Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Work related advise needed

I have been at my current employers for 4 1/2 years as Head of Manufacturing. I enjoy the job and like the firm, I have 6 people reporting to me and control stock of up to £1m. My job entails project managers given me work to carry out for our install teams to install throughout the UK. I report directly to a director, a project manager job has come up reporting to the contracts manager. I have shown my interest in this position and have had a chat off site about it with the contract manager. Asked why I wanted to take a step down, I answered that it's seems that the company have a starting salary in line with what I earn now, going upto £5k and a car for the right person with experience. I have spoke to my boss before I did anything and he informed the MD.
I think I can do the job and my boss said I would make a good PM.
I have to let the CM know next week if I want totake the application further.
Not sure what to do, as it is now I'm in a "safe" position and moving into PM would carry more risk. The CM said he would spread to the MD.

Do I take the application further? Or wait to see if my salary is reviewed in the position I am in now?

Comments

• Options
    I'm in the same situation but i have been offered the job in our install dept and service dept are trying so hard to keep me. Prpblem i have is to start with i would have to take a drop in wages but in the future they would rise and they need an answer now as i would be due to start the new job on the 14th feb what do i do?
  • Options
    Why don't you go through the process, wait and see if you are offered the job and then decide ? You can always turn it down.
    By then you may have made your mind up in any case.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Why don't you go through the process, wait and see if you are offered the job and then decide ? You can always turn it down.
    By then you may have made your mind up in any case.

I think if you go through the process and then turn it down it may undermine your position in the company. If you are respected now you don't want to be seen as a time waster or indecisive.

Not sure people here can advise you what to do, but suggest that you ask yourself some questions:-

How comfortable are you with change?
    You say that the new role would be more insecure, how more insecure? Does that level of insecurity really worry you?
    What is it in your current role that you are unhappy with, that makes you want to change? Is it change for change sake?
    If the new role is a step down would it improve your work life balance? Would there be less stress?

FR If they are saying future earnings willincrease are they wiling to put that in writing.

At the end of the day you need to balance the pros and cons of each against your life circumstances.
  • Options
    They will not not put i writing because it is commission related pay but have been offered a higher basic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]They will not not put i writing because it is commission related pay but have been offered a higher basic.

Its a judgement call by you,do you think you can achieve the commission levels that would meet your needs or are the targets going to be too challenging?
  • Options
    We had 3 PMs up until last year, this was cut down to 2 when sales were low, they want an extra one now. I think it a case of the 2 moaning about pressure of work, rather than an increase of sales. I am the only one doing my current job, nearly all the work carried out by the company lands on my desk in my current role.

I'm unhappy with the performance of the current pm as it causes me problems in my duties. I've been outwork in the past and it's no fun. I'm not sure if I want the job if I went for it, it's more a case of how is it I can take a step down and get a pay rise and a car? I not sure if either of the 2 PMs could do my job.
  • Options
    Don't rely on commission.

If the new job pays a basic that is less than you get now you will have to expect to take home less. Sales are really hard in all businesses at the moment. Excuses are often used to discount your commission - e.g. you didn't really close out the sale.

If someone (pm) is not performing their job properly document it. Make them get it right and you will benefit.

When people working for you are more productive it makes a better case for you to get a pay rise.
  • Options
    This is a tough choice, dont only think about the wonga...

its about the posistion, how rewarding is it? Will it be challenging enough, or too challenging?

Good luck
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]We had 3 PMs up until last year, this was cut down to 2 when sales were low, they want an extra one now. all the work carried out by the company lands on my desk in my current role.I think it a case of the 2 moaning about pressure of work, rather than an increase of sales. I am the only one doing my current job, nearly

I'm unhappy with the performance of the current pm as it causes me problems in my duties. I've been outwork in the past and it's no fun. I'm not sure if I want the job if I went for it, it's more a case of how is it I can take a step down and get a pay rise and a car? I not sure if either of the 2 PMs could do my job.

....."I think it a case of the 2 moaning about pressure of work, rather than an increase of sales.".......

If it was me that phrase would have a huge bearing on my decision as I have family commitments and obligations.

In the present climate a "safe" position has to be good.

But then I have probably become too cautious by nature having been once bitten and all that when younger.
  • Options
    Went for the new role in the end, just waiting for a start date now looking forward to the new challenge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Got turned down for the position of project manager, as I do t have enough experience of CAD. The thing is the PM do very little with it and when they do, someone else does it. I was willing to learn, they are now going outside to find a PM, who will take months to learn our products.

Sounds like a cop out to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]Went for the new role in the end, just waiting for a start date now looking forward to the new challenge

Good luck.
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Got turned down for the position of project manager, as I do t have enough experience of CAD. The thing is the PM do very little with it and when they do, someone else does it. I was willing to learn, they are now going outside to find a PM, who will take months to learn our products.

Sounds like a cop out to me.

Sorry to hear that
  • Options
    My instincts tell me you should stay where you are, it's easy to look at a change after years in a job, but the grass is not always greener etc. The big thing is that you have indicated to your Boss that you are unsettled now, and that should spark him into looking at making you happier in your current job. This is a time to be staying firmly entrenched in a good situation. Good luck.