Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

National anthem

Why do our national players not sing it? if i was a coach in the set up, i would run sessions teaching them the words and singing it with passion....

Comments

• Was watching it thinking a few of the players look very 'special'.

Rooney is too thick to learn the words.
    Milner looked like he was out of Emmerdale.
  • One of my pet hates you watch other sports they sing it with pride

Footballers well i wont swear
  • Becks always looked proud to sing it.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Becks always looked proud to sing it.

totally agree, never gave less than 100% in games eithet
  • HigHig
    edited February 2011
    England rugby team are sing it with pride (most of them anyway).
  • Why do the fans always sing it twice as fast as the actual song?
  • maybe some feel no need to sing about a german
  • Nothing to do with the national anthem, but why are all the ads on the boards English yet it's being played in Denmark?
  • If you look behind the England goal, it looks like danish ads... maybe the danish have cameras on the other side of the pitch?! Or maybe (most likely) English companys will pay more money...
  • when you say national anthem....
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Nothing to do with the national anthem, but why are all the ads on the boards English yet it's being played in Denmark?

Netto is English? I know they have a small shop in Locksbottom but chain is Danish.

And Adidas?.....
  • edited February 2011
    It's never bothered me that the Spanish players don't sing during Spain's national anthem...

I think you'll find that most people couldn't give a f*** about the royal family. If the country's anthem were 'Land of Hope and Glory' - as it should be - then a few more people might sing along.
  • Talking of adverts, I remember when Simonsen played for us Danish products being advertised at the Valley as the games were being screened in Denmark.
  • Not bothered whether they sing or not. They are football players not a choir. It has nothing to do with how they play. It shows nothing about how much passion they have for the game. It should be each player's individual choice.
  • Gabriel Marcotti mentioned on Twitter that half the ground have English adverts and half Danish, the English cameras on one side and Danish on the other
  • [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Why do the fans always sing it twice as fast as the actual song?
    Was our drummer there then?
  • I've just been told Darren Bent didn't sing it.

I always thought he was a breath of fresh air and different to the average scumbag Premiership footballer.

It is true that our heroes have feet of clay.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: floydroad[/cite]Not bothered whether they sing or not. They are football players not a choir. It has nothing to do with how they play. It shows nothing about how much passion they have for the game. It should be each player's individual choice.

It should indeed be each player's individual choice.

How disappointing though that so many English footballers hate their country and have no respect for it or its traditions.

No wonder Cameron, Brown, Blair etc have sold our country down the river.
  • "god save our Queen" is the national anthem for Great Britain, yet all the other nations that form us have opted to have their own ditti, yet we're stuck with this old chestnut. Can't blame the players for not wanting to sing it. The national anthem should be a song about the nation, not the monarcy. Maybe we should go for an instrumental then no-one can moan about players not singing. My vote would be the Imperial stormtrooper march theme from star wars. :-)
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I've just been told Darren Bent didn't sing it.

I always thought he was a breath of fresh air and different to the average scumbag Premiership footballer.

It is true that our heroes have feet of clay.

No he just might not be a royalist. I would die to play for this country,love it and am very, very proud to be English but doesnt mean you have to be pro the monarchy which is essentially what the lyrics entail.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't imagine the English players question the social & morale implications of singing an anthem about the queen, they don't sing it because they a) can't be bothered b) don't want to or c) don't know the words. I know if I was in that position I'd be singing the anthem, but I don't think we can force it upon people.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]It's never bothered me that the Spanish players don't sing during Spain's national anthem...

Nice one!

And how about those liechtensteiners who sing the wrong words....
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]How disappointing though that so many English footballers hate their country and have no respect for it or its traditions.

No wonder Cameron, Brown, Blair etc have sold our country down the river.
    Oh for goodness sake Len! There are many reasons why you might not sing the national anthem without hating the country. And linking that to the actions of our political "elite" *spit* is so far-fetched it's ridiculous.
  • edited February 2011
    turn it in len starting to think your a wum
  • Nah, we've just hit one of those topics that presses his "rant" buttons.
  • Len, that's nonsense. I am very patriotic but I don't believe in God and couldn't give a monkey's about the monarchy. I wouldn't sing it. I might sing the words to the Pistols' version instead though.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]turn it in len starting to think your a wum

No I'm not Nolly.

Boxing is your sport and, as a player, rugby was one of mine and I enjoy watching England play international rugby when us proles are allowed to on terrestial television.

I'm afraid it winds me up (or as Ali says "presses my rant buttons") when i contrast the obvious pride of English rugby players in representing their country, epitomised by their wholehearted singing of the national anthem, with the slovenly, indifferent attitude of so many of our footballers.

Sorry and all that but there it is!
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]turn it in len starting to think your a wum

Boxing is your sport and, as a player, rugby was one of mine and I enjoy watching England play international rugby when us proles are allowed to on terrestial television.

Never been a true game of the the proles historically in this country though has it Len? I always used to see it as a very pro establishment upper/ upper middle class game, proportionately (although obviously more accessible to the masses now) in this country. Grammar and public schools tended to shun football and play "rugger" and vice versa.

Perhaps that has something to do with them bellowing out God save the QUEEN more passionately than folk from other backgrounds?

(Particularly as Will Carling was ironing one out.)
  • i cant stand the rugby/football comparisons. went to BETHS school and thats all the P.E. teachers did. its cos rugby is jealous of football they have to find all its faults.

basically egg chasing neanderthals called rupert or thibault that like a sing song before the game and to fart in each others beers after. well done.
  • JTJT
    edited February 2011
    You saying you don't like a spot of Rugger with Rupert and a bundle in the shower after??