Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Station Hotel and Alma in Sidcup

2»

Comments

• Options
    Brought back a few memories...I lived in chatsworth Avenue and Rowanwood Avenue Sidcup over a 25 year period and the circuit around the college next to the golf course around the lake and back was a regular dog walk ...had more time for the Alma than station.
    Used to find the students practising their lines in the grounds very amusing. It's a great shame they stopped playing cricket there ..it was a very nice setting. 
  • Options
    Used to go in the Alma occasionally, had a mate living in Hurst Road, early-mid 80s.
  • Options
    For anyone interested, that piece of land is about to go through another transformation. Work is starting now, will have M&S Food as a 20yr lease tenant with 59 flats built above.

My wife’s sister and her husband used to run The Iron Horse in the 80’s. We have helped out behind the bar on many occasions. Had some memorable lock ins there as well.
  • Options
    Rose Bruford produced Tom Baker (of Dr Who fame) and Gary Oldman amongst many others - top drama school, which my son is currently trying to get into 
  • Options
    I cann’t see the title of this thread without thinking of Alma Cogan.  Anyone remember her on “Take it from Here”?  I saw her as a support artist at the Royal Albert Hall back in the day.  Probably wouldn’t qualify for Celebrity Crushes but she had a very appealing husky voice.
  • Options
    I cann’t see the title of this thread without thinking of Alma Cogan.  Anyone remember her on “Take it from Here”?  I saw her as a support artist at the Royal Albert Hall back in the day.  Probably wouldn’t qualify for Celebrity Crushes but she had a very appealing husky voice.
    Yes. My mum was a fan of her. She went to see her live once and tells me a story she loved it so much she had to sneak out to go again the next night. 
  • Options

Was a crush of John Lennon apparently.  Quite a serious affair according to the John Lennon book I read recently by Lesley-Ann Jones
  • Options
    I still remember Alma Cogan, she was probably my first celebrity crush as a spotty teenager.
    Sadly she died young as i remember.

• Options
    Anyone been in Boyles Bar on Station Rd?
  • Options
    Anyone been in Boyles Bar on Station Rd?
    No but heard it’s good although gets cramped in there 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meant to ask about boyles looks quite good from what ive seen on instagram etc 
  • Options
    Just drove past and pretty busy. Think it’s been doing a good trade, seems aimed at the older crowd, has pianists, singers etc 
  • Options
    meant to ask about boyles looks quite good from what ive seen on instagram etc 
    Friends of ours own it.

• Options
    Just drove past and pretty busy. Think it’s been doing a good trade, seems aimed at the older crowd, has pianists, singers etc 
    Hope to visit sometime soon.

• Options
    This their first venture @HastingsRed or they already in the game? Seems to be going very well. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This their first venture @HastingsRed or they already in the game? Seems to be going very well. 
    They owned a shop in Greenwich market (kids clothes), Keiran is in a band (Irish folk) and Lara his wife is a friend of Mrs H.

• Options
    Blimey, how old are these people, I am 64 and would not go out to listen to a pianist.
  • Options
    Blimey, how old are these people, I am 64 and would not go out to listen to a pianist.
    Do you have to be a certain age to listen to someone play piano?
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Do you have to be a certain age to listen to someone play piano?