Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Serviced offices - what's the point?! LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED

edited December 2010 in Not Sports Related
So, we had my work's Christmas party on Friday - invited about 50 third party suppliers to join us for drinks, food, music and a wii challenge during the day.

We finished up about 6.30pm and packed up everything in my office, locked up and headed out for more beers and a curry. Came in on Monday and the wii, games, ipod and ipod speaker and docking station have been stolen from my office.

Only people with keys - me and the cleaners.... Cleaners that the serviced office provide. The people (MWB) that run the offices say I have to claim off my insurance - which has a £500 excess and anyway, our company insurance has to show forced entry.

So tell me, how, when cleaners who the serviced office employ are the ONLY people with access to the office and the only people to go into my office between Friday night at 7pm and Monday morning at 8.30am when I got in, are they not liable for the losses?!

It's BLOODY lucky that it's my company and I will re-imburse myself for the loss otherwise my two sons would have no Wii to play their newly bought Christmas presents on and a new ipod on which my wife can play her new music on either! It could have ruined our Christmas!

Anybody got any legal advice please?!?!

Comments

• wait and have a 'chat' with the cleaners!
  • Simple - put an unobtrusive but visible dummy cctv camera in the office (one of those little globe things should do) overlooking the area the gear was stolen from, then leave a prominent note saying it's all been caught on camera but if the stuff is returned no further action will be taken.
  • [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]Simple - put an unobtrusive but visible dummy cctv camera in the office (one of those little globe things should do) overlooking the area the gear was stolen from, then leave a prominent note saying it's all been caught on camera but if the stuff is returned no further action will be taken.

Very sneaky. I like it!
  • Aren't there a group of people called the Metropolitan Police who are supposed to help out with this sort of thing now and again?
  • Plod wont give a toss about it , as Eltham says , pin the cleaners up against the wall
  • First thing to do is read your contract with the company running the building which will give you an idea as to where you stand. I agree that the old bill can be useless sometimes these days ( I served in the late fifties before they started fast tracking graduates who often haven't got a clue ). I would however head for the Senior Officer in your district, also try and get your local paper to get involved, and kick some ass. Neither the company or the police will welcome bad publicity so get strong and don't let go.
  • Check your insurance...

Then cal in the plod, but tell the service company and anyone else you might suspect that you are going to the police in a day or so, but if the missing goods are left somewhere safe then no further action will be taken. You'll have to go to the police anyway if only to get a crime number for the insurance.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Aren't there a group of people called the Metropolitan Police who are supposed to help out with this sort of thing now and again?

Yeah Right! fat Chance with those wasters