Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whats happened to Swindon?

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Beat us last year to make the play off final and since then have been awful and currently losing 3-0 to Orient which leaves them in the bottom 4. I know Austins just gone but they havent had that much change have they? am i missing something?

Comments

• Got shot of their two top dog scorers , will prob go down with Plymouth , Bristol Rovers and Walsall
  • didnt think they were that bad!
  • Doing a Charlton.....
  • I cant believe we lost to them. Infact i think we've done poorly in the games against most of the bottom half teams. We've played all the bottom 4 at home and got 2 points from 12.
  • yeah i agree we did the same last year if i remember against the teams furhter down the bottom
  • Sold top scorers Austin (Burnley) & Painter (Leeds). Sold captain & centre half Greer (Brighton). Ward returned to Bolton at end of loan.

Only very good player left is Jonathan Douglas ex- Leeds.
  • What covered end said :) .
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Sold top scorers Austin (Burnley) & Painter (Leeds). Sold captain & centre half Greer (Brighton). Ward returned to Bolton at end of loan.

Have they sacked the manager this season?
  • Said at the beginning of the season theyd go down... wished id backed it!
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Sold top scorers Austin (Burnley) & Painter (Leeds). Sold captain & centre half Greer (Brighton). Ward returned to Bolton at end of loan.

Have they sacked the manager this season?

Not yet, it's still Danny Wilson. However, tomorrow .......
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Doing a Charlton.....

God help them. ;)
  • As well as the 4 players mentioned above that have left, their Number 1 keeper Lucas has been out for much of the season and not sure their Number 2 Smith is as good. Thats 5 key players they are without, so no suprise they are struggling but did not think they would be quite so low down the league.
  • This is what Football Rumours has to say on the subject

08 Feb 2011 20:35:55
    Danny Wilson will be sacked as Swindon Towns manager with Phil Parkinson the favourite to take over, The Robins are losing 3-0 at the moment. . to Leyton Orient
  • only a few weeks back losing 4-2 at home to them wasn't that shameful a result according to club apologists
  • Couldn't happen to a more smug bunch of t*ssers.
  • parkinson going to swindon what nonsense they play football at swindon for a start whatever their results
  • [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]yeah i agree we did the same last year if i remember against the teams furhter down the bottom

The only teams we lost in the league to last season were

Colchester United - finished 8th
    Carlisle United - 14th
    Leyton Orient - 17th
    Bristol Rovers - 11th
    Brighton - 13th
    Millwall - 3rd
    Southampton - 7th
    Norwich - 1st

Gillingham (21st) was probably the only team we did poorly against both home and away, and even then we'd didn't lose either game.
  • since they're last win, against us, they have lost 11 and drawn 7 and look set to get relegated

shouldn't have beaten us in the play offs and so meekly let the scum get promoted.... pah!
  • That'll teach em.
  • edited April 2011
    Was looking the other day at how far adrift they are.

They must be awful. That'll teach them for showing us up on Sky 3 times in a row.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Got shot of their two top dog scorers , will prob go down with Plymouth , Bristol Rovers and Walsall

Not a bad call. I think Plymouth and Swindon are gone. Just shows what happens when you're a two man team and have to sell them.

It's a fascinating scenario down at the foot of the table. Any two from 5 (Tranmere, Bristol Rovers, Notts County, D&R and Walsall can go down too.

Vital fixtures to be played as well:

Plymouth v Walsall
    Dag and Red v Tranmere
    Tranmere v D&R
    Tranmere v Notts County
    D&R v Plymouth
    Swindon v Notts County
    Tranmere v Swindon
  • I'm hereby starting an Alan O'Brien to Charlton rumour. Thought he was pretty decent in the games we've played against them these last couple of seasons.
  • Jonathan Douglas is the one we need. Captain & best midfielder in the division. It was down to him, that they beat us in the pay offs IMO.
    A Kinsella type of player.
  • Not sure we should be going down the route of signing players who have just been relegated from this league again, no matter how highly they are rated by their own clubs.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Not sure we should be going down the route of signing players who have just been relegated from this league again, no matter how highly they are rated by their own clubs.

Why not? Just look at the roaring success that both Francis and McOxo have been, endearing themselves to the fans, getting stuck in and generally being top lads.

Oh, hang on a minute ................
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Jonathan Douglas is the one we need. Captain & best midfielder in the division. It was down to him, that they beat us in the pay offs IMO.
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Not sure we should be going down the route of signing players who have just been relegated from this league again, no matter how highly they are rated by their own clubs.

That's rather like saying all loan signings are bad. You have to look at each player individually & Douglas has looked an immense box to box player & a leader, which is exactly what we need. (Bearing in mind that he is a League 1 player).
  • edited April 2011
    4-2 bs us messed em up
  • Curbs used to do really well buying players from relegated clubs or buying from clubs that missed out in the play offs. Did Claus Jensen come to us after Bolton went down?
  • [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Curbs used to do really well buying players from relegated clubs or buying from clubs that missed out in the play offs. Did Claus Jensen come to us after Bolton went down?
    and Darren Bent when Ipswich didn't go up. But I think the difference between championship (which is where we're aiming next season) and league one is a lot bigger than premier league and championship
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Jonathan Douglas is the one we need. Captain & best midfielder in the division. It was down to him, that they beat us in the pay offs IMO.

Agreed, he was excellent in the POSF.

I don't know if he is still at that level as I have not seen him play this season but he can't be much worse than what we have.