Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brian Laws sacked from Burnley....

....just announced on the BBC.

I was watching Sky Sports yesterday and the Gurney man (Dowie) was at this game and said that the natives were getting restless when Burnley went 1-0 down to Scunthorpe and I could hear some boo-ing when they went 2-0 down.

A statement from their directors said that they were disapointed at this season's results (they currently sit 9th) and are looking to get back into the Prem after last years relegation and are now looking for a new direction............ ( relegation to Div 1 perhaps ?)

Now, you can call me old fashioned, but where, excatly, do they think they should be ??? Last year had to be seen as a blip (a bit like Blackpool, Hull etc) and no way are they anywhere near a Premiership side and even the Championship is maybe a league too high.

Is it me, or do all directors think that they should be at the "top table" ???????

madness.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know about directors, but fans certainly all seem to think that they have a divine right to be winning every game and challenging at the top. Maybe I'm getting too old, but it seems that this is the case more so than ever.
  • Options
    Was thinking this yesterday afternoon after Dowie mentioned it.
  • Options
    agree. Burnley are at best a top six Championship side maybe flirting occasionally with the PL but instant relegation. They are certainly a smaller club than us. However, replacing Laws is a good decision. I was amazed he got the job in the first place. Who next ? Doubt they'd be able to attract Allaydyce, O'Driscoll is too good for them. Parky would do a good job there ;-)
  • Options
    They appointed a manager who was sacked from a team in the relegation zone of the Championship... when they were outside of the relegation zone in the Premier League... because it was a cheap and easy option...

What's the old saying... you reap what you sow?

To be fair, they came up, spent no money (apart from on Fletcher, which they more than recouped) played the go up to come back stronger card on the finances, strengthened the squad, and are way off the pace this season. They expected to come back, they played their hand last year on the basis of coming back... yet appointed a manager on the cheap to do the job for them.
  • Options
    Burnley did have that one good season under Coyle then quickly imploded after he wisely went to Bolton, Burnley are realistically a bottom half Championship side and no better, that said their supporters did not deserve Brian Laws who in my view is a very average League 1/ lower half Championship style boss (at best) whilst they were doing ok in the Premier League.
  • Options
    They only have one more season of parachute money - my guess is that they sacked Laws with a view to getting in a new manager to spend some of that money this January and somehow get them promoted and back to the land of greed.
  • Options
    He's probably been allowed to spend a lot more money than teams without the parachute money.

Realistically any team that goes up and has the Premier League money for a season followed by, what I believe now is £48m, parachute money must consider themselves favourites for promotion the following season. Particularly bearing in mind how Hull and Portsmouth are financially, Burnley can have few excuses for not finishing in the top two.

Just my opinion, but I actually think Laws is a poor manager, and I believe that with the squad they have they should be much higher than 9th.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]Just my opinion, but I actually think Laws is a poor manager, and I believe that with the squad they have they should be much higher than 9th.

Agreed, Burnley and Middlesbrough should have been top 6 bankers at the start of the season, as well as QPR and Cardiff. Anything else is failure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]They only have one more season of parachute money - my guess is that they sacked Laws with a view to getting in a new manager to spend some of that money this January and somehow get them promoted and back to the land of greed.

I think the Parachute money runs for 4 seasons now.
  • Options
    Why shouldn't they be ambitious? Charlton were once a bottom half Championship team before we bounced back from relegation from the Premier League and became an established top flight team. Brian Laws was always the wrong choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]....just announced on the BBC.

I was watching Sky Sports yesterday and the Gurney man (Dowie) was at this game and said that the natives were getting restless when Burnley went 1-0 down to Scunthorpe and I could hear some boo-ing when they went 2-0 down.

A statement from their directors said that they were disapointed at this season's results (they currently sit 9th) and are looking to get back into the Prem after last years relegation and are now looking for a new direction............ ( relegation to Div 1 perhaps ?)

Now, you can call me old fashioned, but where, excatly, do they think they should be ??? Last year had to be seen as a blip (a bit like Blackpool, Hull etc) and no way are they anywhere near a Premiership side and even the Championship is maybe a league too high.

Is it me, or do all directors think that they should be at the "top table" ???????

madness.

I don't see a problem with being ambitious. Maybe they would've gone down anyway, but I reckon if Coyle had stayed, they would be at the Top Table now. Their managerial appointment of Laws was very lazy at the time.

With the parachute money received, they should be challenging. They have a fair chunk of the side that did ok for a time in the Top Flight, & Laws has had a fair chunk of time to prepare a side up to the challenge of promotion, what with 2nd half of last season, the summer & the recent loan window. For whatever reason, it hasn't gelled for him/them.

I think that you forget the general CAFC fan feeling that we should've been 'up there' in '07, challenging at the top of the 2nd Tier, the season after our relegation, when we went on our slippery slide out of contention. There was a feeling at the time that our manager might've be the one to blame(Since confirmed), but we didn't make the change. Not that it always works, see Strachan, but sometimes a change can be the kick up the arse a flagging challenge needs.

As regards 'the blips', I for one, enjoy watching the underdog against the fatcats. I would've liked to see Burnley stay up last year, & Blackpool have been a real treat this season & I'd love to see them stay up. You almost sound like you are turning your nose up at these 'blips'. Ugh! Urchins! Get back to the filth & squalor of the Football League, you scruffy bounders, you!

We were once 'the blip'/anomaly on the Premier League landscape, & I'd love to see that happen again, yo-yo (for a while) or otherwise, but being as financially stable as could be, whilst doing it. Whilst time will tell if the Burnley bigwigs choice is justified, I wouldn't mind being in their position. If only we changed Pardew during the slump.
  • Options
    Phil Brown - 4/1

Ge on that. From same source as Pardew to Saints