Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 3rd Feb 1968 Charlton 3 QPR 3

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]The game I really remember is the FA Cup game at the Valley against QPR around about the same time. It was a big crowd & a cracking atmosphere. Charlton went 2-0 up but lost 3-2 as Rodney Marsh inspired a dramatic comeback for QPR. I think he scored a couple of their goals too. I have never forgotten that amazing atmosphere; it was so special for a young lad on one of his first ever trips to the Valley.

Pete.....Robson?
    No mate, sorry. My real name's not even Pete. LOL.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It was only a cracking game in that last 20 mins, with an outfield player in goal and down to 10 men, when the crowd got behind the team - and inspired that 'grandstand finish'.

Before that, our weakened team - with a rookie keeper and an 'all at sea' CM making their debuts, we were given a right run around by a promotion winning team more or less totally in control.

We scored twice in the last 3 minutes to snatch that unlikely point - but in that last 20 minutes, it was the crowd roaring on the 10 men that made the difference.
    Blimey, you mean we were 3-1 down at home, playing poorly and the crowd weren't booing and giving the players dogs' abuse?! How times have changed.

From what I remember, the crowd spent most of the time baiting Rodney Marsh, otherwise it was a bit quiet most of the game - apart from, "Come on, Charlton, Come on Charlton" from the Covered End and a few isolated shouts, there was no booing of our team even though we were hopelessly outplayed for the first hour or so.

It really took us going down to 10 men and no proper keeper to rouse the crowd and we pulled a goal back, before QPR scored their 3rd.

That last 20 mins, the atmosphere was terrific driving on the team - and how the players responded, 10 men giving it everything. Then that last 3 mins, crikey, I can relive it all now and feel again the sheer release of emotion when Peacock broke free and ran through to fire home the equaliser. We just went crazy, dancing and jumping around on the terraces.

It was only a point - but it felt like a huge victory. We'd been on a poor run, but that last minute point ignited the start of a great run beginning with the next game, a 4-1 away win at Plymouth.

And Keith Peacock was on fire!
  • Options
    Keefy, Keefy Peacock, Keefy Peacock on the wing......
  • Options
    Cyril, Cyril Davies on the wing,
    on the wing,
    Cy-ril, cy-ril Davies,
    cyril Dav-ies on the wing !

and

"Over there, over there,
    and do they smell................."
  • Options
    Like F***ing hell....

Knees up mother brown, knees up mother brown....under the table you should go....

As she wheeled her wheel barrow, through streets broad and narrow.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Cyril, Cyril Davies on the wing,
    on the wing,
    Cy-ril, cy-ril Davies,
    cyril Dav-ies on the wing !

and

"Over there, over there,
    and do they smell................."

That was to the tune of the old Jim Reeves song, 'Distant Drums' - "I hear the sound, (clap, clap, clap, etc) of distant ......."

Cyril Davies & Dickie, Dickie, Dickie Plumb, Dickie Plumb, Dickie Plumb both signed at the same time from non-league Yeovil more than 2 years years later.
  • Options
    My first game as well. Ron Willis was physically sick after being kicked in the stomach and they had to sawdust the vomit. He never played in our first team again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]Weren't the Firmanis South African?
    Eddie went on to play for Italy after he left Charlton for Sampdoria.
  • Options
    As I said earlier my first ever game aged 8 and we left just after Willis was injured. I stood on the railings at the bottom of the East Terrace. Like Oggy I remember the "Rodney is a fairy" stuff. He was some player though, showman as well. I'd have loved him in our team.
  • Options
    So did Malcolm Allison at Man City - who eventually signed him a couple of years later.

Transfer deadline back then was always late March, by which time City were top of the real Division One, Allison signed Marsh and their title charge just collapsed.

No 1 Rule of the Universe: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't Allison sign a few other potential world beaters like Steve Mackensie (who later turned up a SE7) but they just didn't gel into a team?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Didn't Allison sign a few other potential world beaters like Steve Mackensie (who later turned up a SE7) but they just didn't gel into a team?

Was Pardew the new Malcolm Allison, then.....?

No Fedora, no cigar, no trophies .......I guess the answer is a 'no', then ?

;o)
  • Options
    A goal for our Bob, wishing him all the best.
  • Options
    "Rodney is a fairy"
  • Options
    Frustratingly, can't quote a post from the previous page.

But please take the time to read how the the crowd at The Valley used to urge the team on.
    Everybody then remembers a fantastic atmosphere, a fantastic game.

Our supporters could make the difference.[/b]

Posted By: Oggy Red: CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    It was only a cracking game in that last 20 mins, with an outfield player in goal and down to 10 men, when the crowd got behind the team - and inspired that 'grandstand finish'.

We scored twice in the last 3 minutes to snatch that unlikely point - but in that last 20 minutes, it was the crowd roaring on the 10 men that made the difference.

Posted By: Red_Pete:
    Blimey, you mean we were 3-1 down at home, playing poorly and the crowd weren't booing and giving the players dogs' abuse?! How times have changed.

Posted By: Oggy Red:
    From what I remember, the crowd spent most of the time baiting Rodney Marsh, otherwise it was a bit quiet most of the game - apart from, "Come on, Charlton, Come on Charlton" from the Covered End and a few isolated shouts, there was no booing of our team even though we were hopelessly outplayed for the first hour or so.

It really took us going down to 10 men and no proper keeper to rouse the crowd and we pulled a goal back, before QPR scored their 3rd.

That last 20 mins, the atmosphere was terrific driving on the team - and how the players responded, 10 men giving it everything.

It was only a point - but it felt like a huge victory. We'd been on a poor run, but that last minute point ignited the start of a great run beginning with the next game, a 4-1 away win at Plymouth.

That's the difference getting behind the team can make!
  • Options
    When football was really football and when a foreign footballer was one from Scotland,Wales or Ireland.Please do not get me started on fans following Charlton.Happy days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]When football was really football and when a foreign footballer was one from Scotland,Wales or Ireland.Please do not get me started on fans following Charlton.Happy days.

And when footballers had balls, eh?
  • Options
    another for the oldies.
  • Options
    Talking of come backs...
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8591597549

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first season watching the lads (67/68), great game and a good crowd too.
  • Options
    The Rodney is a fairy chant---accompanied by a gesture like unscrewing and screwing in a light bulb repeated until we were fed-up of it.