Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Feb 1st 1986 Middlesbrough 1 Charlton 3

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Ayresome Park: Middlesbrough 1 (0) (Rowell pen 59) Charlton Athletic 3 (0) (Flanagan 46, Mowbray (og) 57, Stuart 83). Att: 4,465

Middlesbrough: Pears, Laws, McAndrew, Mowbray, O'Riordan, Pallister (Beagrie) Hamilton, Heard, Slaven, Stephens, Rowell

Charlton: Johns, Humphrey, Reid, Curbishley, Berry, Pender, Stuart, Lee, Pearson, Aizlewood, Flanagan. Unused sub: Shipley.

Referee: A Robinson (Radcliffe)

Reid had a penalty saved in the second half after Stuart was brought down. Humphrey's cross was diverted into his own net by Mowbray.

*Boro manager Willie Maddren resigned after the defeat. (what is it with these managers that can't take defeat by Charlton?)

Coming up: Ten man Charlton deny Rodney Marsh's QPR from 1968.

Comments

• Options
    If I remember rightly, Mark Stuart scored a cracking goal in this match. Got the ball on the half-way line and beat about four players before slipping it into the net. Mind you, it was freezing cold that day with a wind blowing off the North Sea.
  • Options
    Remarkable attendance for such a 'big' club
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite] Charlton?)

Looking forward to this one, H & A...... one of the classic fightbacks against all the odds!
  • Options
    Same season we Also lost to West Ham(FA)Chelsea(Full Member's)& Palce(milk cup)also remeber the freight rover trophy,Associate members final,zenith cup final and football league cup(Cup competitions but not all the same season)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]

I'm looking forward to this one. My first ever game.
  • Options
    It was so cold that day that the police allowed those of us standing in the open corner to move to the seats undercover. They also arranged for some guy to bring around some hot bovril or something at half time as there were no refreshments from memory.......... i must admit i thought it was Rob Lee who had a pen saved but my memory is pretty bad these days......
  • Options
    Like A S I was also at this game.

The previous week had seen some terrible storms hit the east coast of England, and the away end at Ayresome Park had been closed on Health and Safety Grounds as they felt it could blow off completely should there be any further strong gusts.

It was the coldest I have ever been at a football game and I must confess, I had my thermals on, but still lost all feeling in my feet. There weren't many of us at the game and as we stood shivering in the corner, the Teeside OB obviously felt sorry for us and moved us behind the goal under some cover. The free Bovril that was provided was a Godsend.

If I remember rightly, the supporters Club wrote to the local OB thanking them for their consideration (bearing in mind at the time all football fans where terrorists) and they wrote back to the club praising us for our behaviour, joviality and welcomed us to return anytime.

I can't believe how small that crowd was until I saw we had 5,932 three days later against Brighton at Selhurst Park.
  • Options
    Went by coach!freezing
  • Options
    This please :smile:
  • Options

It was so cold that day that the police allowed those of us standing in the open corner to move to the seats undercover. They also arranged for some guy to bring around some hot bovril or something at half time as there were no refreshments from memory.......... i must admit i thought it was Rob Lee who had a pen saved but my memory is pretty bad these days......

I think they served the bovril out of the back of the police van, I seem to remember it was raining and the seats they moved us to were in the stand that had been closed after the Bradford fire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7403992994

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    This was one of my first long distance away games.

Just looking the team we put out that day. How we could do with the likes of some of those players now.
  • Options

I think they served the bovril out of the back of the police van, I seem to remember it was raining and the seats they moved us to were in the stand that had been closed after the Bradford fire.
    Yep....two coppers serving Bovril out of the back of the van. Brilliant day.....we played really well and moved into those covered seats behind the goal during the second half. They couldn't have made us more welcome.
  • Options
    Went to this one and remember it well. We were excellent in the 2nd half and ran out deserved winners. Missed a penalty as well. We were kicking towards the home end when we scored the 3 goals and as someone pointed out we were allowed to move from the open corner terrace into the seats behind the goal. That allowed us to make a much better atmosphere.

Mark Stuarts solo goal was a cracker. Also remember thinking what a dump Ayresome Park was as when I had seen it on tv previously it had looked okay. They were a club in decline(sound familiar?) and I am sure they got relegated that season if anyone can recall that?
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Went to this one and remember it well. We were excellent in the 2nd half and ran out deserved winners. Missed a penalty as well. We were kicking towards the home end when we scored the 3 goals and as someone pointed out we were allowed to move from the open corner terrace into the seats behind the goal. That allowed us to make a much better atmosphere.

Mark Stuarts solo goal was a cracker. Also remember thinking what a dump Ayresome Park was as when I had seen it on tv previously it had looked okay. They were a club in decline(sound familiar?) and I am sure they got relegated that season if anyone can recall that?

Pretty sure they went down that year. Something that stuck in my mind was the stewards wishing us well for the rest of the season after the game. This was when away fans were still treated like animals at grounds and you had to be very careful, especially up north.
  • Options

E-cafc said:

Pretty sure they went down that year. Something that stuck in my mind was the stewards wishing us well for the rest of the season after the game. This was when away fans were still treated like animals at grounds and you had to be very careful, especially up north.
    Was there much trouble in those days then?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    @ElfsborgAddick; Put it this way, when our third went in a troop of M'boro's finest came towards the away end and were deterred by police with dogs in the stand. Straight after the game we were put in a special bus with grills over the windows- reminded me of something like a US prison bus- can remember standing room only and no upholstery, just lots of metal inside. When we got back to the station i remember a couple of scallies mooching around muttering the question 'have Charlton brought no boys?' to see if they got a reaction and they didn't because in those days most of us knew very well how to keep our heads down and blend in very effectively.

Other than that it was the perfect day out. Very hospitable home fans before the game, looking after us in their supporters club. Programmes just 20p too. Trips up north were cheap and cheerful occasions, and could be dangerous. Compare to Middlesbrough now, which is one of the dullest most sterile places to go in my view.
  • Options

@ElfsborgAddick; Put it this way, when our third went in a troop of M'boro's finest came towards the away end and were deterred by police with dogs in the stand. Straight after the game we were put in a special bus with grills over the windows- reminded me of something like a US prison bus- can remember standing room only and no upholstery, just lots of metal inside. When we got back to the station i remember a couple of scallies mooching around muttering the question 'have Charlton brought no boys?' to see if they got a reaction and they didn't because in those days most of us knew very well how to keep our heads down and blend in very effectively.

Other than that it was the perfect day out. Very hospitable home fans before the game, looking after us in their supporters club. Programmes just 20p too. Trips up north were cheap and cheerful occasions, and could be dangerous. Compare to Middlesbrough now, which is one of the dullest most sterile places to go in my view.

I have been going away since about '82.

Am convinced hooliganism was a social problem and not too much to do with who you supported, more of a case of where you came from.
  • Options
    With all due respect you shouldn't be conceding own goals to clubs like Charlton ;-)
  • Options
    Some pretty big names in that Boro side too - Gary Pallister, Tony Mowbray, Peter Beagrie, Tony McAndrew, Gary Rowell, Bernie Slaven
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could not have imagined Les Berry was in that side. Always think of Pender and Thompson as the CB pairing. Les with us until the end of that season? Was usually pretty drunk during these games i admit.
  • Options

Les with us until the end of that season? Was usually pretty drunk during these games i admit.

Who you or Les?