Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Official Singles Chart

edited December 2010 in Not Sports Related
I know this country has been going down the pan for a long while but I was somewhat staggered when it was pointed out to me today at what is currently No.66 on the Offical UK Single Chart.
Has anyone else seen this?

(Prepared to be a little shocked if you do look the title and artist up!)

Comments

• Options
    Apparently its some kind of protest against Nick Clegg but even so, how on earth did they get away with calling it that!
  • Options
    Since I've turned 50 I sometimes wonder whether standards are getting lower or if it's just that I'm getting older.

I'm genuinely shocked that this is not banned especially given that the average Singles Chart follower must be about 10 and probably doesn't care about Nick Clegg in any event.

Purile & irresponsible.
  • Options
    Strangely enough I'd just seen this myself (while looking for the chart position of Cage Against The Machine).
    I mentioned it to the guy sitting next to me at work and he says "Oh yes, I was cameraman on one of his previous videos".
    Catchy little number not as offensive as number one.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: charente addick[/cite]Since I've turned 50 I sometimes wonder whether standards are getting lower or if it's just that I'm getting older.

I'm genuinely shocked that this is not banned especially given that the average Singles Chart follower must be about 10 and probably doesn't care about Nick Clegg in any event.

Purile & irresponsible.
    If the average singles chart follower is indeed 10, then they'll already have been marketed to by Playboy, any number of teen-chart acts simulating sex acts in their videos and dozens of 'flirt' style text services on their mobiles. Two swearies buried halfway down the increasingly irrelvant singles chart is hardly going to make much of a difference - especially since one of the biggest-selling tracks of the year was called 'Fuck You'.
  • Options
    All this serves to do is reflect a) the purile state of the 'pop' industry, which now has little to do with music/talent, and b) the meaningless nature of 'charts', where 'outsiders' are ostracised.
    About 5 years ago I was helping promote local ska/soul band The Dualers, with a potential hit single 'Don't Go'.
    On the Saturday of release they played outside HMV Croydon and sold about 3,000 units in the store that day. This should have given them top 20 status on the Sunday, but we received a text during the chart show on Sunday afternoon saying that OCC (Official Chart Company) had blocked the single from the charts while they investigated an 'unusual pattern of sales' by a group that wasn't a 'member of the club'!
  • Options
    I actually didn't think it was that bad! I could see how it would offend people, but banning it?!

It's only no 66 in the charts - how many copies would you have to sell to get there? A few hundred? A thousand maybe? It's Christmas, I daresay a few lads have been buying copies as "amusing" presents for their mates.
  • Options
    Kunt And The Gang are genius, been listening to them for years
  • Options
    IMO better than X factor. To the best of my knowledge it aint a cover version of a well known hit of the past 20 years.
    But I'll give that one a miss. Stag night comedy, maybe best after a few pints.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading the charts for the first time in probably 20 years thanks to that link - blimey, how out of touch I am!

Who is this Rihannon character clogging up the charts?
  • Options
    Ask Dazzler
  • Options
    Kunt and the Gang? I'm sure they've been standing behind at games for the last few seasons?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Reading the charts for the first time in probably 20 years thanks to that link - blimey, how out of touch I am!

Numbers 48 & 52 more your time then Oakster?
  • Options
    This was a tongue in cheek attempt to force a song into the charts for christmas.
    Led by the phenomenal website b3ta.com, it was never expected to get to number one, but the fact that it got to 66 shows the influence they have.
    Also, Kunt and the Gang wrote the original song, then it was suggested to them that it could be considered to be a reference to Nick Clegg and his deference to David Cameron. KATG thought this was amusing and wrote an alternative 'Nick Clegg' version with relevant lyrics.

KATG have been making songs on the far side of offensive for some time now. They've got a solid cult fanbase and have never expected more.
    It's a joke.

PS For the uninitiated, a link to b3ta.com is below. To my mind, it's one of the best things ever to come out of the internet as it's free, totally uncensored and all links are virus free. More importantly, in places it's absolutely hilarious.

b3ta.com
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]This was a tongue in cheek attempt to force a song into the charts for christmas.
    Led by the phenomenal website b3ta.com, it was never expected to get to number one, but the fact that it got to 66 shows the influence they have.
    Also, Kunt and the Gang wrote the original song, then it was suggested to them that it could be considered to be a reference to Nick Clegg and his deference to David Cameron. KATG thought this was amusing and wrote an alternative 'Nick Clegg' version with relevant lyrics.

KATG have been making songs on the far side of offensive for some time now. They've got a solid cult fanbase and have never expected more.
    It's a joke.

PS For the uninitiated, a link to b3ta.com is below. To my mind, it's one of the best things ever to come out of the internet as it's free, totally uncensored and all links are virus free. More importantly, in places it's absolutely hilarious.

b3ta.com
    b3ta is funny for about 8 minutes. This figure may be longer if you are under 14, 'work' in graphic design or are the sort of person who is prone to repeating catchphrases from the comedy sketch show du jour.
  • Options
    b3ta is funny for about 8 minutes. This figure may be longer if you are under 14, 'work' in graphic design or are the sort of person who is prone to repeating catchphrases from the comedy sketch show du jour.

Ok, don't visit it then.

The weekly newsletter makes me laugh every week and I'm none of those things.
    By the way Leroy, I'm often puzzled by why you so often give your opinions so aggressively.
    Just saying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Reading the charts for the first time in probably 20 years thanks to that link - blimey, how out of touch I am!

Numbers 48 & 52 more your time then Oakster?

Well this was No 1 on the day I turned the poptastic age of 10!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]

Ok, don't visit it then.

The weekly newsletter makes me laugh every week and I'm none of those things.
    By the way Leroy, I'm often puzzled by why you so often give your opinions so aggressively.
    Just saying.
    That's not aggressive. That's positively tame for me. Anyway - I did visit it. And found it funny for eight minutes. That actually makes it marginally more entertaining than 90% of other internet meme sites.
  • Options
    Fair enough.
    :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    KATG!
    I saw them play at the Birds Nest in Deptford a couple of years ago.
    IA, I know someone in that video. Small world.
  • Options
    current favourites to be irish number one for xmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

its not all doom gloom and imf bailouts over this side of the sea
  • Options
    B3ta haha, that site was funny back in school. Not so funny 4 years later...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Jeez!!!

What the hell does it sound like??

They've censored it now.

I doubt this is the only messageboard discussing the song and its place in the charts. Obviously a lot of people checked out the chart to see if they would be offended, found that they were, and complained. Who looks all the way to 66 in the chart, apart from people who know what they're looking for?