Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trevor Bailey

Former Essex and England all-rounder Trevor Bailey has died aged 87.

Comments

• A great shame.

I liked "the Boil."

I remember watching him play when young and I always enjoyed his knowledgable analysis on Test Match Special when it was in its prime. Although it did my game no good (lack of ability on my part!) Trevor Bailey on cricket is an excellent coaching manual although it may no longer be in print.

RIP
  • Very sad to hear this.

RIP, Trevor
  • Famous for helping England to win the Ashes for the first time in 19 years, in 1953. Saved the second test a Lords by batting out the last 5 hours with Willie Watson. A bit before my time, but a fixture on TMS in my early years watching cricket.

I echo LenGlover's comments. He has a place in Ashes history.
  • I also grew up listening to the wisdom of The Boil and Fiery Fred on TMS. Maybe they did go on too long but the way the BBC got rid of them was very shoddy. As Bailey said, he was ready to retire but would have liked the oppotunity to say goodbye and thank you to the listners.
  • I remember watching him play for Essex v Kent at Hesketh Park, Dartford in 1966. In our (Kent's) second innings he put himself on to bowl when we only needed about 25 to win with five wickets remaining - and he proceeded to bowl us out, damn him. We lost by four runs.

My father had been at school with him and we went and met him in the pavilion afterwards and he bought me a ginger beer.

A fine cricketer and a decent man.

Requiescat in pace, TEB...
  • Very sad news. An excellent all-rounder for England in his day and always worth listening to on the old Test Match Special.
    Evokes memories of happy childhood summers watching and playing cricket non-stop - Chirpy will know what I mean!
    Ex Dulwich College boy. I believe the old Honor Oak CC ground which the college now own is named after him.

RIP.
  • RIP
    when you said aged 87 i automatically thought it was a natural death.
    ssn reporting he died in a fire.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12414599

RIP...

It seems smoke inhalation was the cause - a fire in the kitchen.

• That scorecard evokes memories.

In the mid late sixties they had an experiment in the county championship whereby the first innings was restricted to 65 overs. Hence the lack of a declaration yet wickets remaining in both first innings. Another abortive attempt at "brighter cricket!"

Alan Brown batting at the rarified heights of number 7! He was a real old fashioned hitter and I guess they thought, with just 65 overs, if he got going we might get a few.
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/10/trevor-bailey-dies-fire-retirement-home
  • Good footballer too.
  • I never saw him play the game, but I'll remember him for his work on TMS.

RIP to a true gent.
  • Was speaking earlier with the crew who went to him. A very tragic end.
  • Very sad news. Obviously a good player and as Simmo says, a decent footballer too. Good judge of a cricket match and a good commentator on TMS.

Nice little story on BBC Website today. He was felled by a Freddie Trueman bouncer during a Yorkshire v Essex county match. Very unusually, Fred ran down the wicket to him after he'd hit him to see if he was ok. "Really sorry Trev" said Fred "there's a lot more people I'd rather have hit than thee!"
  • RIP The Boil - A true English cricketing legend. Known by the Aussies as "Barnacle", especially for his performance on the final day of 1953 Ashes final test. Later he was to score the slowest fifty in test history, taking a mere 357 minutes to reach that milestone.

My Dad always referred to him as "Stone Wall Bailey". No doubt that was what the English press dubbed him.

Given the swashbuckling nature of the game these days, he seems a slightly unusual hero, resulting from his obduracy. All in all though, fittingly English - slightly eccentric but full of great skill and determination.

He scored over 28000 runs and took over 2000 wickets in his first class career which is great by any measure.

My memory of him though was on TMS with Jonners, the wonderfully voiced John Arlott and the pugnacious Sir Freddie Truman. Watching the TV with the sound turned down and listening to the Boil and SIr Fred telling us why Underwood was a master bowler, or the brilliance of Knotty following in the great Kentish wicket-keeping traditions of Les Ames and Godrey Evans. Then hearing them sound off about the current state of English swing bowling. They seemed to me, as a lad growing up, that they were kind of cricketing poets of their day. In the days before Hawkeye, Snicko, and twenty different camera angles, what riches they gave us.

A very sad loss of a truly great Englishman.
  • Great eulogy Bing - my memories of him are also only of the radio era, butvlistening to the cricket with my dad in the late 70s and through the early 80s is a cherished memory. Wonder if anyone recorded those broadcasts. Would love to hear some of it again!
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]RIP The Boil - A true English cricketing legend. Known by the Aussies as "Barnacle", especially for his performance on the final day of 1953 Ashes final test. Later he was to score the slowest fifty in test history, taking a mere 357 minutes to reach that milestone.

My Dad always referred to him as "Stone Wall Bailey". No doubt that was what the English press dubbed him.

Given the swashbuckling nature of the game these days, he seems a slightly unusual hero, resulting from his obduracy. All in all though, fittingly English - slightly eccentric but full of great skill and determination.

He scored over 28000 runs and took over 2000 wickets in his first class career which is great by any measure.

My memory of him though was on TMS with Jonners, the wonderfully voiced John Arlott and the pugnacious Sir Freddie Truman. Watching the TV with the sound turned down and listening to the Boil and SIr Fred telling us why Underwood was a master bowler, or the brilliance of Knotty following in the great Kentish wicket-keeping traditions of Les Ames and Godrey Evans. Then hearing them sound off about the current state of English swing bowling. They seemed to me, as a lad growing up, that they were kind of cricketing poets of their day. In the days before Hawkeye, Snicko, and twenty different camera angles, what riches they gave us.

A very sad loss of a truly great Englishman.

Bing,

I've always seen you as a bit of a dick. However your appreciation of cricket shows me that you cannot be that bad.

I know we've had our differences in the past but I am ready to offer the hand of friendship to you now........Chirpy.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Bing,

I've always seen you as a bit of a dick. However your appreciation of cricket shows me that you cannot be that bad.

I know we've had our differences in the past but I am ready to offer the hand of friendship to you now........Chirpy.

I have never had a problem with our differences Chirp. We both love the Addicks and I am delighted we share a love of cricket. Take care LLL&BH!
  • Sponsored links:

• An interesting read

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/trevor-bailey-combative-and-uncompromising-cricketer-hailed-as-the-worlds-best-allrounder-in-the-1950s-2211183.html#