Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup Memories: Charlton Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday 1975-76

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Anyone remember this 3rd round FA Cup tie with Sheffield Wednesday at the Valley? I remember hearing the Wednesday fans singing in the ground at about 1.30 that afternoon from my flat where we lived on Springfield Grove.

We decided to go down to the ground straight away and found them to in the Covered End. There was quite a lot of trouble there that day as Charlton fans re-took areas of the Covered End during the game which we won 2.1.

Any memories of that day?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2010
    I was there. Was the first game I remember real bad trouble at the valley.
    They had a massive noisy support come down and stoned the west stand from the bank behind the terrace (where the police box is now) during the second half after a goal went in. Remember half watching the game and the police horses charging around on the grass behind the west stand.

Strange to think of moving around the ground to be at the end you were attacking but many of us youngsters then did it.
    When did segragation come in at charlton probably after the chelsea incident (now that was a frightening night fires and all).
  • Options
    That was my first ever FA Cup game. The biggest memory was the Wednesday fans in the Covered End.
  • Options
    Yes we all used to move around the ground and watch from either the covered end or the open end mainly but a few other places as well. The Chelsea was a bad experience, we were only young then and it was the worst football violence we had ever seen up until then.

I can`t really remember any form of segregation until they built the south stand roof, then the police seemed to have more control of the away fans. Can`t really remember any teams apart from Millwall in 81 and Chelsea a couple of times early to mid 80,s going in the covered end, Portsmouth one year there was a lot of trouble on the small "clock" terrace by the covered end where Charlton used to stand once the covered was all seater. Might have been the same game where there was fighting at the top of the east terrace for the whole second half.
  • Options
    Obviously not talking about the game circa 96. That was a good cup tie though.
  • Options
    Yes that was a quality cup tie for us. We were going well in the league under Curbs and tore them apart for the first half hour and went 2.0 up through Grant and a Morts penalty. Remember going down to ten men though in the second half and they piled on a bit of pressure but we held firm and could have nicked a third goal on the break away.

Think it was John Humphrey who got sent off but not 100%. Good atmosphere at the Valley that day!
  • Options
    Yep Andy Sinton got Humphrey a second bookable, my biggest memory of the game though was Leaburn flicking the ball around their centrehalf and then hitting a volley from about thirty yards out. It was greeted with stunned silence as their keeper turned it behind for a corner, would have easily been the best goal of his career
  • Options
    Remember the 70's one really well, 1st time I had ever seen the covered end full of oppo fans. We had Pompey next round and they bought around 10,000 - me and my mates really chuffed to arrive at the Valley early to find it packed out with CAFC and probably the biggest away support I have ever seen down the The Valley at the roofless away end.

If memory serves Pompey got a late equaliser and we won 1-3 in the replay. Wolves away was next up, our away support that day must have been one of our top, for numbers, ever 8-10,000 (0-3)
  • Options
    BTW - The 90's tie with Sheff Wed was my eldest son's first visit to The Valley. His subsequent track record for support has meant that the oldman can join him at Spuds
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: E-cafc[/cite]Yes we all used to move around the ground and watch from either the covered end or the open end mainly but a few other places as well. The Chelsea was a bad experience, we were only young then and it was the worst football violence we had ever seen up until then.

I can`t really remember any form of segregation until they built the south stand roof, then the police seemed to have more control of the away fans. Can`t really remember any teams apart from Millwall in 81 and Chelsea a couple of times early to mid 80,s going in the covered end, Portsmouth one year there was a lot of trouble on the small "clock" terrace by the covered end where Charlton used to stand once the covered was all seater. Might have been the same game where there was fighting at the top of the east terrace for the whole second half.
    Millwall 81 did not go into the covered end or Chelsea and Portsmouth mid 80s.The last time I remember the covered end being taken over by Chelsea was the end of the 79 80 season when we got relegated and Chelsea got promoted.And that was after some fierce resistance by a few Charlton Diehards.