Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yeovil

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Had a great chat with Dickie Plum before the match, used to play for us in the seventies.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Remember him, quite lighhtweight forward, i think he was in the same team as Derek Bellotti (Keeper) and Bobby Goldthorpe (CH). Any thing worth sharing?
  • Dickie Plumb signed for £7,000 in Sept 1970 from then non-league Yeovil Town.

He spent 2 years at The Valley before leaving for Exeter, and eventually finding his way back to Yeovil.
    I think I remember reading somewhere that he's Yeovil's record second-highest leading goalscorer.

"Dickie, Dickie, Dickie Plumb, Dickie Plumb, Dickie Plumb"
    , we used to sing in the Covered End.
    Probably hit the post more times than he scored (10 goals in 30-odd League games.

But brave as hell, with his trademark diving headers.
  • We'd also signed Alan Campbell lookalike midfielder Cyril Davies from Yeovil for a fee rising to £5,000, a couple of months before.

He went from non-league to winning Wales Under-23 caps, while he was with Charlton.
    Suffered a nasty knee injury in 1973 if I remember, which wrecked his career aged about 24.
  • Didn't Davies actually get a full cap ?

A few years ago they did a feature on him in the Programme . I think he now works in a private school and does coaching courses for Chelsea.
  • Cyril Davies was groundsman, and I believe did some football coaching as well as playing, at Old Roan for many years so stayed in the area.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Cyril Davies was groundsman, and I believe did some football coaching as well as playing, at Old Roan for many years so stayed in the area.

He also went back to Yeovil, probably at the pre-season of 75-76 and attempted a comeback.
    He broke down in his first match.

I don't believe he was able to play again.
  • Cyril Davies was a really good player as far as I remember.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Cyril Davies was groundsman, and I believe did some football coaching as well as playing, at Old Roan for many years so stayed in the area.

He played for Old Roan around 1980 in the old Spartan League.