Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New laptop v Ipad

edited January 2011 in Not Sports Related
I will need to replace my laptop soon will a Ipad do everything a laptop can do?
I only use it for the normal stuff, Photo's and internet that sort of thing.
Thanks
Ray

Comments

• Options
    Yes if that's all you do.

Go and try one at an Apple Store (Regent Street, Covent Garden or Bluewater). You will able to get hands on experience.

There are strong rumours of a improved version coming soon.

A reasonable laptop or netbook is cheaper
  • Options
    You can't watch videos on the net with Apple proeicts.
  • Options
    Got an iPad at Xmas Ray. For the money I'd buy a good laptop if I'm honest, having both, the ipad is really just a big iPhone without the phone, bit awkward to hold for longer periods and really just a gimmick. Still no flash available and that can limit what you view. Suggest a good Sony Vaio for similar money......very reliable too.
  • Options
    I think it depends on how much of your use is consuming content (watching videos, browsing pages etc) and how much is producing content (tweeting, facebook posts, commenting here etc). Personally I'd stick with a netbook for the moment, as not having a proper keyboard would drive me up the wall.
  • Options
    Typing this on my ipad...its more of an expensive toy than anything else. Great for the net and twitter, facebook, you tube etc but doesnt do flash so not all video sites will work. Iplayer works fine. You could get a decent netbook for half the price...recommend samsung for netbooks always get good value for money & decent bettery life. Sony is ok but pay a premium for the brand.
  • Options
    Macbook air
  • Options
    Get a Mac
  • Options
    You can buy a wallet for the iPad that allows it to stand on a table

You can connect a full size wireless keyboard

My sister-in-law got one for Christmas. Never used a computer.

Using it now without any problems.

Four people tried it out and all want one. That included her 86 year old Uncle.

Still say get your hands on one and try it.
  • Options
    I love my iPad. Have a lap top too but barely never use it now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Macbook air
    Really? What's that run you - about a grand? For something that will be used to browse the internet, send email and use flickr? How about just spending 300 quid on a low-mid range laptop instead?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ipad's are great and I'm not really a mac user. I think that most apple stuff is horrendously over priced for what you get, you're basically paying for the label when you buy any apple product.

The ipad is a fantastic little thing, quick easy to use and relatively well priced. But, if you already have an iphone/android (HTC desire for example) phone and a decent laptop, then I really can't see the point of a pad or tablet.

For me, the problem with ipads is that they are not different enough. They basically do exactly the same thing ,in some cases less, as a laptop. Unless you are a high end graphics person, a website designer/media editor/film-maker/regular user of 3D rendering software/ then there is absolutely no point what-so-ever in buying a mac.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Crusty54[/cite]You can buy a wallet for the iPad that allows it to stand on a table

You can connect a full size wireless keyboard
    Yeah, and that's extra expense and extra stuff you have to lug around with you. The cheapest ipad is £439, and the keyboards are another 50quid. For that you can get a DELL Inspiron Duo with 20 times the hard disk space and 2Gb memory.
  • Options
    I've got an Acer Netbook (Small laptop). For surfing, emails etc is really great. Its light and portable. It was a present but costs around £200. It has a decent battery life as well.
  • Options
    aliwibble I must concur, the Dell Inspiron series is incredible considering what you get for your money. A lot lower street cred perhaps but mine came to my rescue when I was without any multimedia at all living in Spain and for just over £300 it's still here now singing and dancing nearly 2 years later exactly how it was on day 1.
  • Options
    Love the ipad. Got a wallet with a wireless keyboard as well. Apple beats PC when it comes to wireless connectivity handsdown. Its great for watching meovies etc...although must admit not being able to watch flash video is a pain. the ipad is a good supplement if you have a laptop already if not get the laptop.
  • Options
    I spent €850 on a laptop for Uni stuff, turns out I need a mac instead which is gonna cost me about a grand, so now I'm just using this laptop for surfing and that's it. Such a waste of money
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]Apple beats PC when it comes to wireless connectivity handsdown.
    What? How does it beat a PC? Wireless speeds are identical, wireless security is identical and other connectivity methods (Bluetooth, Firewire etc) are identical.
  • Options
    For photos NO and here is why taken from another forum with names removed.

I bought an iPad and an iPad camera connector kit recently, which I was told would enable me to download images direct from my D700 to the iPad.

However, when I connected the camera to the iPad and switched it on, absolutely nothing happened. Am I missing a vital step?

Should I, or can I download Nikon Transfer onto the iPad?

Answer
    Dear ,

While I have no first hand experience of using an iPad for this purpose (for my requirements the functionality of the iPad is too limited as a device to import, review, edit and caption images) a little research on the Web makes it quite clear that the claimed compatibility of the Apple iPad connector kit is far from reality.

- If the iPad is ‘locked’ when you connect the image storage device via either the connection kit SD card reader, or the wired USB connector the iPad Photos application will not launch.

- It appears that in a number of cases using the USB wired connection between the camera (including models from Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Canon) can generate an ‘unsupported device’ warning,

- Similarly, using the same connection configuration can generate a warning that the ‘USB device is draining too much power’ from the iPad.

You may wish to take a look at these Apple support documents for some guidance:

support.apple.com/kb/HT4101

support.apple.com/kb/HT4106

If you are unable to establish a working connection between your camera and iPad I recommend very strongly that you return the camera connection kit to the point of sale and seek advice.

As far as running software on the iPad it uses its own bespoke operating system, which is essentially the same as the OS for the iPod Touch and iPhone. As such the iPad is only capable of running applications developed specifically for the iPad and approved by Apple, which are distributed via its on-line iTune store, so it is not possible to install an application such as Nikon View NX2, which incorporates Nikon Transfer, as this is only supported by versions of the Apple Mac OSX operating system.

Kind regards,