Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Megson appointed Sheff W boss

Sheffield Wednesday have appointed former West Brom, Bolton and Stoke City boss Gary Megson as their new manager.
The 51-year-old has agreed a three-and-a-half-year contract and again links up with Wednesday chairman Milan Mandaric, whom he worked under at Leicester City.
Megson replaces Alan Irvine, who left Hillsborough on Thursday with the Owls lying 12th in League One.

"I am delighted with this appointment because Gary is a top drawer manager," Mandaric told the club website.
"He has tremendous experience in the Championship and the Premiership and that is where Sheffield Wednesday needs to be.
It's a tough job, but we want to get it moving quickly.
"My target when I bought this club was promotion this season and that remains the case."

Megson made 286 appearances as a player in two spells with the Yorkshire club, and was appointed Leicester boss by Mandaric in September 2007.
But he left the Walker's Stadium after only six weeks to take charge of Premier League side Bolton Wanderers.
Megson, who has also had spells in charge of Norwich, Blackpool, Stockport and Nottingham Forest, has been out of work since leaving the Reebok Stadium in December 2009.

"Wednesday is a club that I know as well as anybody," he told a news conference on Friday.
"I had two spells here as a player and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's something I've always wanted to do and I'm delighted. It's a tough job, but we want to get it moving quickly.
"I don't view it as 14 months out. I had 12 months on gardening leave so I didn't do a great deal. I have missed the football."

"You have to make a change," Mandaric told BBC Radio Sheffield on Thursday. "We just couldn't justify this, not for me, but for the whole club.
"We had a good man, who worked very hard, but things were not going in the right direction. You can't do anything else but make the change.
"We want to bring in the proper guy who will stop the results we've been having and turn us around

Comments

• Options
    Gary Megson seems to be one of those managers that consistently gets jobs despite being not very good.

See also: Peter Taylor.
  • Options
    If I supported Wednesday would not be overjoyed despite his playing career there. He could have a quick impact and get them up, certainly did a good job at WBA but Bolton fans were never his biggest fan whilst Wednesday have been on a downward spiral for a while so no guarantees.
  • Options
    I think I'm in a minority here, I don't think he is that bad. Comparing him with Peter Taylor is very harsh, at least Megson has achieved promotions with his own teams. I can see how people don't like him, he doesn't come across as a very likeable person and perhaps that is also conveyed to the players and boards he has worked with
  • Options
    Exactly the sort of appointment I hoped we wouldn't make. Am glad we've gambled on Powell possibly being a brilliant manager over someone with a mixed record who might be good but probably nothing more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]I think I'm in a minority here, I don't think he is that bad. Comparing him with Peter Taylor is very harsh, at least Megson has achieved promotions with his own teams. I can see how people don't like him, he doesn't come across as a very likeable person and perhaps that is also conveyed to the players and boards he has worked with

this

personally think this is a very good appointment for them
  • Options
    Didn't realise they got rid of Purse.

Megson isn't the sort of appointment which inspires you for a run for promotion imo
  • Options
    Hasnt he been sacked from 5 managerial positions? , may have my facts wrong but I think I heard it heard it on the football ramble

I wouldnt be too happy if I was a Wednesday fan
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The one thing that the likes of Megson, Allardyce, Laws, Pardew etc etc do do well is make themselves available for almost all Managerial positions in the Premiership/Championship. A little success (or for most of the examples quoted next to no success) allows them to then Manage a bigger Club then they had before.

The likes of Curbs, Hoddle, Guillit, Graham etc have either priced themselves out of the market or become so choosy that they then struggle to get a foot back on the ladder.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Didn't realise they got rid of Purse.

Megson isn't the sort of appointment which inspires you for a run for promotion imo

Purse joined "his" club Millwall.
  • Options
    Good appointment IMHO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he is better thwn people think if you ask me...

kept bolton up twice knows his football and I think he will do well for them ..
  • Options
    The only thing people moan about with his teams is that they play dour football.

Wednesday have been shipping goals so if he can stop that and get them winning, even Wednesday fans will put up with it.
  • Options
    He'll know how to tighten their defence all right and get them to the playoffs
    I won't fancy meeting them in the playoffs with this experienced manager.
    Unless Charlton .......................!
  • Options
    A look at his track record:

Norwich-95-96, failed to acheive promotion back to the prem, sacked.

Blackpool - 96-97, narrowly missed out on the Division 2 play offs, resigned and took the Stockport job

Stockport - 97-99, almost took them to the Division 1 play offs (a big acheivement for a small club), and kept them up the following season, relatively comfortably as far as I recall.

Stoke - 99 - Half a season, then sacked after a consortium took over.

West Brom - 2000-2004 - saved them from relegation in first season, steadied ship, lost in play offs following season, promoted the next. Relegated from Premiership, promoted again, left after falling out with chairman.

Forest - 2005-2006 - disliked, lost dressing room, failed to prevent relegation to League 1, and struggled in League 1 following season. Resigned.

Leicester - 2007 - Left after a few weeks to take Bolton job.

Bolton - 2007-2009 - hated by all at the club, various training ground bust ups with several players, Jussi quoted 'one of the worst men I have ever met', poor quality football. Made some decent signings however and also took them on a decent UEFA Cup run which would have been a lot better had he not fielded his reserves in half the games.

Sorry but that isn't my idea of a good appointment when people like Gary Johnson are about even with the Sheffield Wednesday links.
  • Options
    bit selective that mate
  • Options
    A better appointment for right now than Gary Johnson imo
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]bit selective that mate

Regale me in the bits that I have missed, I thought I was being kind to him!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Gary Megson seems to be one of those managers that consistently gets jobs despite being not very good.

See also: Peter Taylor.

See also: Alan Pardew

Wednesday did OK with Irvine but they can not handle teams who move the ball about at a quick tempo. i.e Charlton, Huddersfield, Peterborough. Can't see Megson doing any better.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wednesday 2-0 down at home to 10 man MK Dons, 'sacked in the morning' being sung at Megson already.
  • Options
    nice
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    although he got them going in the second half
  • Options
    MK Dons went down to 10 men , but this result helps push us back into the play off positions.
  • Options
    MK Dons finished with 9 men.

Don't think Megson took over the team until after this match, like us with Powell before the match at Hillsborough
  • Options
    Interesting to see on the face of it that Shef W have had their fair share go for them in the last couple of weeks (as we have) but haven't taken advantage of it, at least as far as the league is concerned (as we have)

MK DONS today - 2 opponents sent off (41 & 85)

HEREFORD (fa cup) - 2 penalties and opponent sent off (68)

YEOVIL - 2 opponents sent off (64 & 69
  • Options
    Add in the penalty Elliot saved

It's been a bad time for Wednesday to be the worst-form team in the league - the top 7 are also the top 7 form teams.
  • Options
    They now have five away matches in a row (one in the cup).

That has all the hallmarks of a 'make or break' run of games for their season.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wednesday are now losing 3-0 to Tranmere and down to 10 men.
  • Options
    We may not have had a great result tonight but imagine how bad it would be to be a Sheffield Wednesday fan at the moment! (My heart bleeds for them) From Sheffield's No2 team to their No1 team--Pity the Blades only drew tonight otherwise the Nigels would be in the drop zone!
  • Options
    Its their own fault, Gary Megson is a crap manager.