Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Akpo Sodje set for Charlton exit

Comments

• Oh well, I had high hopes, but it's not really worked out between injuries and some outrageous clumsiness. Shame, I enjoy his all action style, but I think he's sustained a few too many injuries and something's gone.
  • How high were your hopes?
  • Prefer him to Abbott and he's clearly an honest lad so I wish him all the very best if/wherever he goes, but we have to be honest and say he won't really be missed.

When he's looked fully fit he's looked a handful, but he's nearly always carrying a knock and he doesn't carry them well. You can tell within a few minutes if he's going to play well or not - sometimes he comes on, knocks a centre half over and wins his first header and goes on to really throw his weight around. Other times he comes on gets muscled out in his first challenge and then looks like he can't trap a bag of spuds.

I think Morts is right, he's suffered one too many injuiries and his body just can't take it anymore.

In an ideal world we'd ship Abbott out too and bring in an alternative 'big lump' but once Benno is back we'll have Abbott, Joe and Benno who can play with their backs to goal (if the service is right) so we should have enough to see us through to May.
  • i really liked apko, but his first touch was one of the worst i have seen on the current squad. He scored some big goals for us and i would prefer to keep him as a super sub. remember the game we played with 9 and he ran his arse off?...

if there are better opps for apko and he wasnts to go... then release him. But if i were SCP, i would keep him as a super sub. what if bwp get injured, suspension to benson... etc...
  • CP says three clubs from L1 and L2 in for him.
  • End of an era ... or at least end of the great Sodje family connection ... any more still playing who haven't been with us yet?

Good luck Akpo.
  • Akpo or Abbott? Aren't we just arguing about who gets the spot as second striker on the bench?
  • Would rather have him than Abbot.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nozza2310[/cite]Would rather have him than Abbot.

I think that only one of them would stay with Eccleston and BWP arriving and it'll be easier to shift on Akpo than Abbot.
  • Coming to Dagenham until the end of the season i've heard.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd actually keep Abbott over sodje. We can motivate Abbott but we can't teach sodje how to play football.
  • strange really over the weekend it was said to me that powelly was really impressed with akpo he was on fire infact in training.

(now i made the quip that Akpoo would only smoulder not actually catch fire)

but if he is impressing in training then why release him but in powelly i trust
  • Committing heresy here perhaps, but I have been watching Abbott and have noticed that he is an intelligent player in the way he moves across the front line - dragging defenders with him and creating opportunities such as the one that Eccleston took.

I think that SCP has noticed this as he is looking at how players move off ball - I was all for getting rid of Abbott until a mate told me to watch him when the ball is moving up front - this I did and I would recommend that you all do the same - see how he moves and digs into the defender making him come with him on a psychological level...

When he gets the ball, yeah he is a donkey(!)
  • At least we can start another song.....

We've got no sodje's left....
    We've got no sodje's left....
  • [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]I'd actually keep Abbott over sodje. We can motivate Abbott but we can't teach sodje how to play football.

agreed

i find i cringed more when the ball was with akpo
  • My favourite Akpo moment was that goal in the raging monsoon at Yeovil. Thanks for that mate.

In defence of Abbott, Akpo and all, they might all had a lot better goalscoring impact if they had enjoyed halfway decent service during their time with us.
    (And in the case of Benno being asked to play a completely different role to one he was successful at)

We're all excited about SWP and Eccles but there's always the danger we can turn them into strikers that can't score, we're good at that!
    Don't think it will happen, because they are a step up in quality; but service and deadball delivery needs vast improvement.
  • Jills standard. Laters Akpo.
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]My favourite Akpo moment was that goal in the raging monsoon at Yeovil. Thanks for that mate.

I remember that ...... we were a goal down, Akpo was a half time sub - and within 2 minutes he'd equalised with a terrific strike from outside the box.

Ten minutes later he almost did it again, another piledriver that somehow brought a wondersave from their keeper - and on to the post.

We thought we'd unearthed a real gem of a striker ...........
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]

We thought we'd unearthed a real gem of a striker ...........

dont we always think that
  • He was absolutely fantastic against Swindon when we were down to 9 men. Chased his own flick ons and single handedly kept the whole of their back four occupied for the second half.

But hey, let's slag off another of our own again.

Good luck to the fella. I've watched plenty of strikers seemingly not give a shit over the years whilst pocketing our hard earned (Marcus Bent anyone?) but Akpo has never given any less than 100%. For that reason alone he's alright by me.
  • Sponsored links:

• well said Off_it
  • Agreed. Never really got a fair chance.
    Whatever his limitations, he's always tried to play to his strengths. And bust a gut doing so.

For that reason he's alright by me, too.
  • look I'll admit he's always given 100% and admire him for that and wish him all the best elsewhere BUT he's still crap.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]look I'll admit he's always given 100% and admire him for that and wish him all the best elsewhere BUT he's still crap.

That post says more about you than him. Still, I'm sure he wont be losing any sleep over what you think. Neither will I.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]look I'll admit he's always given 100% and admire him for that and wish him all the best elsewhere BUT he's still crap.

That post says more about you than him. Still, I'm sure he wont be losing any sleep over what you think. Neither will I.

likewise
  • Fairwell sweet clumsy prince. Whenever I see someone blundering through something and injuring themself in the process, I shall think of you.
  • I liked Sodje, his willingness to run, and his amazing ability to take about 6 strides for every man's 20 will stick in my mind. People seem to forget he has scored a couple of game winning goals since being here, and though he's not the most natural footballer I'd rather have one Akpo Sodje than 3 Marcus Bents.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]He was absolutely fantastic against Swindon when we were down to 9 men. Chased his own flick ons and single handedly kept the whole of their back four occupied for the second half.

But hey, let's slag off another of our own again.

Good luck to the fella. I've watched plenty of strikers seemingly not give a shit over the years whilst pocketing our hard earned (Marcus Bent anyone?) but Akpo has never given any less than 100%. For that reason alone he's alright by me.

Totally agree, I have never had a problem with Akpo, a very honest player who works his balls off for the team, not the worst goals per game ratio either. Maybe he lacks a little finesse but when it comes to problem making Akpo is quality, he is 30 times the player Useless Bent was. I will be very sorry to see him go and wish him all the best wherever he turns up.
  • Must admit I would rather russ Abbott leaves but the chances of him having any takers must be slim
  • As long as a player gives 100% as often as possible, (as others have said) it's fine by me.
    Maybe not the most talented, but he did give 100% more often than not, scored some great important goals for us and nearly scored 2 at spurs.
    Good luck Akpo, personally I'll miss ya, but much better for you to be playing more I guess.

We've got no sodje's.....