Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackpool 2 Liverpool 1

....I see its all going great for the Bin Dippers since they sacked Woy and installed Liverpool legend King Kenny!!!

What laughable nonsense, installing a bloke who was last in charge 20 years ago, sentimental bullshit of the highest order and the owners will end up regretting they unleashed this beast as it will bite them on the arse in the end.

Ultimately, the players are responsible for performances, not the manager.

Comments

• And Blackpool effectively 4 wins away from safety. Could be an incredible first season.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]And Blackpool effectively 4 wins away from safety. Could be an incredible first season.

Holloway Manager of the Year already in my book, he has done this on a worn shoestring. Luke Varney and DJ Campbell FFS!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]What laughable nonsense, installing a bloke who was last in charge 20 years ago,

Isn't that we did last Sunday, Ormy?

o)
  • I see Jonjo got on for the last 15 minutes!

Jason Euell on the bench for Blackpoool too.
  • They should have brought in Big Sam if they had any sense. Would get them up the table and performing, don't see this going well for Daglish.
  • [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]They should have brought in Big Sam if they had any sense. Would get them up the table and performing, don't see this going well for Daglish.

Just like Palace ........ bringing an untried ex-player from their coaching staff to be manager. Erm ........

;o)
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]They should have brought in Big Sam if they had any sense. Would get them up the table and performing, don't see this going well for Daglish.

Just like Palace ........ bringing an untried ex-player from their coaching staff to be manager. Erm ........

;o)
    Sam Alardyce I meant, not Sammie Lee, unless I'm missing something here.
  • I was just playing on the parallels with Palace bringing in Doogie Freedman as manager .... and Dalglish taking over at Liverpool.

;o)
  • If you want to know how Holloway has been successful with Blackpool, have a look at this.

So many questions and comments about his team being perceived as rubbish and he just sidesteps them, showing his confidence in the players.

Q. Should DJ Campbell have scored in the first half?
    A. "I don't think my strikers should ever score, they try their best to score and I just keep encouraging them to do so"

Q. How much closer are you now to survival?
    A. It's only 3 points closer, innit.

Absolute legend and a great manager to boot
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I was just playing on the parallels with Palace bringing in Doogie Freedman as manager .... and Dalglish taking over at Liverpool.

;o)
    Lol, how did I miss that
  • Sponsored links:

• Just as I thought Blackpool were going to be sucked into a relegation battle they go and win again - amazing and i really hope it continues for them. Would be great to see West Ham, Liverpool and Birmingham relegated.
  • Blackpool are now quite possibly just 10 points from safety ........incredible, when you think they were completely written off before the season began.

And all done sensibly, spending only peanuts and cutting their cloth to their means.
    Terrific job if they stay up.

Ollie ......surely should be nominated as manager of the year!
  • if they win their two games in hand cant they go 5th or close to??!!
  • I think Holloway is great and its good to see a down to earth bloke get some success.

What he has done a Blackpool is to get them playing without fear. Fear is what stiffles play and turns good players into poor performers.

Nobody gave them a prayer when they came up so he has got then playing in an uninhibited way.

It is the financial reality of the Premier League that teams like Blackpool provided they plan financially for relegation will be financially much stronger if they go down than many teams who manage to stay in the division.

The problem for Blackpool if they stay up is when their cost base has grown to the extent that they can't afford to go down.

That was, in the end, what happened at The Valley. A cavalier first season which in the end finished in gallant failure. A great promotion season followed with arguably a stronger team than before.

A successful couple of seasons back where the club exceeded most of expectations. Then came the belief that we were an established Premier League team. The fear set in. Curbs became more and more negative in his tactics and team selection. Finally after Curbs went, a throw of the dice and money we could ill afford gambled on players many of whom just weren't good enough.

I wish them every success and hope for their sake they can sustain it.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]What he has done a Blackpool is to get them playing without fear.
    Fear is what stiffles play and turns good players into poor performers.

If only fans understood this fact.

Well said, Bing.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I think Holloway is great and its good to see a down to earth bloke get some success.

What he has done a Blackpool is to get them playing without fear. Fear is what stiffles play and turns good players into poor performers.

Nobody gave them a prayer when they came up so he has got then playing in an uninhibited way.

It is the financial reality of the Premier League that teams like Blackpool provided they plan financially for relegation will be financially much stronger if they go down than many teams who manage to stay in the division.

The problem for Blackpool if they stay up is when their cost base has grown to the extent that they can't afford to go down.

That was, in the end, what happened at The Valley. A cavalier first season which in the end finished in gallant failure. A great promotion season followed with arguably a stronger team than before.

A successful couple of seasons back where the club exceeded most of expectations. Then came the belief that we were an established Premier League team. The fear set in. Curbs became more and more negative in his tactics and team selection. Finally after Curbs went, a throw of the dice and money we could ill afford gambled on players many of whom just weren't good enough.

I wish them every success and hope for their sake they can sustain it.

The vultures are already circling round the excellent Charlie Adam and reports say they have already received bids for him.

This is where you hit problems, if Blackpool increase Adam's wages to get him to stay then its only a matter of time before other players start demanding the same and it all starts to unravel.

Blackpool's capacity is around 15,000 (I think) so their income is tiny in Premiership terms, they just can't afford to compete on wages.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]This is where you hit problems, if Blackpool increase Adam's wages to get him to stay then its only a matter of time before other players start demanding the same and it all starts to unravel.

Yes that is right. It takes something to manage expectations as well as costs.

Of the teams in and around the Premier League, I think we can look to West Brom, very much a yo-yo club but have been able to keep the core of their team and enhance it when relegated.

Bolton are a club that amaze me. Under Big Sam they punched above their weight. After Sam went, I really thought they would go down and of course they struggled to stay up. Now they are going well again.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Just as I thought Blackpool were going to be sucked into a relegation battle they go and win again - amazing and i really hope it continues for them. Would be great to see West Ham, Liverpool and Birmingham relegated.

Yes it would. We could be playing them next season!
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]This is where you hit problems, if Blackpool increase Adam's wages to get him to stay then its only a matter of time before other players start demanding the same and it all starts to unravel.

Of the teams in and around the Premier League, I think we can look to West Brom, very much a yo-yo club but have been able to keep the core of their team and enhance it when relegated.

Bolton are a club that amaze me. Under Big Sam they punched above their weight. After Sam went, I really thought they would go down and of course they struggled to stay up. Now they are going well again.

Bolton have absolutely eye-watering debts, they are in the Pompey range apparently.

If they go down they are toast.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]This is where you hit problems, if Blackpool increase Adam's wages to get him to stay then its only a matter of time before other players start demanding the same and it all starts to unravel.

Bolton have absolutely eye-watering debts, they are in the Pompey range apparently.

• Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Bolton have absolutely eye-watering debts, they are in the Pompey range apparently.

Yep, something like £95m in debt and it was clear as day from about three seasons ago that they were in real risk of going pop (like Pompey) if they went down (like bing I thought they would eventually). That said, under Coyle they've managed to turn it all around, impressively so. Amazing, even.

For Blackpool, the first season is the easiest. No expectations, every point is a bonus and the knowledge that there's in or around £90m to come to the club over the next five seasons. Holloway has had a truly special season so far and has been able to fully utilise his talents (unearthing and polishing hidden gems), and they probably are still being slightly underestimated.

Both the club and the manager need to take a big step up if they do stay in the Premier League beyond 2012, because, as bing says, that's when they'll have to start buying "Premier League players" on "Premier League wages". Do they start to further renovate their ground? Costs balloon and it becomes a matter of having to stay in the Premier League to remain profitable. West Brom are the shining example of a financially prudent club, but then they've never had to be an "established PL club" with all the associated costs.

For Blackpool, the medium-term business model that stands out for me at 1.45am is that they could be a feeder club for talented, down-on-their-luck players (cf Luke Varney). Take them from the Championship and L1 on strict wages, show what they can do in an exciting PL team, and then sell them on to interested parties. I don't know if even Holloway has the stamina to have to deal with fifteen or more player changes every season, but maybe, just maybe.

As for Liverpool, I'll wait for our own manager situation to be sorted before I'll pass comment.
  • Blackpool had done amazingly and good luck to them.

However just like Hull two seasons ago it will be the second season when they struggle once the novelty of the Prem had worn off and I'll be having a monster bet on them to go down as I did with Hull last season.
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Bolton have absolutely eye-watering debts, they are in the Pompey range apparently.

Both the club and the manager need to take a big step up if they do stay in the Premier League beyond 2012, because, as bing says, that's when they'll have to start buying "Premier League players" on "Premier League wages". Do they start to further renovate their ground? Costs balloon and it becomes a matter of having to stay in the Premier League to remain profitable. West Brom are the shining example of a financially prudent club, but then they've never had to be an "established PL club" with all the associated costs.

Can't you just stay up and continue to pay Championship wages? That way you make sure that the costs don't balloon. After all, if you get relegated it doesn't have serious financial consequences that way, and you're in a good position to 'do a West Brom.'
    This is I think what West Brom perhaps thought several years ago. After all, it works for the club financially and it's better for the players than playing in The Championship.
  • Woy is Liverpool's best manager this season.
  • Can't you just stay up and continue to pay Championship wages?

Compared to most Prem teams Blackpool's players are on Championship wages, but if they are kept on the same contracts as last season where's the incentive for them to improve? The first season is the toughest and Blackpool will eventually run out of steam - players will get sussed, or injured/suspended and then replacements will come in. If those that are new to the squad are earning more than those who got them to the Premier league and kept them there, then it's a recipe for an unhappy chaning room. For many of those Blackpool players this might be their only season as players in the Premier League and they deserve the extra money.
  • IAIA
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Bolton have absolutely eye-watering debts, they are in the Pompey range apparently.

Can't you just stay up and continue to pay Championship wages? That way you make sure that the costs don't balloon. After all, if you get relegated it doesn't have serious financial consequences that way, and you're in a good position to 'do a West Brom.'
    This is I think what West Brom perhaps thought several years ago. After all, it works for the club financially and it's better for the players than playing in The Championship.

Nice in theory

In practice, your existing players will want to move to any other Premier League club and several Championship clubs because they can get far better wages, so if you let them go you have to start to hire new players.

If you're always getting your new players from the Championship and League 1 and paying Championship wages, then that spells "lack of ambition" to many fans, the team is 'constantly getting weaker' and constantly changing. It's possible to curb this desire for "ambition" for only as long as the manager is good at polishing rough diamonds. Lose Holloway and you lose that plan.

The longer a club is in the Premier League, the sooner it becomes "a Premier League club" and becomes somewhat obliged to act like one, with grounds, commercial centres and marketing and all the things that come with that. And the more it becomes like that, the more it has to hold on to Premier League status, and in comes the fear that they might get relegated.

By the way, it's the same between the other divisions. Preston North End sacked Ferguson and Palace sacked Burley because they were afraid of the consequences of dropping down to League 1 after being established Championship sides.

I was talking to a mate about this today, and talked to him at the start of the season. Back then, like now, I said the most important thing for Blackpool in the long run is what division they start in in August 2012. I thought they could be like us: go up, back down and come back up stronger. Now, though, I'm thinking about what happens if they get relegated in their second season. I can't think of an example of a club relegated in their second season who came back stronger (the names that came into my head were Hull, Bradford, Reading, West Brom, Ipswich). Can anyone think of an example of a club who have done better after getting relegated in the second season? Maybe Middlesbrough, but I can't remember if it was their first or second season in the 90s when they got relegated
  • It seems to me that, contrary to people's protests on this ite and others, that the fans are often the 'problem' difficulty.
    I say this because the only real reason for not just doing as I suggest is that it shows a lack of ambition to the fans. I would nevertheless be happy to see Charlton take this approach if we ever got to The Premiership again (although admittedly not happy with this approach upon promotion to The Championship).

Perhaps fans of clubs like Blackpool, Burnley and Charlton would not be adverse to such an approach so long as it was pretty clear that this was the approach. I think that if you get in The Premiership you should continue to play Championship wages. Players who find a higher paying club can leave and new players have to accept the wage strucure. If you go down (as a result of this strategy?) then you're not in financial trouble and you can dust yourself down and start again.
  • C'mon th' POOOOLLLLLL!!!!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]It seems to me that, contrary to people's protests on this ite and others, that the fans are often the[strike]'problem'[/strike]difficulty.
    I say this because the only real reason for not just doing as I suggest is that it shows a lack of ambition to the fans. I would nevertheless be happy to see Charlton take this approach if we ever got to The Premiership again (although admittedly not happy with this approach upon promotion to The Championship).

Perhaps fans of clubs like Blackpool, Burnley and Charlton would not be adverse to such an approach so long as it was pretty clear that this[u]was[/u]the approach. I think that if you get in The Premiership you should continue to play Championship wages. Players who find a higher paying club can leave and new players have to accept the wage strucure. If you go down (as a result of this strategy?) then you're not in financial trouble and you can dust yourself down and start again.[/quote]

And then what rewards will you give the players for getting to the Premiership? Announcing that there will be a wage freeze, or a modest increase is not much of a motivation factor. And then why do you do if your star players start attracting transfer enquiries from clubs who'll double/treble or more their wages overnight? How do you attract players to sign for you if they know that they'll be on CC wages? The clubs make good money from the Premier League and the TV rights, it's fair that the players should get their cut.
  • Who was the player who turned down Blackpool in the summer window to play for a Champ club?