Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clapton and Winwood...

edited February 2011 in Not Sports Related
from MSG. I Sky+ this and watched it last night, bloody hell they were superb, played all the classics, fantastic version of Jimi's Little Wing and a very bluesy Voodoo Chile (sorry Ken). Clapton just gets better and better, as does Winwoods voice, catch it on iplayer (BBC Four).

Comments

• I bought Blind Faiths album when it first came out and thought it was suberb. The combination of Clapton and Winwood to me was the dream ticket. Stevie Winwood's Voice and Hammond organ playing is fantastic. He is also a very underated guitarist. Clapton is just Clapton,there are very few that can play the blues like he can. The first album i ever bought was John Mayalls bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton and i have seen Eric in concert in various bands ever since. I even went to see Derek and the Dominoes at the old Black Prince all those years ago.
  • uncle played with clapton mentioned in all his books
  • If you want a great read get Claptons autobiography - fascinating stuff - his love for George Harrisons missus, how Layla came about, his drugs and drinking etc. I couldn't put it down which peed off the mrs as we were away on holdiay, but all day I just read the book.
    He is my all time favourite musician.
    I saw the prog with him and Winwood a few nights ago.....pure classic!

Anyone interested in autobiography's and music etc.....Johnny Walker's (the DJ) auto is also an exceptional read.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]If you want a great read get Claptons autobiography - fascinating stuff - his love for George Harrisons missus, how Layla came about, his drugs and drinking etc. I couldn't put it down which peed off the mrs as we were away on holdiay, but all day I just read the book.
    He is my all time favourite musician.
    I saw the prog with him and Winwood a few nights ago.....pure classic!

Anyone interested in autobiography's and music etc.....Johnny Walker's (the DJ) auto is also an exceptional read.[/quote]

Yes read it, also just read Keith Richards autobio, brilliant just as good as Claptons
  • terry brennan mentioned in it??
  • Dunno will have to look!
  • gets mentioned in a few my uncle was unruly but clapton said he had one of the best blues voices his ever heard.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]terry brennan mentioned in it??

Oh dear I'll have to re-read it to find out Nolly, that'll please the Mrs!!! :-)
    I'll let you know
  • [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]from MSG. I Sky+ this and watched it last night, bloody hell they were superb, played all the classics, fantastic version of Jimi's Little Wing and a very bluesy Voodoo Chile (sorry Ken). Clapton just gets better and better, as does Winwoods voice, catch it on iplayer (BBC Four).

Missed it bibble, but will have to catch it. Steve Windwood played on the Electric ladyland album, on the long version of Voodoo chile, and Jimi and Eric were very close as friends, apparently the last time he saw jimi he had a left handed strat which he bought for Jimi and failed to give it to him at the theatre!. Eric talks about it on film and his eyes fill up, he was devastated by Jimi's death. Jimi tried on many an occassion to get Steve to join his group, but it never happened!.

Here is an alternative take with Steve Windwood on it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47IEb6aAYpE&feature=related

Re:Blind faith, I love the melodic songs like 'Sea of Joy', and 'Had to cry today'

The Clapton Book is very good, but fails to mention Rory Gallagher and his contribution to European blues music, so I was a little upset by this ommission!.
  • the one i looked at his name was in the index and a few photos as well
  • Sponsored links:

• went to see winwood at the roundhouse in camden town. he still looks about 19. good night.
  • [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]terry brennan mentioned in it??

Oh dear I'll have to re-read it to find out Nolly, that'll please the Mrs!!! :-)
    I'll let you know

Nolly, yes Terry Brenan is mentioned in it, about being a fantastic guy who had a great voice and as incredibly gentle. It was Eric's admiration for him and Robin Benwell Palmer (aka 'ben') that made Eric join their band....called the Roosters I believe.
    Hope that helps.
  • thanks think claptons done a few books always mentioned nicely,my uncle got a few old records on youtube with Ian mclagan and his voice is really unique. Might have to go locate him soon.