership.

I would like to believe that but from past experiences I can safely say when times get tough a foreign company will have even less loyalty to its UK workforce than a Tory government.
  • Options
    So when they want to question you on your application, instead of having to go to london, we'll now have to go to Paris for the interrigation
  • Options
    Whatever next? Don't tell me they'll be closing down the Royal Mint in London next moving it abroad to some backward little country just to save a bit a cash!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]So when they want to question you on your application, instead of having to go to london, we'll now have to go to Paris for the interrigation
    You already do. Petty France.
  • Options
    More like the song every minute.....selling England by the pound. The Frogs have the power companies and the major stationers along with the yanks, the Spanish have the travel companies...what do we have nowadays? Fuck all really. Seems like its a travesty these days to be proudly British owned.....cant even claim to be a nation of shopkeepers anymore as most of the chains now have a huge foreign influence (until they suck them dry anyway). Plus a change, plus c'est la meme chose as they say....
  • Options
    I can buy one in Kow San road in Bangkok for 30 sov's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Colin in Thailand.[/cite]I can buy one in Kow San road in Bangkok for 30 sov's.

There's probably a lot you can get there for 30 sov's!!