Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Motorbike

edited February 2011 in Not Sports Related
I am now old enough to have an official mid-life crisis. Therefore, if I were to follow the rulebook properly, I need to buy myself a motorbike.

Thing is, I have no idea about motorbikes. Never owned one, never ridden one, never even been given a lift on one. But, as I am not "of a certain age", I think I have some sort of duty to complete this particular rite of passage and get one.

So, motorbikists - what should I get?

Comments

• Options
    something small-ish maybe a 500cc
    list of 500cc bikes
  • Options
    If you are serious, then go for it, I have been riding 30 years and it is the ultimate freedom.
    No traffic jams, good cameraderie from fellow bike riders. Not only that when you pass your test even a 600cc bike will p!ss all over most sports cars.
    So what style off bike, my choice is a sports bike, cos they are mentally fast and look the nuts, but you can ge the old retro Triumphs, KTM dirtbikes or even reliableish Lambrettas/scooters, though technically not motorbikes.
    I dont know where you live but Bates Motorcycles in Dartford offer CBT training and sell well priced bikes, go visit them and they will give you sound advice re tests insurance etc.
    A few on here know Kev Portch (Goodbye Horse Fanzine) he did his test a few years ago, and loves it, has been touring on his with a few mates.
    If you do for it, get the best kit and bike you can afford, its a good way to travel!!
  • Options
    A friend of mind had the same crisis about 18 months ago and bought a big Yamaha. It frightens the life out of him and I think the only time he's dared ride it was to the MOT station and back! He talks about doing a long road trip down to his property in Spain, but somehow I doubt it will ever happen.

I took my CBT last year, with some idea that I might get a bike, but I've not taken it any further.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    How easy is the CBT and motor cycle riding as a whole really? I'm seriously interested but have only ridden scooters :o(

(my step dad owned bikes so I know a bit about them but as above I've never learnt to ride proper motorbikes.)
  • Options
    I have owned various bike over my 30+ riding years , its a case of what ever takes your fancy , test rides are the way to go , find what best suits your riding style and for what you need the bike for , The best pound for pound fun i have had is the supermoto bikes 600cc single bikes that weigh next to nothing , barreling down the B roads of Kent/Surrey bloody great , now i have a retro Triumph , nice for cruising around on and it gets a lot of interest , You might also want to take in a few bike shows ,plenty of advice to be had there and if you can get to some of the bike runs ( southend shakedown/margate meltdown/Brighton burnup) you will see what its like to belong to a friendly community of motorcyclist/bikers , you cant beat it , car drivers use their vehicles to get from A TO B motorcycling is a way of life ( a old cliche but true ) .
  • Options
    Yes, my first thought was 'Don't do it!' as I know a number of people of a certain age who have either bought 'bikes for the first time or gone back to 'biking after a break of several years. Most have ended up in hospital with busted bones: the downside of 'biking. But then again you have great times on a 'bike and can make many friends, especially if you join one of the motorcycle clubs/owners clubs. The convenience of a 'bike, the freedom, the economy etc. must all be balanced againgt the fact that most car drivers don't think you exist and drive accordingly. You have to develop a sixth sense, the ability to anticipate what could happen ahead of you and then decide what to do about it: all in a split second. I've had to pack it in now but I've so many memories, good and bad, funny and sad after 48 years of riding and I miss it terribly, though in the last couple of years I was riding so defensively it was not so enjoyable but that's probaply an age thing! Go for it, Chizz but watch out for the Volvos!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]How easy is the CBT and motor cycle riding as a whole really? I'm seriously interested but have only ridden scooters :o(

(my step dad owned bikes so I know a bit about them but as above I've never learnt to ride proper motorbikes.)

CBT was easy for me because I used to ride bikes in my youth, but never took my test. There was a lad on the same course as me who just couldn't get the hang of the gears/clutch. If you think you'll struggle with that you need to practice beforehand - I have no idea how you do that when you haven't passed the CBT - bit of a chicken and egg situation!
  • Options
    lessons I guess it is!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]I am now old enough to have an official mid-life crisis. Therefore, if I were to follow the rulebook properly, I need to buy myself a motorbike.

Thing is, I have no idea about motorbikes. Never owned one, never ridden one, never even been given a lift on one. But, as I am not "of a certain age", I think I have some sort of duty to complete this particular rite of passage and get one.

So, motorbikists - what should I get?[/quote]

Pass your test and start with a low power bike - 250-500cc and get a year or so's experience first then trade up.
  • Options
    Sorry Dazzler, didn't mean to leave you out, it takes me so long to write anything these days half a dozen other posts roll up before I've finished. Anyway it's mainly a matter of co-ordination and balance. If you can ride a pushbike you're on the way, but the clutch/throttle / gear changecange take some time to get the hang of (as mentioned by Saga Lout). You're welcome to drop in and have a sit on my old Bonneville some time to see if bikes agree with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get Suzuki SV650S one of the best all round bikes on the market. Or if you want a small sportsbike get a Kawasaki ZXR 400 had one for years great fun.
  • Options
    Mrs RM went through an age crisis thing (at 37!!) 3 years ago and, despite my protestations, she took her CBT (having never ridden a bike before) in the November after she joined a motorbike proficency school and went out on their bikes, firstly a Suzuki 125 then a Suzuki GS500, which she took her test on just 4 months later.
    She now owns a Suzuki V650S sports bike (her first bike that she's had since passing her test) and absolutely loves it!! Now Mrs RM is not the biggest lady in the world - about 5'4" and a size 10 at the most - but she throws this bike around as though she has been riding for many years.
    I dont like her going out on it, beacuse despite the fact she can ride very well I worry about car drivers, that dont seem to be 'bike aware'!!
    However she, as I said, loves it and goes out with a group of other bikers (male and female) about once a month in this weather and more in the spring/summer for day trips to all sorts of places, where they meet up with ike minded souls!
    If you are serious about doing this look for a motorbike proficency club, they helped her no end, I also bought her a day with the local police bike riders here in Leicestershire so she could learn more advanced riding and also be told by them what she needs to do to improve. Money well spent in my opinion.

I now am a more considerate car driver and more aware of bikes than I ever was before she started riding, so I've learnt a few things as wel.

Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]You're welcome to drop in and have a sit on my old Bonneville some time

ooh err missus
  • Options
    Chizz,
    as has been pointed out - don't go for anything too big at first. 400/500cc is plenty big enough until you get the confidence. Also go for one with a low centre of gravity - eg: don't go for an enduro bike -higher centre of gravity and any trouble with balance are amplified at low speeds.
    Most of all - go for it and enjoy yourself.
    PS: I am 50, had bikes all my life, currenlty running a 600 Suzuki and renovating a 1980 Yamaha RD125 - the first bike I ever owned at 17.
  • Options
    If you ride a bike the only way to (half) survive is to pretend you're invisible, accept that all four wheeled road users hate you and quite deliberately want to kill or maim you, that everybody else will not obey the rules of the road...and finally (the hardest) you should think that ALL accidents you have are your fault, even when sitting stationary at lights and someone hits you up the arris. Good luck, and I hope you survive...rode a bike for 14 years, but i won't be getting one for my son...a dent in a car is a mashed leg for a biker.
  • Options
    Was commuting 80 miles a day by car and my mid life crisis gave me excuse to get a bike. Never ridden anything before and took two goes to pass the test. Never thought I would be able to ride between cars in traffic but it's easier and safer than it looks. Started with a Honda Transalp which sits high and not very sporty so soon traded for a 995 Triumph. Toured Scotland and rode in all weathers was doing 35,000 miles a year. Fantastic to arrive at work feeling like you'd just come from a fairground ride. Wrote it off in a slow speed accident and broke an ankle and wrist and sad to say bowed to wife's pressure to not to get another one so changed jobs instead of going back to car commuting, but miss it badly. It stopped me having any desire to drive a car at at speed as nothing compares to a bike, and I think the bike training makes you a far better road user. One thing I was surprised at was the high cost of servicing and messing with chains when you do plenty of miles and tyres that last six months.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Sorry Dazzler, didn't mean to leave you out, it takes me so long to write anything these days half a dozen other posts roll up before I've finished. Anyway it's mainly a matter of co-ordination and balance. If you can ride a pushbike you're on the way, but the clutch/throttle / gear changecange take some time to get the hang of (as mentioned by Saga Lout). You're welcome to drop in and have a sit on my old Bonneville some time to see if bikes agree with you.
    ha ha ha no problem Marchie. I will probably apply to do some lessons get a feel for bikes and then go on from there.
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]You're welcome to drop in and have a sit on my old Bonneville some time

ooh err missus
    how is it you find these on every thread! LMAO
  • Options
    Chizz, which gang are you going to join?
  • Options
    March your flags fallen down! Just drove by!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Dazzler, repairs required at top of pole. Will try to find some time in my busy schedule to fix it. Should be sorted by Saturday. Just to keep this on a 'bike theme have a listen to www.vintagebike/galleries/sounds.php. Crank up the volume at work.