Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spurs v Charlton 13.12.87 (0-1)

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Who scored the goal?

Debate today in pub resulting in bets being made. Was there but my mind might be playing tricks.

Did Paul Williams 'foul' their keeper and David Campbell score?

Comments

• Options
    Spot on macca, keeper was bobby mimms as I remember.
  • Options
    Keeper was tony parkes, he lost three teeth in the challenge. A truly great awayday that was.
  • Options
    a sunday my dads team lesann had a big game so he couldnt go but i was there,great display
  • Options
    I don't think Williams "fouled" Parkes. If you look at the replay - i know, i did over and over again to prove a point to a Spurs mate - you will see that his foot was planted firmly on the ground and Parkes comes flying along the ground face first and straight into his standing boot - which was still firmly on the floor and hadn't moved.

No foul. Definitely.

David Campbell swept in the loose ball and that was that. Seem to remember it being a Sunday morning/lunchtime game for some reason. Don't know why - or if I'm right.
  • Options
    It was definitely a Sunday kick off, but why? I don't remember the match being televised and neither team was playing in Europe at the time - british clubs being banned then.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Probably the one decent contribution campbell made for us , he was proper lightweight and pony
    Think we bought him for 75k from forest and he was a Northern Ireland international
    Definitely an early sunday and a sunny yet cold and crisp one
    Decent turnout of charlton considering we had minimal support for our "home" fixtures at selhurst
    23 years ago ffffs where have they all gone (the years that is , not the away fans!!)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Terry Venables had just taken over and we were having a chuckle counting how many pictures of him there were in the programme-there was a real personality cult about him in those days, although funny enough a lot of spurs fans never liked him as a player and were a bit wary initially. He turned out to be just like every other manager who ever lost to us, "our worst display all year" or "it was a foul on the goalie" etc,etc. I suppose he holds the distinction of being the highest profile person to hear Alan Sugar tell him he was fired.

Although Williams technically probably didn't foul Parkes, it was unusual for an away team to get the benefit of the doubt like that, particularly us. I think this was the season when we didn't get out of the bottom 3 until the last week of proceedings and then had to negotiate Stamford Bridge on the last day. There was no danger of the season just fiizzling out in that period, thats for sure....
  • Options
    Although Williams technically probably didn't foul Parkes, it was unusual for an away team to get the benefit of the doubt like that

At the time I thought it was a foul - but as Off It points out, on replay it wasn't and the referee made the right decision. As I recall it was a 50-50 ball in open play, Williams being a footballer went for it with his foot while Parkes chose to play the ball with his face. The Darwin awards were invented for things like this.
  • Options
    I remember the ref delaying giving the goal but Paul Miller pointed out to him that the scoreboard had Tottenham 0 Charlton 1 and it effectively made up his mond to award the goal!