Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simmo

Interesting half-time feature here on Swedish coverage of the Denmark - England game: a feature on Allan Simonsen. One of the excuses given for the choice of Simmo was his connection with both countries! Except for the 17 times he played for us the only other appearance I can remember him making in England was when he scored from the penalty spot in a 1-0 against England at Wembley, although there probably were some appearances in varoius European cup competitions.

What a joy, though, it was to see Simmo scoring against Newcastle in front of the old covered end. I guess the choice is not great when you want to show Simmo scoring in English league football.

Can anyone out there seriously recall seeing a better player in a Charlton shirt? As the feature rightly pointed out he wasvoted European footballer of the year ahead of Keegan and Platini.

And did anyone see that Anders Bodelsen film where he got shot whilst playing for Denmark at Parken? In those days the pitch went the other way (it's been turned 90 degrees, not 180!) so for anyone who did and is interested it was in the penalty area furthest away from tonight's cameras that he was shot.

Comments

• I doubt very much there has been a better outfield player ever for Charlton. In any era I'm certain his natural ability would've have see him at the top. Deadly from the edge of the box (Newcastle), great movement to lose a marker in the box (Leicester), unbelievable close control & cool finishing (Chelsea..twice) and great skill in creating (great cross for Steve White v QPR plus loads of dummies, turns and nutmegs in other games). He was a tough little sod too and could take a tackle (Ipswich from Terry Butcher). In world/top league terms...superb, in Charlton terms...genius.
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]I doubt very much there has been a better outfield player ever for Charlton. In any era I'm certain his natural ability would've have see him at the top. Deadly from the edge of the box (Newcastle), great movement to lose a marker in the box (Leicester), unbelievable close control & cool finishing (Chelsea..twice) and great skill in creating (great cross for Steve White v QPR plus loads of dummies, turns and nutmegs in other games). He was a tough little sod too and could take a tackle (Ipswich from Terry Butcher). In world/top league terms...superb, in Charlton terms...genius.

This. It's still hard to believe we had him, however briefly.
  • John Barnes wasn't bad!
  • Di Canio for me.

He was worth the entrance money alone some games.

Not saying he was better but his talent was amazing to watch.
  • I'm with Hugo here and have to disagree with charlton parklane - esp if you think what division we were playing in at the time (2nd tier) & our status (liitle club,no history for over 30 yrs, crowds of around 6-8k per wk).

Di Canio played for us when we were in the Premiership & I bet he wouldnt have set foot in the ground if we were in The Championship at the time.

In comparrisson nowdays it would be like Scunthorpe or Doncaster signing Lionel Messi or Thiery Henry.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I'm with Hugo here and have to disagree with charlton parklane - esp if you think what division we were playing in at the time (2nd tier) & our status (liitle club,no history for over 30 yrs, crowds of around 6-8k per wk).

Di Canio played for us when we were in the Premiership & I bet he wouldnt have set foot in the ground if we were in The Championship at the time.

In comparrisson nowdays it would be like Scunthorpe or Doncaster signing Lionel Messi or Thiery Henry.[/quote]

The question was though mate, anyone think of a better player?

Arguably Di Canio performed to high calibre against better players, lets face there was a lot of crap Simmo performed against.

Not taking anything away from his obvious ability.
  • only game i saw him play was at hillsborough. we lost but his touch and vision made up for his lack of pace. as said...genius!
  • I really liked Di Canio but his only open play goal for Charlton came v Luton. If you compare the two players at the time they played for Charlton, I'd say Simonsen was a tiny step up from Di Canio because he could score goals and he would've got them had we been in Div 1 at the time, without doubt. As it was he got 9 in 17 games in a pretty terrible Charlton team. He also almost doubled the crowd for his first appearance v Middlesboro' plus over 2000 turned up his first reserve game v Swansea. Think of the sort of player we'd have to sign these days to put 5000 on a gate or get that many turning up to a reserve game and for those who weren't around at the time, that'll give you an indication of where he was in terms of world football.
  • Both DiCanio and Simmo came to us past their best.Especially Allan who was probably carrying a long time injury.They were both a class act but during their peaks Simmo was better than Simmo.As regards other Charlton players having the same flair the nearest I have seen to these two geniuses was Mortimer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]Both DiCanio and Simmo came to us past their best.Especially Allan who was probably carrying a long time injury.They were both a class act but during their peaks Simmo was better than Simmo.As regards other Charlton players having the same flair the nearest I have seen to these two geniuses was Mortimer.

Whoops! Simmo better than Paolo...
  • Sponsored links:

• I was lucky enough to see Simonsen play for us, he was so much better than the players we had that they were just not on his wavelength.

Also Killer tells a story, I believe it was from Simonsens era. They were playing away, the Charlton players were in the bar the evening before the game. At about 9 pm Simonsen went off to his room to bed. He was up about 6.30am and was pleased to see Hales sitting in the bar area (where they also had breakfast), Simmo remarked something along the lines of 'nice to see you up early', Killer replied that he had not gone to bed yet!!

There is also the 'uban legend' that Simonsen came to us because he thought we were something to do with Bobby Charlton!
  • Bibble...that was probably away to Burnley...lost 7-1...Hales sent off. Well played lads! PS: Two hat-tricks against us that day!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Bibble...that was probably away to Burnley...lost 7-1...Hales sent off. Well played lads! PS: Two hat-tricks against us that day![/quote]

Well you would know you played in it!! ;o)
  • Oh yeah, I was forgetting. Think I only lasted one more game!
  • I saw the film Hugo!
  • [cite]Posted By: Bagpuss[/cite]I saw the film Hugo!

The funny thing was that I saw that ITV showed that film during the brief 4-month period that Simmo played for us yet there was absolutely no advance publicity. It must have been in the very early days of 24-hour TV (at weekends). I remember waking up in the middle of the night and switching on the TV and this film came on. I recognised the name of Anders Bodelsen as a writer of good thrillers so I sat and watched but I was very surprised nonetheless when Simmo suddenly got shot towards the end.

Happily he recovered in time for the next game ;-)

imdb