Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky+ box problem

edited December 2010 in Not Sports Related
This afternoon I got a message up on a couple of channels saying that they couldn't be received and to turn the box off and unplug it for a while. I did this then plugged it back in and turned the power back on: the red light came on and I let it warm up. Now nothing at all happens: the remote flashes but there's no response from the box at all: just the constant red light. Anyone got any ideas- is it a gentle tap with a hammer job or something more technical? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ring Sky only way.
  • Options
    Make sure you turn off for a good few mins

Then switch on and leave for several mins

Then turn on by pressing sky button on remote

Lots of people rush the reset process

Fingers crossed
  • Options
    There are loads of resets available on the net depending on what type of problems you are having.A lot of users including me found i started getting problems at the end of first year so unpluged box from bt line reset box and have not had a problem since then.Some people think sky send something down the line that messes with your box so they can then sell you their maintanence package!Good luck..
  • Options
    just had this problem with my sky+ box. i had to ring them 5 or 6 times because they didn't sort it. Eventually i had to do a big reset which involved holding a button on my sky+ box whilst i turned it on and it sorted it. Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks folks. I'll unplug it overnight then have a go in the mornig. Must admit things haven't been quite right for a couple of weeks, i.e box not reacting to remote so I'm expecting the worst!
  • Options
    If you don't mind losing any recordings you could try this:

Unplug the Sky box at the mains
    Press the left and right navigation buttons on the front of the box whilst plugging into the mains again. Do NOT release the buttons until the green Play light comes on ~ 30secs.
    Press Select. The play light will then rotate clockwise for about three minutes whilst the box resets itself. The box will go into Standby.
    Leave for 2-3 minutes whilst the hard drive reformats and then proceed as normal.
  • Options
    Maybe a stupid question, but is your dish free of snow/ice?

We (and our neighbour) had the same message but then cleared the dish of snow and it was fine....this was last Thursday though!
  • Options
    Thanks HN, we have got some saved stuff, but no doubt it'll come round again. I'll try that if all else fails.

The dish can't be seen from the ground Arry, but there's still quite a bit of snow/ice out here in the sticks so it's quite possible that started the problem. I think the box should still turn on though, and if we do get it going I'll get the ladder out!
  • Options
    On the remote, try:

Up, Up
    Down, Down,
    Left, Right,
    Left, Right,
    B, A,
    Start

Should clear it '-)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My box packed up the other day Mr March, because some icicles were earthing the dish to the ground! (The bit in the middle with the wires in!)
    Sent the wife out with a toffee hammer and hey presto, footie was back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also had a problem with the remote not flashing.
    I changed the batteries, twice, then as I was on hold waiting for sky, I tried one of their tips
    You apparently remove one battery and then press every button one at a time in order and it worked!
    Felt a right plonker when the girl asked what the problem was and I said, erm, nothing! thank you goodbye!
  • Options
    My one went wrong a couple of weeks back, told them I'm cancelling my contract.
    They gave me a new box and an engineer on a Sunday, all for no charge.
    I believe they will do the same for everybody, just to keep your custom
  • Options
    Thanks everybody, I've tried all the ideas but to no avail: it looks like it's an ex-box so I'll give them a ring and hopefully I'll be as lucky as Charltonkeston and Smudge7. Will also send the missus up on the icey roof to check the dish (good idea Creepy).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bigmac[/cite]There are loads of resets available on the net depending on what type of problems you are having.A lot of users including me found i started getting problems at the end of first year so unpluged box from bt line reset box and have not had a problem since then.Some people think sky send something down the line that messes with your box so they can then sell you their maintanence package!Good luck..

Couple of things I am keen to point out here - first off, this is paranoia of the highest degree. Most of the calls anyone gets about coverage for the box are from third party, non-affiliated companies who have nabbed the Sky database through one of many (probably illegal) means. So it's not in Sky's interest for you to pay them money. Also, I am not sure which department this falls under if it is true. It's certainly not in my PDP this year to make sure 100 boxes break for no reason!!

The other is, contrary to popular belief that call centres are a source of revenue, each call ultimately COSTS Sky £3.50. They are desperate to make things easier for people so that the call centres don't have to keep expanding.

Given the snow/ice still in March's area, that's what my money is on. My dish is just three feet off the ground, so when rain or snow bother it, I just take a tea towel outside and dry it off. Works every single time!
  • Options
    had problems with the picture on my Sky+ HD box over the last week or so, unplugged it for a few minutes then plugged back in and it seemed to be o.k.

I put it down to the weather although it was particularly bad last night and most of the snow is gone.

Dish is on the roof and there's no way I'm getting up there !
  • Options
    HD boxes, especially the early ones, are a joke. I gave up on mine, ended up with the terrabyte box. And it rules. Still haven't got it below 40% capacity!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Dish is on the roof and there's no way I'm getting up there !

Send the wife up there!
  • Options
    only problem I have with my Sky+HD box is the fact that the control buttons are on the top and my cat finds this a nice warm place to sleep and subsequently changes the channels at the most annoying of times
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JiMMy 85[/cite]HD boxes, especially the early ones, are a joke. I gave up on mine, ended up with the terrabyte box. And it rules. Still haven't got it below 40% capacity!

I thought about uprading to the terrabyte, but winced at the price. Also I tend to delete as I watch so I rarely have an issue with space.
    Give it a couple of years and Sky will be giving them away to their most loyal customers(all of us that moan). I have to say, I have never had a problem with Sky. Always willing to keep my custom unlike Nynex (old cable company merged with many others) many years ago.
  • Options
    I had problems with my broadband speed (talktalk not Sky), and found that unplugging the Sky box greatly improved download speeds. I don't know why this should be, but I'd recommend trying it if anyone else has similar problems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    March, ring them and ask to be put through to cancellations and refuse to discuss it with anyone else. When you get through, explain whats wrong and tell them you refuse to give sky anymore cash than you already do so you wish to cancel and your going to give virgin a try. Cancellations have more say than the other departments.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I had problems with my broadband speed (talktalk not Sky), and found that unplugging the Sky box greatly improved download speeds. I don't know why this should be, but I'd recommend trying it if anyone else has similar problems.

I also had that fault. I never have any of the pay per view so I dont really need the phone plugged in.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip T.C.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I had problems with my broadband speed (talktalk not Sky), and found that unplugging the Sky box greatly improved download speeds. I don't know why this should be, but I'd recommend trying it if anyone else has similar problems.

I also had that fault. I never have any of the pay per view so I dont really need the phone plugged in.

I bought a new sky + box off the net and set it up and didnt bother putting the phone line in and last week we got a letter for sky saying one of your boxes dont have the phone line connected. Was suprised cause I didnt think they even knew if the phone line was in or not.