Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Gary Mason

Been killed in a cycling accident, nice bloke and a decent fighter

Comments

• Options
    terrible news -RIP
  • Options
    RIP, great guy!

My mate sparred with him way back, Gary was always friendly/laughing.
  • Options
    Sad news - RIP
  • Options
    Top bloke Garry went on a few black tie do's and he was mates with one of my pals and was on our table

Gutted truely Gutted
  • Options
    I'm shocked....RIP big man.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Gary and as a cyclist I hope they get to the bottom of this, they have arrested the driver of a van on suspicion of dangerous driving.
  • Options
    RIP underated fighter who gave lewis a fight untill his eyes starting to go,pure gent
  • Options
    top domestic fighter , not quite good enough for the world stage but a career to be proud of nonetheless.

we won't talk about the arm wrestling league
  • Options
    good enough to win a world title in many a era.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very sad news.

Came across as a really good bloke and was one of the better British heavyweights.
  • Options
    Brave as a Lion, I remember him giving it one last heave-ho against Lewis when he could barely see.

What a tragedy, RIP Big Fella.
  • Options
    His eyes stopped him getting a crack at a title,personally i thought more talented then bruno
  • Options
    RIP very sad news.
  • Options
    He banged into me uptown once and I rared-up at him before realising who he was. In an instant he apologised and I said "ok then." just as well for me that he was a genuinely nice bloke!
  • Options
    What Ormiston said. RIP
  • Options
    RIP Gary. Really nice man man lived in the same road when my kids were young, they and their friends should have driven him mad but he was always great with them always laughing and joking and never annoyed when pestered for autographs or his time.
  • Options
    He could have flattened a few of our so called top heavys today, A sportsman seemed to go about his business with a smile on his face---------unlike many today who think the World owes them everything. RIP.
  • Options
    as above
  • Options
    Sad news. Used to be a member of the same squash club. Never played him but apparently he was not very good tactically but was a bit scary to play against.

Saw him fight many times as well at the Albert Hall and Manor Place Baths.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad loss of a very nice guy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Very, very sad. About my age too so it always hits home. Came along after the Bruno Circus and IMO never got the recognition deserved.
    Detached retina caused him all sorts of trouble but he kept coming back. Spoke well and was no mug.

I may be wrong but from what I remember he fought a few Americans who'd gone in with "The Man". Also I think he only lost one fight, against Lewis. Gave him a good fight though. That was in the days when Lewis was getting paid by Don King not to fight "The Man". The Yanks had no interest in Lewis, and King could not sell the fight to HBO or others.

Lewis was more than happy to take the money. That's why he has no legacy.

I may be wrong,this is all from memory. Nolly will correct me if necessary.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]His eyes stopped him getting a crack at a title,personally i thought more talented then bruno

...............and Bruno agrees with you (according to BBC South East News). He fought out of Chatham & used to have a shop there called "Punch & Jewellery, my boys (when younger) used to often pop down there to see him & were pleased as punch (excuse the pun) when they had their photo taken with him & even more so when they took the photo down to him & he signed it. A really nice bloke. RIP Gary
  • Options
    Very sad, he was a local lad. Shocking news.

I too was at a black tie do with him once, a real gent.

RIP Gary.