Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fixture congestion

Is that four games now that have to be rearranged?

Not looking good, is it?

current programme:

Jan : 5 league games and one FA cup game

Feb : 5 league games (in 25 days)

March : 5 league games (all squeezed within 21 days)

April : 6 league games

May : one game

and four more to fit in, none of them likely to be rearranged for Jan/Feb, I would guess, given the prevailing weather. We could well go into March with 16 games still to play...

Comments

• Options
    If this weather prevails into next month there might well be talk of the football league season being extended.

By the end of today each club should have played 22 games in League One. The vast majority have completed 19 fixtures, Notts County and Oldham just 18 and only three sides have hit the 20 mark.

At the end of the day, it's an entertainment industry. What's going to be entertaining about 22 knackered blokes lumping the ball and bludgeoning the hell out of each other having played two games a week for four months! There isn't exactly a lot of scope for "rotation" in this league!
  • Options
    Can't see that working mate. Wembley will be booked up for the playoff final and it'll be tricky to change the date. At the end of the day if clubs suffer it might encourage more of them to put money into undersoil heating. Tricky in our current situation, but a week of Hasslebaink's salary would have something in place. An absolute nonsense that clubs that have shipped out pots of cash (like Boro) don't have the facilities that tiny clubs in Scotland have managed to get... and don't get me started on Premiership clubs that get millions in TV cash is just nonsense.
  • Options
    At least it seems results are going our way (Huddersfield losing today)
  • Options
    if there's any compensation it's that nearly every other L1 team is in the same position including most of our rivals. We have a larger squad than most and surely will be better placed to rotate and rest players, more so if our mysterious new buyers invest in the playing staff.
  • Options
    I share your views on the Wembley issue Morts but there's no doubt another couple of weeks of this and there will be talk
  • Options
    These postponed games are a real bullbreaker but look at the league and we really have a great oppertunity to jump to 2nd spot and hold there.... maybe even top.
  • Options
    And while we didn't like the result and the performance at least we are out of the JPT competition.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]These postponed games are a real bullbreaker but look at the league and we really have a great oppertunity to jump to 2nd spot and hold there.... maybe even top.

Provided we give Brighton whats coming to them on Wednesday...
    It'd be nice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EastStand[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]These postponed games are a real bullbreaker but look at the league and we really have a great oppertunity to jump to 2nd spot and hold there.... maybe even top.

Provided we give Brighton whats coming to them on Wednesday...
    It'd be nice.

Yeah if we can do that, this league is for the taking and that result will really help us towards it all.
  • Options
    No Wembley this year due to CL. Not that it matters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It further devalues the argument, prem orientated granted, for a winter break. They wanted a january break, so with this months cancelations would mean chaos. During this "break" whats the betting they would go to Dubai or simular, just imho of course:-]
  • Options
    Can actually see them extending the season this year, last year the bad weather did not really affect the whole football league until January and we only had 2 postponements which was about average (I know some teams in l2 had 5/6 inc Rotherham).

However, almost every side in League 1/2 has had beween 2-4 called off and we are not even in Jan. I can see there being at least another weekend where there is minimal football not to mention the fact there are 3 sets of games in the next 9 days. Therefore maybe the football league will use common sense and extend the season by an extra fortnight.

Would certainly make sense imho and am now pleased we are not in the JP anymore as that would mean 2 mid week regional finals and a re arranged league game early April.
  • Options
    the 1st thing that should happen when a team gets promoted to the prem league is that part of their 1st year payment is advanced to the club pre-season, to install undersoil heating.
    i know this wouldn't save the 'surrounding area' issue but at least clubs like bradford, swindon, watford, barnsley etc would still be benefitting from their 'day in the sun' (no pun inteneded).

as for a winter break, just when would this be?
    we can get blasts of snow from november until march. you just know if it'd been introduced this season it would've been scheduled for january, when all the pitches will be playable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]if there's any compensation it's that nearly every other L1 team is in the same position including most of our rivals. We have a larger squad than most and surely will be better placed to rotate and rest players, more so if our mysterious new buyers invest in the playing staff.

Good Point.This will be an advantage to teams with strong and large squads.We could strenghten up with a creative midfielder and another striker.
  • Options
    I blame the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I blame the club.

Exactly. If we hadn't beaten Luton, we wouldn't have had to postpone yet another league match to go to White Hart Lane...
  • Options
    I am disappointed that no one has yet mentioned the obvious - it is all Parky's fault.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Happy Valley[/cite]I am disappointed that no one has yet mentioned the obvious - it is all Parky's fault.

It is. See above. He should have told them to lose at Luton!
  • Options
    Incorruptible - absolutely. We should have done a Man U and found a reason not to enter the FA Cup in the first place!
  • Options
    See Colchester have already pulled their home game tomorrow... that's New Year's Day in doubt as well then...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]See Colchester have already pulled their home game tomorrow... that's New Year's Day in doubt as well then...

Bad news!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Happy Valley[/cite]I am disappointed that no one has yet mentioned the obvious - it is all Parky's fault.

It is. See above. He should have told them to lose at Luton!

He did but they never listen to him