Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It's West Ham ....

124»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]but you know all Chirpy, he was a good defender, but not an expert on maintaining a pitch.

Not an expert no but with his experience I'm sure he is qualified to have an opinion on pitches. Did you know he is the only player to have played a league game with an England World Cup winning captain and to have won a Premiership winners medal? I'd call that experience.
    And I don't know all. Not like some on here think they do.
  • They're 4 miles apart at the moment. Do you really think moving 2 miles closer is all of a sudden going to mean every Orient fan switches to West Ham?

Orient are where they are in the football pyramid because they've had to live alongside West Ham and Tottenham for the past 100 years anyway. Should we be saying Spurs should move to Herts and West Ham to Essex just to allow Orient more of a chance to attract local fans?

Surely any kid who grows up within 3 miles of Orient and hasn't got an older brother/father/uncle who already supports Orient is going to choose Manchester United, Tottenham, West Ham, Arsenal, Liverpool etc anyway??

Just like many kids who are born in Charlton, Bermondsey, Deptford, Plumstead, Woolwich, New Cross, Lewisham, Eltham, etc end up following the big teams.

Just can't see how Orients crowds are going to disappear. They've always relied on family support, not an influx of glory hunters or new supporters.
  • All this 'best legacy' talk is hard to understand.

There are just not enough 'big events' in the UK athletics annual calendar, (one Grand Prix event per year in London?) and unlikely to be enough athletics spectators to fill the stadium for that purpose, even assuming that the better accessibility of Stratford pulls in more people than the athletics stadium at Crystal Palace with its poor transport links and dated/limited facilities. So after a few years, when West Ham supporters get fed up with watching games through binoculars, the stadium will get remodelled for football-only anyway. At least the Spurs bid would have replaced the current CP athletics stadium with something much more attractive.
  • If Orient have such a big issue with a club moving to their 'turf', why dont they just bugger off back to Clapton?
  • Basically, all this is proving is that we should never have bid for the flipping thing in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the Olympics and we've been crying out for investment in athletics for a generation but we're now left with a bill for billions during the worst recesssion in decades and are having to compromise financially and in terms of the legacy that was so central to our bid. We will be a laughing stock in any future bidding process.

My own feeling is that West Ham will put up with track for a year or two then all of a sudden they'll be a justification for getting rid of it and the taxpayer will be left seriously out of pocket whilst WHU have a shiny new stadium at our expense.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Basically, all this is proving is that we should never have bid for the flipping thing in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the Olympics and we've been crying out for investment in athletics for a generation but we're now left with a bill for billions during the worst recesssion in decades and are having to compromise financially and in terms of the legacy that was so central to our bid. We will be a laughing stock in any future bidding process.

My own feeling is that West Ham will put up with track for a year or two then all of a sudden they'll be a justification for getting rid of it and the taxpayer will be left seriously out of pocket whilst WHU have a shiny new stadium at our expense.

Many main stadiums at Olympics don't leave a legacy. We're no different to many other places. The original concept was to reduce the capacity to 20k or so I thought and the upper tier was being sold to Chicago or something wasn't it?
  • Yea, but a lot of people think part of the reason we won the bidding process to hold the fecking Olympics was because we said in our bid that there would be a lasting legacy for Athletics.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Basically, all this is proving is that we should never have bid for the flipping thing in the first place.

Many main stadiums at Olympics don't leave a legacy. We're no different to many other places. The original concept was to reduce the capacity to 20k or so I thought and the upper tier was being sold to Chicago or something wasn't it?

That's exactly my point. We made such a big thing about the fact that post-Olympics we would have a world class venue for athletics. There was a lot of discussion at the time and the outcome was constant reassurance that the winner would be GB athletes. As it turns out the real winner's a Premiership football club with an appalling record of financial mismanagement that will almost certainly end up being bailed out by the public purse in order to save the project falling apart within a year or two of the games being over and the UK gov't having massive amounts of egg on their face. If there's a running track around the pitch inside of 5 years I will be amazed.
  • dont think Levy has much of his face left after this kick in the proverbials

i dont like the fella welched on an agreement to rehouse my boys football team when they bought the ground for their new super dooper trainig complex, and all he hasa said in the last month is that spurs can not move forward without the olympic stadium.

weasly little man take that.

didnt want either of them to get it, just needed an athletics man with vision and fore sight to push the athletics stadium side of things.
  • West Ham Athletic doesn't sound quiet right?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Basically, all this is proving is that we should never have bid for the flipping thing in the first place.

The band or the city?
  • It's all been a bit rubbish really, hasn't it.

Take a look at the stadium the next time you go past it. The upper tier, which is 55 of the 80,000 capacity, was always designed to be removed. Indeed, it's only been built to last a year or two. There are no catering facilities there, nothing. So all that will have to be rebuilt, which is why West Ham can't move in until 2014.

London could have had an excellent athletics stadium. But athletes will not want to compete in a stadium that has 10,000 rattling round a 60k capacity stadium. And more importantly, television networks won't want to show it.
  • "We are very, very excited about what happened today and it is nice to be on the winning side," Gold told reporters at the Olympic site in Stratford.

Obviously not used to that winning feeling at west ham then. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]They're 4 miles apart at the moment. Do you really think moving 2 miles closer is all of a sudden going to mean every Orient fan switches to West Ham?

Orient are where they are in the football pyramid because they've had to live alongside West Ham and Tottenham for the past 100 years anyway. Should we be saying Spurs should move to Herts and West Ham to Essex just to allow Orient more of a chance to attract local fans?

Surely any kid who grows up within 3 miles of Orient and hasn't got an older brother/father/uncle who already supports Orient is going to choose Manchester United, Tottenham, West Ham, Arsenal, Liverpool etc anyway??

Just like many kids who are born in Charlton, Bermondsey, Deptford, Plumstead, Woolwich, New Cross, Lewisham, Eltham, etc end up following the big teams.

Just can't see how Orients crowds are going to disappear. They've always relied on family support, not an influx of glory hunters or new supporters.

Are you sure you support Millwall?

You speak an awful lot of sense sometimes.

:-)
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]They're 4 miles apart at the moment. Do you really think moving 2 miles closer is all of a sudden going to mean every Orient fan switches to West Ham?

Top post SLL. I make you right.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]They're 4 miles apart at the moment. Do you really think moving 2 miles closer is all of a sudden going to mean every Orient fan switches to West Ham?

Top post SLL. I make you right.

You are ruining Barry Hearn's court case lol!
  • Be good to know the regional marketing census of where our fans come from is it Greenwich, Lewisham.

I would guess quite a few come from North Kent. Bromley/Bexley/.......

Of course all this speculation while we are in the third tier of football, is a bit premature, it is the quality of the football, and what league you play in surely that is the over riding factor!.

Interesting that Gillingham complained that our marketing affected there fan base footprint!, surely as far away as West ham in transport links!.
  • Spurs want legal guarantees that W Ham will keep the running track indefinitely & I don't blame them, as I can see W Ham coming out with some future excuse to try and get rid of it. when their attendances fall due to the poor view.

"It was never an option, however, that we would retain the running track as we believe this to be unacceptable for our supporters and therefore wholly unviable in the long term.

"It carries with it the major risk of being incapable of delivering a lasting legacy without further calls on the public purse or a requirement for changes to the stadium and track at a later date.

"Much has been made of the promise to keep the Athletics track within the Olympic Stadium and, therefore, we should all expect to see the retention of this track firmly embedded and legally guaranteed by those entrusted with this legacy commitment, today and in the future.

"We submitted an honest bid with the only solution we considered capable of delivering lasting regeneration, a significant return to the public purse and wide-ranging benefits to the local communities and to London.

"The OPLC's decision has still to be approved by two Government departments and the Mayor's Office. We shall continue to monitor the bid process over the coming weeks up until its final determination, whilst reviewing our position and holding discussions with our advisors.

"We shall spend time assessing our situation in respect of a new stadium and when we have any further information we shall update our supporters."
  • And Orient Fans' Trust are going to fight the decision. It's still looking messy.

Leyton Orient Fans' Trust have already vowed to fight the decision to allow West Ham to move into the Olympic Stadium.

The Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) on Friday afternoon officially announced the Premier League club as the preferred bidder for the showpiece £537million venue which is situated close to Orient's Brisbane Road.

The decision still has to be rubber-stamped by the Government and the London mayor's office, but it would be a major surprise if it was not accepted.

And in the aftermath of the verdict, Orient Fans' Trust chair Doug Harper told BBC Sport: "We've got a meeting of the fans' trust on Saturday where we will cement our plans. I'm sure we will be lobbying the Premier League. It is just the start now. We will be working with the club and others.

"West Ham are not going to fill a 60,000-seat stadium and have said they are going to offer cash incentives. That would stamp on our turf in this day and age when money is tight.

"It is okay in terms of the current Leyton Orient fans but what about the younger ones? Which will they choose if we have Swindon on a Wednesday and West Ham are playing Manchester United
  • Palace now want to build a new stadium at "The Crystal Palace" which will incorporate a running track and small stand outside their new stadium, as well as additional athletic facilities etc for those that currently use the existing facilities.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am sympathetic to Orient fan's, in the same way that if Arsenal decided to come back to Woolwich!.

However despite there reasoned argument, since when is logic and fairplay been part of football!........ at least in a business sense!

Whatever is the twisted logic of West ham 'needing a bigger stadium', certainly at present, why there!.

At least Spurs have stated that they do not want the track, and could argue that they could fill the stadium most games!..... although there fan's seem pretty reluctant!

Spur's asking for a legally binding agreement to retain the track , is really not realistic, probably be challenged, and despite the political aspirations to justify the cost of the games to Londoners through a 'legacy' argument, if 'shove comes to push' and West ham want to move out of the stadium if the track remains, and they are playing in a large arena, with a small attendance, there will be little that the mayor's office, or the OPLC, or goverment at the time will in real terms be able to about it!..........
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]View sorted

LOL!...Nice one Uncle.
  • whatever way you look at it, the bottom line is that west ham fans are the victims of the money men and they will be stuck watching football from behind a running track. just glad it's not us.