Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boxing Day 1981 Cardiff City 0 Charlton Athletic 1

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
This freezing weather and a load of postponed matches reminds me of the 81 big freeze that lasted three weeks and devastated the whole sporting calendar.I seem to remember that our match was the only fixture played .We had two Charlton coaches and a Lewis coach take us to Ninian Park.It was freezing on the big away terrace and the few of us there stood huddled together singing away.Police kept us in after for about half an our until some irate Cardiff Scum calmed down.Its been a long time ago and I might have some of the details wrong but I think that was our first away win of the season.
I wonder if anyone remembers or were present for that match?Like I said before I might have the dates mixed up a bit.

Comments

• Options
    Was that the game when Killer score the winner in the first half? If so our coach broke down and we missed the winner. Vague memories.
  • Options
    I can recall getting in for nothing just before Hales scored ,but another Coach missed the whole of the first half.

81/82 was one of those seasons where with a bit of luck we could have gone up Johns was as good as any Keeper in that Division .Our defence was well marshalled by Leighton Phillips ably assisted by the emerging Paul Elliott . Up front we had Hales and Walsh.

I seem to remember we went on a good run only to be defeated at QPR , then we folded and fell away.
  • Options
    Yup, Loftus Rd on the plastic, 0-4 and we proceeded to fall apart.

Mullery said in his book that Gliksten asked him not to get us promoted as he couldn't afford it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Was that the game when Killer score the winner in the first half? If so our coach broke down and we missed the winner. Vague memories.
    Yes Hales did score.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yes i was at this game went on the Lewis coach as well.

My mate gave a cardiff fan a smack on the way back to the coach.

Happy days drinking on the coach as well.
  • Options
    Remember our coach broke down, arriving about 20 minutes into the first half, getting in through the gate for nothing just in time to see Killer get the winner. Also remember the mob of Cardiff waiting outside the away end afterwards and being kept in !
  • Options
    Yes and after we come out I remember the coaches being the other side of a large open field.There were a few skirmishes on the way to the coaches as the coppers seemed to have vanished. But it didnt matter because we were on a high after getting a very rare away win.