Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Southampton (26/12/10) - Preview, Poll, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited December 2010 in General Charlton
The cliched answer if you ask a football fan what they want for Christmas is "3 points" although this yuletide season sees Addicks yearning for something much bigger in the form of finding out who are new owners are (if any).

It however wouldn't be wise for us, the players or the management to take their eye off the ball and we simply have a massive games against Southampton on Boxing Day (if he goes ahead massive thanks to all those involved in clearing the areas around The Valley). With no game since sometime in Mid-August everyone seem to be a bit lost - I can't remember who is fit, who's suspended or who is just plain rubbish anymore...

A victory against Southampton (who haven't won in SE7 since our return in 1992) would provide a major fillip to Parky, the team and the crowd after a number of indifferent performances the last time we run out. Southampton always were (and probably still are) one of our major rivals in terms of the coveted promotion places but their form has been dodgy and the currently sit outside the top 6.

Teamwise, you can see the back five remaining the same as Brentford but with Simon Francis slotted back in a right back at the expense of assured debutant Carl Jenkinson. Against Southampton Parky will plump for the harrying (sp?) Scott Wagstaff over Lee Martin whilst Semedo, Racon and Jackson will make up the rest of the midfield.

Up top, Benno desperately needs a home goal to get his confidence back and hopefully Joe Anyinsah can shake off niggle and cramps and use his pace and power to annoy the Saints back line (probably including former right back Richardson).

Takeover or no takeover - 3 points is needed and is there a better team to finally put a performance in against? 2-0 Charlton.

Merry Christmas Previewers.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton win to see in new owners and a good send off to Murray as well hopefully

4-3 thriller
  • Options
    Christmas hangover comfortable Southampton win and the boo boys in full voice.

Happy Christmas!
  • Options
    Hopefully it's better than the boxing day fixture we had a few years ago at St. Mary's in the Premier League. That is easily the most boring game I've ever seen, think both teams only had one shot on goal, both going straight at the keepers.

Anyway, Saints welcome back Jose Fonte who was suspended in our last game which is good news for us. Richardson, Chaplow and Barnard have all be training after missing the last match and I think they face late fitness tests.

If we manage to get a victory it'll be by the odd goal in my opinion.
  • Options
    Cant see us winning this one. I think it will be 1-2 or 1-3. Sorry
  • Options
    Charlton win. This is the game that puts us back upto 2nd. COYR
  • Options
    this could be a boxing day cracker,except we aren't exactly a free flowing goal scoring side at home, parky likes to park the bus and contain the oppo and avoid defeat,which has produced some of the dreariest games imaginable in this division, though i'm sure a die hard will conjour out a home game that didn't suck the life out of everyone.but still it's probably the 30 odd boo boys fault who the rest of the fans just can't drown out with their own passionate choruses.

current form puts us in the top 2 and league place well, we are still only fourth. but somehow it feels like we are stuttering along.hopefully a good result will kick start our season again and we'll turn the corner. maybe the takeover was a big distraction for everyone but hopefully parky can get them focused as we put the blip against walsall behind us.

i don't think i could take it on here if we lose, with the board awash wih mass wrist slashing hysteria. so i'll announce to everyone how i'll lay low for a few days if things don't go our way.

a tough game that we shouldn't really lose.

1-1
  • Options
    I wouldnt say he likes to park the bus, i see him screaming to get out at the players but they dont seem very respondent.
  • Options
    tight game against a side that isn't a pub team , which is a rareity in this complete dogwank of a league we find ourselves competing in, whilst at the same time trying to pretend its the greatest most competitive division in world football

anyway ready made excuses if we fail to deliver cos the takeover talk and the "24th" has taken everyones eyes off the ball
  • Options
    Bit of a six pointer this one...
  • Options
    2-2 with the new owners being presented before the game! :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the new owners are unveiled before the game, I think it could lift us to victory, with a new regime the players will be out to impress.

If there is still no deal, I fear the uncertainty could prey upon the minds of players and manager and we could put in another shocking performance. Just look at how it has unsettled Charlton Lifers. If it has anything like the same effect upon the team tomorrow, we will lose.

If there is still no deal, I'd recommend a rare visit from Murray to the dressing room before the match to reassure everyone that there is no glitch and the deal is almost there.
  • Options
    what time is ko off tomorrow
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonLad[/cite]what time is ko off tomorrow

1pm mate
  • Options
    This has 0-0 written all over it.Anyone who gets down to The Valley on the 26th Dec i hold my hands up to you and wish you all a happy afternoon.Hope to catch old friends up on the south coast in afew days time.
  • Options
    thanks much appreciated jazzy
  • Options
    2-2 but we allmiss the goals as we try and work out who is in the directors box
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]2-2 but we allmiss the goals as we try and work out who is in the directors box

Haha so so true.
  • Options
    what time does the ticket office open?
  • Options
    I have a method of predicting results. Don't ask me to explain, it would wind me up in a hospital more than I actually should be. 2-0 Charlton.
  • Options
    Minus 6 tonight - wonder if this will go ahead?

Hoping for a 2-0 with new owners unveiled at kick off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fonte coming back will make a big difference for them.
    I also think they carry more threat going forward.
    1-2
  • Options
    I think it will be a narrow loss and a poor performance again. I can only put recent poor performances down to the fact that the players know something we don't about parky's imminent future. Shouldn't make a differences as they should play for the shirt and the fans but it will. The sooner all the uncertainty ends the better.
  • Options
    I think you just got it in your head yourself Large, that Parkys future is on the line!?I cant understand why any new owner, let alone Peter Varney, would want to get rid of a young manager who has shown some good potential!I know alot of Charlton fans dont rate him, including you, thats fair enough,its your own opinion after all!But I personally think we would be mad to let him go at this point in the season, I mean come on....realistically who would take his place anyway......Curbishley???I think some people who in the past have accused others of wearing rose tinted glasses need to start thinking about removing their own!
  • Options
    Hows SE7 this morning ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]I think you just got it in your head yourself Large, that Parkys future is on the line!?I cant understand why any new owner, let alone Peter Varney, would want to get rid of a young manager who has shown some good potential!I know alot of Charlton fans dont rate him, including you, thats fair enough,its your own opinion after all!But I personally think we would be mad to let him go at this point in the season, I mean come on....realistically who would take his place anyway......Curbishley???I think some people who in the past have accused others of wearing rose tinted glasses need to start thinking about removing their own!

Further rumours today that Wise will be Director of Football (Not sure what paper- info was texted to me). If true then maybe he will want his own man in or he will take parts of Parkies role away from him and Parkie will be given a "like it or lump it" option leading to uncertainty.

With regards to the players then I can understand if they feel that money is going to be made available a number could feel insecure. For instance Benson has only just started to find his feet at this level from a lower league existence, Reid is a confidence player who has not quite made it this season ....

We need the takeover to be completed so that stability can be enforced. At the moment everything including Wise is pure speculation and we need to kill that as soon as possible
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Hows SE7 this morning ?

well the games at Palace and L Orient have both just been called off....Hmmmm, what price ours ?
  • Options
    Need to know by 11:
    Got £25 cab booked...........
    ;-/