Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Italia 90 - were you there? Recollections wanted for football book

Hi there,

I'm a journalist writing a book on how football has changed since the 1980s. I would be very keen to hear from any fans who went to Italia 90 and who would be happy to share their memories of that summer.

Specifically, it would be good to hear how supporting England changed during that tournament: from being hard work through the dark days of the 1980s, to being a bit of a laugh, and something to be proud about.

Any contributions would be fully credited.

Many thanks,

Ade

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ade7[/cite]Hi there,

I'm a journalist writing a book on how football has changed since the 1980s. I would be very keen to hear from any fans who went to Italia 90 and who would be happy to share their memories of that summer.

Specifically, it would be good to hear how supporting England changed during that tournament: from being hard work through the dark days of the 1980s, to being a bit of a laugh, and something to be proud about.

Many thanks,

Ade

LOL, not worked out an angle yet then
  • Options
    I've got the angles, thanks. Just need some first-hand accounts of Turin, Naples, Cagliari, etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ade7[/cite]I've got the angles, thanks. Just need some first-hand accounts of Turin, Naples, Cagliari, etc

yes, I could tell you'd already decided the angle as you've set it out in your first post. ie Football was a minority sport, fans were marginalised but everything changed at Italia 90 and then we all loved football.
  • Options
    Not contributing then Henry?
  • Options
    Interesting subject bearing in mind that one of the best football books ever (All Played Out) covers Italia 90 albeit from a different angle,
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Not contributing then Henry?

Nah, my tales of living it up with Italian gangsters and FIFA execs aren't quite what he's after me thinks.
  • Options
    We could always write it for him, then be grateful for a mention as he rakes in the royalty cheques.

That's how these things are supposed to work, isn't it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]We could always write it for him, then be grateful for a mention as he rakes in the royalty cheques.

That's how these things are supposed to work, isn't it?

Sure is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ade7[/cite]Hi there,

Many thanks,

Ade

Some of the posters on here were there, you can probably get some names on here, with some info already posted.

Previous thread
  • Options
    And more memories on here, actually. Probably a better thread for info.

Memories of 1990
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or he could've used the "Search" facility Curb_It.

Honestly, journalists today. Just what are they doing being sober in the afternoons?
  • Options
    Watched the Kevin Allen documentary again last week and there is an interview with a couple of Scousers in Rimini, who were spot on as to the way it was out in Italy 90. Also reminded me what an absolute gobshite Colin Moynihan was at the time.

Not proper Charlton.
  • Options
    Thanks for that link Curb It
  • Options
    I remember that I had tickets for the Rolling Stones that night and my son had just been born. His mother went to the gig, I stayed at home to "looked after him." I was so desperate for him to be quiet and sleep, but of course he didn't. I walked around and around the living room rocking him, but no surprise he didn't sleep, he must have picked up on my stress. The minute the game ended, we both collapsed to the sofa and slept till she came back from the concert.

Those penalties still hurt...
  • Options
    Watched the games in The Valley club wish it was still here now