Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs is Mr Popular in Poplar

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Hammers not taking to poor old Curbs

can't understand why - £2.5m for HH is a steal *snigger*

Comments

• Options
    He's got that kind of dour manner that not many people take to. And i bet the bling bling crew in the dressing room detest him too. Cant see it lasting myself.
  • Options
    I dunno, he seems to be buying players that'll be up for scrap know the premier league and will fight all the way and are very much a short term solution.

West Ham are up there with Spurs for delusions of grandeur. You're 3 off the bottom, what high quality players are going to jump ship to join some one in as precarious position as them? To get anyone to sign you're going to have to pay over the odds on salary - Neill, some one from the lower divisions - Quashie or someone not getting regular football in the prem - Davenport. Fulham look a better bet as an established London Premierleague side than West ham which is why Montella has turned up there...
  • Options
    Quote from the KUMB thread:

"Eggy seems to have ambition I don't think Curbs is the man to match that ambition and neither was Pardew (for reasons unknown but to be known soon apparently). "

What's the betting these "reasons unknown" come out in the build-up to 24th Feb??
  • Options
    The media's also been laying into Llewelyn - The Guardian had a pop yesterday, Sunday People did too. Possibly harshly.
  • Options
    Good.
    Sorry Llewelyn, but if the media attempts to undermine you helps us to finish in the top 17 then so be it.
  • Options
    We know that the media is full of Whammers hence the way that they are constantly talked up.

I think Curbs is a long view manager who plans months and years ahead. At CAFC he had the time and the chairman to do that as well as realistic expectations. At WHU there is a crisis, a new chairman who was very quick to dump pardew and a much bigger spotlight as well as very demanding fans. Remember when the argentines came it was full speed ahead for the Champions League.

At CAFC he said the same things as he is saying now but the press never pushed him or looked in any detail. Now with a press room half full of fans he isn't given the easy ride that he would have got at CAFC.

If he keeps them up he'll be a hero again just as Pardew went for zero to hero PDQ
  • Options
    I was having this discussion with a west ham fan at the weekend. My view was that if west ham are looking for champions league football in 2 years then they have picked the wrong man for the job.
  • Options
    Quite damning by the Guardian.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Quite damning by the Guardian.

But true.Never the most inspirational of blokes was he? It would be the same for us if he'd stayed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think some people on here are way out of line with their attitude to Curbishley.
    Jesus Christ, the bloke gave us 15 brilliant years and was in our top two managers of all time alongside Jimmy Seed and he's only been gone 7 months and people are crucifying him and trying to re-write history claiming, "He was never the most inspirational of blokes." He did not seem half bad to me.
    He left us at the right time for both parties, he had had enough of us and vice-versa and a change was clearly needed all round so I don't see why people are having a pop at him now when he has not said or done anything untoward to Charlton since he left us. Trying to buy our players is, of course, purely business.
    Tell you what people, I do rate Pards but if we go down and struggle in the CCC then there will be a lot of people wishing Curbs would come back again.
  • Options
    [
    Tell you what people, I do rate Pards but if we go down and struggle in the CCC then there will be a lot of people wishing Curbs would come back again.[/quote]

Not me.
  • Options
    Is that a fact? Tell you what, come back and tell me that when we have been there for three years and don't look like getting out of it.
    Pardew is the flavour of the month right now, and that's fair enough, but if we go down and then struggle with "his" team then the Curbishley years will start to look better and better by comparison.
  • Options
    Oh Dear another Curbishley debate, come on guys move on, he left nearly a year ago now.
  • Options
    Neither Pards or Curbs have an easy task at the moment for different reasons, but I'd rather be us with Pards to be honest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Tell you what people, I do rate Pards but if we go down and struggle in the CCC then there will be a lot of people wishing Curbs would come back again.

Not me.

prophetic.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well I haven't changed my mind.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    Pardew is the flavour of the month right now, and that's fair enough, but if we go down and then struggle with "his" team then the Curbishley years will start to look better and better by comparison.

good judge
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

good judge

It's a shame Ormy isn'ty around anymore - think he took a couple of digs a bit personal a few months back