Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doherty - who should replace him next Saturday? - False Alarm I'm wrong!

Doc picked up his 5th yellow card at Yeovil and so will miss the next game. Who do you think should replace him, perhaps someone could do a poll thingy.

If Bessone is fit and Fry remains I suggest putting Fry alongside Dailly and Bessone on the left.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Sorry but not so.

(i) If a Player accumulates five cautions in First Team Competitive matches (FTCM) between the opening day of the Playing Season and 31 December (including any FTCM played on that day) in the same Season, he will be suspended automatically for a period covering: - One First Team Match

(ii) If a Player accumulates five cautions in FTCM between the opening day of the Playing Season and the last day of the same Season, he will be: - “Warned as to his Future Conduct”

(iv) If a Player accumulates ten cautions in FTCM between the opening day of the Playing Season and the second Sunday of April in the same Season, he will be suspended automatically for a period covering:- Two First Team matches
  • I stand corrected - thank you Henry.

Can someone please sink this thread
  • Thats a shame. I would have been happy with giving Fortune, Fry or Llera another chance.

I know we've kept 3 clean sheets in a row but Docherty is still the one player in the team who worries me - not his fault but he is just past his sell by date! Desperately hoping Chrissy can inspire Fortune back to something like his former self
  • Doherty is so poor its unreal, everything he done at yeovil was so slow, nearly got sent of because of a poor missed timed tackle, i think its time for him to be replaced at the back
  • problem is no matter how poorly you think a player is playing, if he is part of a back four that have kept 3 clean sheets in a row how can CP drop him?

If he does and we lose the game, he would open himself up for criticism.
  • [cite]Posted By: SurreyAddick[/cite]Thats a shame. I would have been happy with giving Fortune, Fry or Llera another chance

You'd be happy giving Llera another chance? What drugs have you been taking?!
  • Docherty had a decent game on saturday. He made 3 mistakes really, 2 early on and then the mistimed tackle that could have seen him sent off. Against that he made one fantastic "carragher style block" in the first half that would certainly have led to a goal. At this level he's still good enough defensively. His distribution should improve tho
  • Is it just me who thinks Doherty isn't that bad? He makes some mistakes but no more than other players. For me he's a fairly good League One centre back. I'd prefer him over Llera and Fortune.
  • Francis must be relieved now the whipping boy baton has been passed on to someone else
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Is it just me who thinks Doherty isn't that bad? He makes some mistakes but no more than other players. For me he's a fairly good League One centre back. I'd prefer him over Llera and Fortune.

I think he's been okay, quite a few or his errors seem to come away from home when listening to cafcplayer.

Plus he's been part of a back 4 which has kept 3 clean sheets so something must be working
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: BigSam_Cafc[/cite]Doherty is so poor its unreal, everything he done at yeovil was so slow, nearly got sent of because of a poor missed timed tackle, i think its time for him to be replaced at the back

I was at Yeovil too .......and IMO you are being harsh on Doherty.

From my viewpoint, I thought Doherty was almost faultless in the air - always in the right position, and got his head to virtually everything when Yeovil put us under the cosh in the last 15 mins.

On the ground though, he looked vulnerable. Again he invariably reads the game well and positionally sound ..... but then it seems to go slow motion for him; sometimes he just doesn't seem able to react quickly enough.

Nippy pacy strikers are most tall CBs nightmare, and twice on Saturday the Doc clipped his man.
    Nothing malicious or intentional, but his opponent was just too quick for him on the floor.

But as others have said above, he was a solid and couragous member of a our back 4, which again kept a clean sheet.
    And as Scoham said, he's a decent enough CB at League One level.
  • CB's in order of skill from what i've seen

Dailly
    Doherty
    Fry
    Llera
    Mambo
  • From a skill set point of view, IMO you underestimate Llera there, Dazzler.

He's got a decent enough touch on the ball, when he has time - and capable of picking a defence splitting pass.
    His big weakness is like most big CBs ....... easily turned on the floor by a nippy striker.
  • Doc's a good player who occasionally feels the pace. Ask Dailly who'd he 'd prefer to play with and I reckon he'd go for Doc. I like his heading, tackling and blocking. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses but on balance I think Doc's style of play and experience make him the best partner for Dailly.
  • I know what you mean, if we needed a player to pump the ball up field and it to get to it's target (unlike Doherty's hoofs) then I would have Llera ahead of him but I feel reading the game is a skill in itself and one Llera doesn't have. He also has poor concentration levels so much so that for the beginning of last season he had it written on his hand.

Can't find a picture of it sadly :o(
  • 3 games 3 clean sheets no change needed
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]He also has poor concentration levels so much so that for the beginning of last season he had it written on his hand.

Can't find a picture of it sadly :o(
    It was on last years Charlton calendar.
  • I've made this point before - I agree The Doc is short on pace but how many goals have we conceeded this season that we can attribute to his lack of pace? I can't think of one.
  • I take it nobody can come up with an example either - I know it' can be a bit frightening to watch him tread water, but the stats suggest it isn't a major issue for us and he is a decent defender -just almost certainly, not at a higher level week in week out although I'd keep him in the squad if we went up.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Is it just me who thinks Doherty isn't that bad? He makes some mistakes but no more than other players. For me he's a fairly good League One centre back. I'd prefer him over Llera and Fortune.

He is what it says on the tin. A good league 1 centre half.

I remember a Norwich fan coming on shortly after we signed him essentially saying that he would put his head and other body parts where many fear to tread and would pick up his share of goals from set pieces. Against that he is not the quickest and is always likely to make the odd catastrophic mistake.

That to me seems a fair assessment apart from the goals bit and we still have 20 games for that to change. He nearly scored against Spurs and is getting into better positions now in the box I think which, even if he is not scoring himself, takes defenders and opens it up for others.

I've always admired Fortune and I like Llera's attitude too but Fortch seems to have lost a crucial bit of pace following his achilles rupture whilst Big Mig is equally slow and liable to make a mistake. Doc is the man in possession and we have 3 clean sheets "on the spin" as Curbs would say.

For the moment at least, injuries and suspensions permitting, he stays in as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• doc is deceptive - not ideal but better than Fortune and Llera
  • I don't know about deceptive, Dan.

Just a little arthritic and hesitant facing a nippy opponent on the ground.
    But he is slow.

In the air he is first class. And generally always in the right position at the right time.
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I've made this point before - I agree The Doc is short on pace but how many goals have we conceeded this season that we can attribute to his lack of pace? I can't think of one.

I agree - you feel he's going to be awful but somehow never is. When you compare their athleticism it is difficult to believe he is 30 and Dailly is 37.