Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burning Smell coming from loft

Should i be worried? I've had a look round up there but cant see anything burning or any smoke, but it smells like burning (reminded me of my old scaletrix after over use) can anybody help please?

Comments

• Options
    you got a water tank up there?
  • Options
    yes mate
  • Options
    could be a blocked pipe from there get it checked if its still like that tommorow
  • Options
    cheers nolly
  • Options
    You got any electrics up there ? Any cables covered by insulation? If you have cables covered by insulation, it reduces their capacity to dissipate heat. You have to uprate the size of the cables if they are covered. The other thing is to check any connections to make sure that there is no burning on the connections, or no overheating on any joins or connector blocks on the cable.
  • Options
    I don't want to worry you unduly, but a burning smell in the loft is not something you should ignore.

Let us all know how you get on and manage to identify the problem.
  • Options
    Definitely get it checked out. A couple of years ago one of my neighbours was killed by a fire that started in his loft, it was frightening to see just how quick it went. Make sure your smoke detectors are working too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]could be a blocked pipe from there get it checked if its still like that tommorow

How would a water tank be linked to fire/burning???
  • Options
    smell of a dead animal? rat or mice possibly !!
  • Options
    The thing is I can't see any fumes and can't work out where in the loft the smell is coming from. I'm worried as my room is below the loft n if a fire was to start it would be too late by the time the alarm goes off! I can't sleep as I'm worried big time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing is I can't see any fumes and can't work out where in the loft the smell is coming from. I'm worried as my room is below the loft n if a fire was to start it would be too late by the time the alarm goes off! I can't sleep as I'm worried big time!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Have you recently had any electrical or insulation work done up there? If you have, then definitely get it checked ASAP. Failing that (don't laugh) check outside to see if there has been a neighbour burning garden rubbish or a bonfire tonight - the smell of smoke wafts in under eaves and gets trapped up there.
  • Options
    Are you in a terrace or semi?

If so it could be a neighbour.
  • Options
    do you have any spotlights built into the ceiling in any upstairs rooms? couls well be insulation sitting on them or if you notice any are out then it could be that the transformer has burnt out
  • Options
    If it smells like how scalextrix used to smell I would bet it is deffo an electrical overheat. Check junction boxes and light fittings to rooms below. Don't ignore it whatever you do.
  • Options
    If you have a signal booster in the loft it could also be that. Certainly sounds electrical but may have already burnt itself out by now but will still need looking at
  • Options
    Get this checked out by an electrician asap. Buy another smoke alarm and fit to one of the wooden beams at the top of the loft. The smoke alrms downstairs won't activate until its too late -don't want to panic you!
  • Options
    Yep get an electrician out
  • Options
    If he dosnt post on here today, I think we should assume the worst....
  • Options
    Get it checked. I have been in a house fire that started in the loft, the coating on the wire had worn away and over time heats up as the same amount of current goes through it. It set our xmas decorations on fire, luckily enough we had a british gas fire alarm so all got out.

Better to be safe than sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have you got a shower pump fitted in the loft? Could be that, means it`s coming to the end of it`s time. They sometimes burn out as they get old. As the other`s have already said here, check all your wiring in the loft.
  • Options
    Cheers for the comments guys, electrician is coming over later, will let you know what the outcome is.
  • Options
    Also another thing worth checking is to see if you have had any squirrels in the loft , these buggers will chew through most things !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Cheers for the comments guys, electrician is coming over later, will let you know what the outcome is.

Phew! So relieved to see you post again. I was worried ....!
  • Options
    sounds like someones living in your loft.

and playing scalextrix.
  • Options
    I didnt smell it but I had shorts off those downlighters where the fire retardent insulation had contacted them, luckily the stuff melts back, but defintiely worth urgently investigating as others have said
  • Options
    I think my first call might have been to the fire station to see what they advise, not a footy forum - don't fool around with fire. Concerns over this can't wait - you only have to be unlucky once after all.
  • Options
    I doubt I'd have been logging on here if I could smell burning in my loft !
  • Options
    Anne Frank's got the bong on the go !
  • Options
    dear dear afka