Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trying to remember a footy based drama from early 90's

edited December 2010 in Not Sports Related
it was about a Man City footballer and he was kidnapped by two lads and held for Ransom in a council flat . I remember the footballer was a black guy and I always thought it was played by Gary Beadle but there's no mention on his IMDB page

Comments

• Options
    are you sure this was on telly and not a dream?
  • Options
    Sounds a bit like 'The Crying Game' but that was a film set in Northern Ireland. Early 90s though.

Could have been a 'Comic Strip' production - Gary Beadle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Petefromcornwall[/cite]Sounds a bit like 'The Crying Game' but that was a film set in Northern Ireland. Early 90s though.

Could have been a 'Comic Strip' production - Gary Beadle.

Of course the absolute BEST footy drama from that time was the excellent 'Manageress'. don't recall Cherie Lunghi being held hostage in a council flat, though. Cherie Lunghiiiiiiiii...hubba hubba.
  • Options
    It was a one off drama on channel 4. Wish I could remember the name , anyone know any Man City forums they might be more likely to know
  • Options
    The Manageress
  • Options
    It wasn't the manageress. Like I said it was a one off plus I've got all episodes of manageress on DVD
  • Options
    This thread makes me want to go on a massive binge of the Hurricanes cartoon and Renford Rejects.
  • Options
    There was a football play called Eleven Men Against Eleven starring Sunderlands very own James Bolam around that time...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]It wasn't the manageress. Like I said it was a one off plus I've got all episodes of manageress on DVD

And you openly admit to this??????
  • Options
    The Comic Strip did a spoof of The Crying Game in 1992, by that time they'd gone from channel 4 to the beeb...

Gary Beadle was in that episode...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    it was called shooting stars and it was Gary McDonald not Beadle , he was better known as Darren in Eastenders

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=189895

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182420/
  • Options
    josies giants
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]It wasn't the manageress. Like I said it was a one off plus I've got all episodes of manageress on DVD

I own it too. It's triffic. Every football cliche in the book:- rebellious captain, decent manager overlooked by chairman, ground selling to local businessman, corrupt chairmen, underage sex scandals in papers, visit to Napoli, promotion run, racism, drugs, key player injured in friendly...

and Cherie Lunghi.
  • Options
    Anyone remember theres only one jimmy grimble. Loved that film. Cant get any clips of it on you tube. Only a trailor
  • Options
    Ball Boy in the Beano was great! I wonder if they still make The Beano? I haven't seen one in a newsagents for 15 years or so.
  • Options
    Yep - you can still get the Beano.

Used to like Billy's Boots in the Eagle.
  • Options
    Don`t remember those but remember a series called "Murphy`s Mob". Am sure that was a football series! Probably in the 80`s though!

Correct me if I`m wrong!