Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Sports and the great sound swindle

So I work over at Sky towers, and am in a training session today. Rarely does anyone from an interesting area attend these sessions. I did meet a Sports News producer once, who was complaining about the general appearance of his staff, particularly those who walk around in the background on-camera, and he hates bad spellers.

Anyway, I digress. Today I met a sound engineer from Sports. I asked him about how they do the sound, and he explained (which was great, as I always wanted to know).

But then he said something I didn't want to believe - Sky fake the sound. When the ground is too quiet for their liking, they have a specific program they put into action, that adds general crowd noise to games. March51 has been paranoid about this for years, and I kept saying he was imagining it. But today I found out different - half of the sound you hear on televised games is pre-recorded. I can't help but feel a little disgusted by this! He didn't understand why really, so I asked him if there were any plans to add CGI footballers to Charlton games, to make the quality of play look better...

Comments

• Options
    now the CGi sounds like the best idea we have had in a while.....
  • Options
    I don't believe this for a minute............some of our recent games televised by Sky have had terrible "atmosphere" and if they could have made the crowd sound better i'm sure they would have done so.
  • Options
    at the moment we need a CGI manager!
  • Options
    I can't believe you didn't relaise this. If you listen to the crowd noise on TV it is never once silent, there is always a background level of noise and there are times in a match when people are watching and not talking. Also sky don't want to broadcast real live crowd noise as sometimes its not the sort of thing you want little 5-year-old jonny at home to hear. And there are times when the words the crow are saying are very clear...Would you rather all matches were broadcast post the water shed to avoid potential problems?
    To solve both these problems they play 'fake' noise. I say 'fake' because they do record the noise to play out in a controlled and consistent fashion.
  • Options
    Do you reckon some of the football we have been served up for the last 5 years has been fake as well ?
    like we are living in a parallel universe?

Not sure how true the 'fake sound' story is to be honest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]I can't believe you didn't relaise this. If you listen to the crowd noise on TV it is never once silent, there is always a background level of noise and there are times in a match when people are watching and not talking. Also sky don't want to broadcast real live crowd noise as sometimes its not the sort of thing you want little 5-year-old jonny at home to hear. And there are times when the words the crow are saying are very clear...Would you rather all matches were broadcast post the water shed to avoid potential problems?
    To solve both these problems they play 'fake' noise. I say 'fake' because they do record the noise to play out in a controlled and consistent fashion.

Do they really cover up the noise a crow makes?

Ah well, goes to show that you can't judge a rook by its cover.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]I can't believe you didn't relaise this. If you listen to the crowd noise on TV it is never once silent, there is always a background level of noise and there are times in a match when people are watching and not talking. Also sky don't want to broadcast real live crowd noise as sometimes its not the sort of thing you want little 5-year-old jonny at home to hear. And there are times when the words the crow are saying are very clear...Would you rather all matches were broadcast post the water shed to avoid potential problems?

Have heard plenty of swearing on Sky Sports in the past. This weekend they even showed a close up of a Liverpool fan screaming "munich" over & over!

Was funny hearing Leeds loud & clearing singing "Your support is fucking shit" on ITV Saturday as well!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]

Have heard plenty of swearing on Sky Sports in the past. This weekend they even showed a close up of a Liverpool fan screaming "munich" over & over!

Was funny hearing Leeds loud & clearing singing "Your support is fucking shit" on ITV Saturday as well!

Both those games were on ITV though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

LOL!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

LOL!

The 'Fuck off Setanta' broadcast by Setanta in an England game was good too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What's that got to do with me saying I've heard swearing on Sky Sports in the past? (admittedly I did think the united game was on Sky!)
  • Options
    Put on sound is par for the course throughout broadcasting, when I worked for the BBC Natural History unit, I became an expert at making all kinds of animal noises and pacing around in a tray of gravel making the sound of David Attenboroughs feet. I always found that a looped tape recording of the Dartford tunnel is great atmos for mixing in all kinds of wildlife films.
  • Options

A bizarrely patronising tone you took there friend! Not sure why... anyway, you're a little bit wrong...

There's nothing they can do about swearing occurring on televised games. It's not that they control all of the noise, they simply fill in gaps at particular times. The swearing is regularly audible, and without timelapse, will always be so. They have up to 16 mics at an O.B, so whether you believe it or not the language and chanting it there for little Johhny to hear most regularly. As I am sure Shrew will know, the audio is controlled by a mixing desk, so they simply fade down the area of the ground that's doing the offensive chanting. But they can only react to it. What I'm surprised by is how much effort they go to to fake the atmosphere. Shrew's right, sound mixers and foley artists have been doing this for a century now, but I just didn't like to think they fake the football!

Shrew - This isn't you, is it? - http://www.wimp.com/behindsound/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Not sure how true the 'fake sound' story is to be honest.
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I don't believe this for a minute............some of our recent games televised by Sky have had terrible "atmosphere" and if they could have made the crowd sound better i'm sure they would have done so.

Haha what? The alternative is, either I made it up in an effort to... gain kudos? Really? On a Charlton forum? Or he's a 36-year-old compulsive liar who tells people he fakes stuff at work when really, he doesn't? Boys, you don't watch nearly enough Columbo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite] I always found that a looped tape recording of the Dartford tunnel is great atmos for mixing in all kinds of wildlife films.

Now, that is fascinating. How? I won't sleep until I know.
  • Options
    Perhaps Shrew should be known as Theo Foley.
  • Options
    Some grounds deffinately play pre recorded crowd noise along with what the crowd are singing to increase atmosphere.
  • Options
    Not just football. Most famously racing, I suppose. On pretty much every TV broadcast of racing you'll hear galloping, but only on the big meetings will you see any microphones. It's on a effects loop.

At the darts, there has always been a microphone behind the board. This year on the BDO coverage on the BBC there was some really strange and ugly processing which gave it a sort of cave echo thud, with loads of added reverb. But as they were mostly hitting 5s it didn't really make much of a difference.

Back to football, the sound on the goal by goal highlights is pretty much always faked, it's a generic 'lots of noise folloed by a cheer, usually the same cheer. The crowd noise is constant and the same cheer is played in every time there's a goal.