Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Internet Usage Caps

edited February 2011 in Not Sports Related
One hell of a stink being raised over here in Canada over the government run (but media owned) broadcasting regulators decision to allow ISP's to impose Usage Based Billing on their customers.

The main reason seems to be that the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ITunes are attracting people away from the TV services that our internet providers also run.

There is little choice in Canada - just 4 main media players - Bell, Shaw, Rogers & Telus - they are our internet providers & TV broadcasters - they monopolise the market.

So to prevent people watching Netflix or other sources of media on the web that do not contribute towards their bottom line they are slashing the amount of data you are allowed to use on a monthly basis - although you are free to spend a lot of money buying extra data if you wish.

Do UK ISP's have bandwidth caps - or are you free to use as much as you like? Are you ever billed for using too much internet?

I pay about £30 a month for a 10Mbs cable internet service with a cap of 100gb - everything over that is now charged at £1 per Gb extra.

Comments

• Options
    How do you know how many gigs you're using? I wouldn't have a clue. And how do you dispute it if you think their figures aren't correct. Sounds like a licence to print money to me.
  • Options
    We're on BT and have a cap. You can check your usage every day. If you go over on the month you pay for each extra GB. We end up having one day on one day off so we come in under the cap (I have to do Charlton Life at work on the off days!).
  • Options
    internet-cap.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]How do you know how many gigs you're using? I wouldn't have a clue. And how do you dispute it if you think their figures aren't correct. Sounds like a licence to print money to me.

The usage is on your account page for your ISP - you better be sure your wireless connection is secure!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]How do you know how many gigs you're using? I wouldn't have a clue. And how do you dispute it if you think their figures aren't correct. Sounds like a licence to print money to me.

The usage is on your account page for your ISP - you better be sure your wireless connection is secure!

I cover the telecoms market for a living and regularly talk with the top management all of the major telcos and, unfortunately for users, the good times are coming to an end with the all-you-can-eat unlimited deals on the way out both on fixed and mobile networks.

Operators will give you unlimited access to THEIR content, such as their IPTV or VOD stuff, but will cap your usage of rival Over-The-Top content such as Google TV, Apple TV or any outside video sites.

This is basically because the operators have spent fortunes on network upgrades, such as installing fiber-backbones and FTTH/B networks, only to see the major US content players come in and steal the cake by selling content straight to the telcos broadband subs.

Given that Google et al are not willing to pay carriage fees to the network operators then the network operators have decided that a clever way around the Net Neutrality regulations is to offer what they call "tiered" servicing where you get their content uncapped but all outside content is capped.

This obviously makes their content much more attractive to subscribers because it does not detract from their overall data allowance.
  • Options
    Mine is 30gb for 26 euros a month, mine is only midband but get speeds of 3-4 meg which is fairly decent. If I go over, I get charged 10 cent per MB. It's fine for one person, but for 2 people you have to average 500mb per person per day which is ridiculous. You'd use of a load of data just everyday browsing, nevermind downloading or streaming.
  • Options
    You could also download a usage monitor just to give you a rough idea on how much you use. There are loads of free ones about - just make sure you get one off a decent site. To be fair most people wouldnt get near their usage allowance if its just the normal facebook, email, twitter etc.

Comapared to Canada though we do have alot of choice and you can find truely unlimited plans (you gotta pay a hell of alot in most cases). Ive never heard of anyone getting billed over their usage for home broadband. In most cases they just restrict the speed till the end of the month.

Im currently awaiting BT Infinty (FTTC Fibre) to be installed - once that happens i can see a hell of a lot of letters from BT arriving through the post.
  • Options
    edited February 2011