Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alex Dyer

Absolute quality during the disallowed goal shanangins.

He was going mad, and squaring up to some big lump from Colchester.

HE got that goal scrubbed of for us, very impressed, was like watching Ice Hockey.

Nice to have some fight on the bench, the ref would have kicked off and it would have been forgot about under Parky I think.

Comments

• Obviously great to have CP and Dyer going mad at the goal being allowed but dont agree that it would have been forgotten about under Parky, the way some fans talk about him it's like he didn't give a toss!
  • whos parky?
  • edited February 2011
    funny, dyer never got that excited while playing for us though!
  • edited February 2011
    Parky would have told Elliot to score an owngoal to make up for the ref's mistake.

(obviously a joke at the parky bashers)
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Nice to have some fight on the bench, the ref would have kicked off and it would have been forgot about under Parky I think.

Don't you believe it ......... it might have taken a lot to fire up Parky, but when he was flaming he was right there!

How many times did he get red-carded and sent to the stands, charges of "bringing the game into disrepute", touchline bans and fines, etc?

Short memories, haha
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Nice to have some fight on the bench, the ref would have kicked off and it would have been forgot about under Parky I think.

Don't you believe it ......... it might have taken a lot to fire up Parky, but when he was flaming he was right there!

How many times did he get red-carded and sent to the stands, charges of "bringing the game into disrepute", touchline bans and fines, etc?

Short memories, haha

Will never forget him squaring up to Mark Wotte against Saints at St Mary's, first time i heard a Parky chant. Now for the dyer chants though!!
  • Spot on Oggy, very short and very selective memories.
  • Parky would have been sent off in the same circumstances. Powell gets the goalschalked off, easy this management lark!
  • Very short memorys some but no a shock from Charlton fans
  • You can check back through any of my posts and never said much of a bad word about Parky but I just feel he (and his team)would have just had the 'its just our luck' attitude (some call it Charlton attitude).

That fight from the WHOLE bench hasnt been there for maybe years??
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure about his fighting abilities, but I do know that Alex Dyer was one of the slowest players I ever saw in a CAFC shirt.

Think I have an old end of season video of him being clean through on goal at Upton Park, going round the keeper, and then being beaten outpaced to the ball by Steve 'Headband' Foster, who at the time was about 44.

Other than that, and a deflected goal away at Leicester, I can barely remember him playing for us!
  • And then there was ........ Kenny Achampong.

Who do you think was better? I'll stick with Dyer the player.

o)
  • Think people are just bashing Parky for any reason. The ref made a huge cock up of the goal and I doubt I'll see anything like it again!
  • The ref was basically dishonest in pretending he hadn't blown his whistle, when so many had distinctly heard him do so.

IMO that is a serious matter, which he must be asked to explain officially.
  • Oggy you are 100% right

There is no way the referee is a football league ref if he doesn't know that on blowing the whistle the game stops end of.

Therefore, regardless of the lino dumping him in it he was completely wrong to try and give the goal as in doing so he was essentially failing to acknowledge the fact that he had blown his whistle on purpose, in order to paper over the cracks.
  • edited February 2011
    I have always believed that refs make honest mistakes. I may be loud in voicing my annoyance but I have always seen it as a genuine mistake.

But this year the ref in Scotland lied over a pen and tonight the ref was quite willing to lie or ignore the fact thayt he had stopped the game prior to the goal.

That's cheating and totally dishonest

It should not be swept under the carpet
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    That's cheating and totally dishonest

And that was my point, NLA.

The game cannot tolerate dishonest referees. His conduct tonight must be officially investigated.
  • I think he just got it wrong. The biggest error was in blowing up in the first place, huge cock up.

To change his mind twice and give the drop ball is a mark of his honesty surely? Can you imagine Graham Poll doing that? Fair play to the guy in my book. prepared to look stupid three times in order to get it right.
  • [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Parky would have told Elliot to score an owngoal to make up for the ref's mistake.

(obviously a joke at the parky bashers)

Wasn't there, so this is a genuine question. Given that the Charlton players played-on believing the player was onside, wouldn't conceding a goal have been the decent thing to do? Like that non-league team did last week.

[cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]I think he just got it wrong. The biggest error was in blowing up in the first place, huge cock up.

To change his mind twice and give the drop ball is a mark of his honesty surely? Can you imagine Graham Poll doing that? Fair play to the guy in my book. prepared to look stupid three times in order to get it right.

Poll did change his mind a few years back - Fulham v Arsenal I believe.

Regarding Dyer, I used to like him as a player. He had good feet and vision. I remember that game at Leicester. I think we lost 3-1 and Carl Mugglestone played a blinder in goal for them. I was a skint student at the time and Alex gave me some comps as he got off the bus. Nice man.
  • I always remember being behind the goal pre match and chatting with Alex just before he started his warm ups. He always had time for the fans, nice chap. I also remember him being a pretty decent player for us too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2011
    i do have fond memeries of alex dyer putting the ball into the empty net at upton park v grimsby 3-1 then we had no sponser on shirt just before we went back to the valley, he run right bye me, i was just behind the goal. always stopped to talk and give autograph after game to! great man. and also his nick-name was spoon (after the boxer witherspoon) i think it was because he looked like him a bit.