Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Squad Game - Powell's Greatest Challenge?

WSSWSS
edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Last night our bench consisted of outfield players: Matt Fry, Kyel Reid, Paul Benson, Nathan Ecclenston, Therry Racon and Jonathan Fortune.

Not so long ago I think the majority of us would agree that the six players above would walk into our starting eleven but now we have the luxury of having them (or others) on the bench.

All of the players above can make reasonable claims for a starting berth and if we are to believe some Twitter mumourings and other body language signs then some are disappointed at being overlooked.

As the season goes on and the games come thick and fas,t I feel we are going to need the whole squad and the quality of our bench should invariably stand us in good stead for a promotion push. But can Powelly keep them happy and motivated? It's a nice problem to have but is he experienced enough to deal with door banging and egos?

Interesting times.

Comments

• Indeed and you can add Solly to that list.
  • I was thinking along similar lines - to have those people on the bench tells you a lot about the quality of our squad. We must have one of the best in the league now, so no excuses?
  • And Abbott and Llera ;-)
  • Racon had a bit of a knock though didnt he? I would expect him to come back into the team when he is fully fit (we really lacked creativity and a player that could spread the play last night)
  • good post WSS, we were talking about this last night, we now have an excellent squad (albeit maybe a centre half light IMO), however with the amount of games coming up over the next 6-8 weeks (we are 2 or 3 games behind alot of teams above us) I feel sure they will all play a significant part.

Felt a bit for Ecclestone last night and thought he probably should've got the nod over Benson, but that's life....he'll get his chance I'm sure of that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Felt a bit for Ecclestone last night and thought he probably should've got the nod over Benson, but that's life....he'll get his chance I'm sure of that.

I think CP probably wanted to give Benson a bit more game time after his enforced lay-off. Having said that, I'd like to see Eccleston given more time on the pitch - he has a blistering turn of speed which catches out defences.
  • The way Eccleston's played in the last two games (subs appearances I know), I think he has a case for starting. He looks as though he's got more about him than just being an impact sub.
  • I think Benson came on for his height, Peacock came down shortly before and it seemed like he felt Benson was the better choice.
  • [cite]Posted By: StubleyAddick[/cite]Peacock came down shortly before and it seemed like he felt Benson was the better choice.

When Peacock was part of Curbs' management team in the Prem, he invariably sat in the West stand in contact with the bench.

You get a 1st class view up there regarding how the game is developing tactically, and how players perform as a unit and off the ball. .........different perspective from the dugout.

Glad to see he's once again taken up his old seat
  • I actually felt sorry for Benson last night.

A poor refereeing decision, the FA's ambivalence and another postponement has robbed him of an entire month's football through no fault of his own. He's since seen two people come in who are arguably ahead of him in the pecking order... one on merit and one on a combination of merit and probably the terms of his loan agreement.

He came on and tried his absolute hardest to make something happen but more or less everything he went anywhere near went wrong for him. Hope he doesn't lose heart either as there will be about 20 players that get us promoted, not three or four.