Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wireless Broadband Help (No landline)

edited February 2011 in Not Sports Related
I know there's been similar discussions in the past but the technology is always changing so what's best now probably wasn't the best then.

Any recommendations? We have no bt landline and would rather not have one. We're currently using a dongle on a sony laptop. Getting a mac this week so want decent wireless broadband although we're not heavy internet users. We're Sky customers and live in Lee (SE12).

Any techie help will be much appreciated (Leroy, no anti-apple rants, please - we're definitely getting a mac).

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    You should look at a Three Mifi .... depends on the 3 coverage in the area.

You can connect up to 5 mobile devices onto the MIFI. It does actually work
  • Options
    Those Mifi things are pretty nifty, but they're quite limited in the traffic that can go through mobile broadband, so if you want to watch iPlayer then I'd not go down that road. Also a bit slower than a fixed line, so if you're hoping to look at a lot of filth and want it delivered fast and in HD, then it's not ideal.

I'd say you've got three options:

1) Put in a BT line and take advantage of Sky's free broadband basic package. The cost of the line rental will more or less be canceled out by the free broadband. It's not the quickest, but I use it and it's fine).
    2) Go with Talktalk who put their own line in (not sure if you particularly didn't want BT or didn't want a land line?)
    3) Go with a fibre optic service like Virgin - which will cost more, but will give you better performance than the other options.
  • Options
    3) Go with a fibre optic service like Virgin - which will cost more, but will give you better performance than the other options.

This what I have and would fully recommend it ... virtually problem-free and very fast
  • Options
    Have a look at www.broadbandgenie.co.uk

I have a Vodafone dongle which works fine in Plumstead.
  • Options
    Cheers for the advice. I've looked at the Sky and Virgin options. The fibre optic cable service from Virgin looks impressive. Would be cheaper to upgrade our Sky package but we really don't need a landline and would be happier to pay a few extra quid for the better performance. Virgin covers our area. Would hope they offer mac support.
  • Options
    They do, definitely
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]I know there's been similar discussions in the past but the technology is always changing so what's best now probably wasn't the best then.

Any recommendations? We have no bt landline and would rather not have one. We're currently using a dongle on a sony laptop. Getting a mac this week so want decent wireless broadband although we're not heavy internet users. We're Sky customers and live in Lee (SE12).

Any techie help will be much appreciated (Leroy, no anti-apple rants, please - we're definitely getting a mac).

Cheers

Mobile broadband is crap - and only going to get worse - for anything other than light web-browsing and basic email.

Once you get onto anything video-related or needing heavy data applications then mobile broadband is hopeless compared to a decent fixed-line service, there are too many people using too little spectrum.

There are plenty of good bargains in the fixed-line segment now and keep a look out for BT Infinity when it comes to your area, the speeds and quality are fantastic.
  • Options
    Fibre is the only way to go, BT infinity is very, very good, if not then you need a land line for any decent bandwidth but don't waste your money with a dongle
  • Options
    Bog standard, cheap-as-chips, no-extras serice from Plusnet can't really be beaten at £6.49 a month.

http://www.plus.net/residential/affiliate_offer_promo.shtml

Little secret - Plusnet are owned and backed by BT so you should get the benefit of their network strength with Yorkshire Helpdesk!
  • Options
    I can't connect to my sky wireless broadband! It works fine with the Cat 5e cable connected to my computer but the wireless doesn't work. I have the network key, have adjusted the settings but haven't had any success. Also can't connect using my phone which I can connect to other wireless' successfully with.

Help.