Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Benno on benchwarming

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
In everyone's favourite rag :-)

To be a substitute is a nightmare situation for any footballer. I've been lucky enough to start regularly for both Dagenham and Charlton in the last four-and-a-half years but now I haven't started a game since 3 January and I want to be playing football.

When you're in the manager's first-choice XI, you've got something there at the end of your training week whereas in this situation you're training but you know there's no end product.

On Thursdays, you know whether you're in the team or not because there's a practice game involving the first team against the players out of the side.

In my position, you just have to train that extra bit harder to prove that you should be in the side.

People mention going to speak to the manager but it is more difficult to do that if the team are winning - as we are at the moment. If I was in the team at the moment, I'd hope to carry on playing because we've won three on the bounce.

So I can't really blame our new manager, Chris Powell (right), for not being in the side.

Instead, I've got to look at doing enough in training to get into his plans.

Sometimes you just need that little twist of fate to go in your favour - and you're away. In 2005-06, my first season at Dagenham, I'd play one game and be out the next, just stop-start all the way through the season.

It looked as though it would be the same situation the following year but I came on as a sub and scored in a game at Aldershot early in the season.

The player who had been starting in my position, Cliff Akurang, couldn't play in the next match because he was ill, so I started and I scored again.

The following game, I played ahead of Cliff and I made it three goals in three games - and pretty much stayed in the team from then on until I left Dagenham last summer.

Had Cliff not been ill, I'm pretty sure he'd have stayed in the team, I'd have stayed on the bench and who knows what might have happened?

So while I'd never wish injury or illness on any team-mate, I know how quickly things can change and I have to be ready if something does happen so I can take my chance as I did before.

My team-mates have all been great since I've been out of the side. I drive in to training with Johnnie Jackson and Alan McCormack, both of whom have been telling me to keep doing what I was doing in training when I was in the team and scoring goals.

I also sat next to Christian Dailly, who played in the 1998 World Cup for Scotland, on the coach on the way to Yeovil last Saturday. He stressed the importance of not giving up in training because that's when it will start to go wrong.

I've never been like that anyway and I'm not about to start. Hopefully things will turn around soon.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23922118-being-benched-is-no-substitute-for-a-place-in-the-team.do

Comments

• The way he talks about Dailly you'd think Benno was a youngster coming through!
  • In fairness if you've recentley signed from a pub team, getting the chance to train and play with a world cup veteran (almost wrote winner there for some reason!) would be pretty amazing.
  • Oh yeah I understand where he's coming from, just keep forgetting Benson is 31.
  • The tough thing is he isn't going to get back in the side unless either (a) we start losing or (b) BWP or Anyinsah gets injured. Clearly he cannot be seen to be wishing for either.

And then if there is an injury, possible young Eccleston will get the nod over him, anyway.

From being Parkinson's first choice, Benson is now possibly Powell's fourth choice and the only thing he can console himself with is that Pawel Abbott must be even more fed up.

And the simple fact is that - whether it has got anything to do with Benno or is simply down to Powell and the raised confidence levels of other players - the team is playing better without him than it was with him.
  • both BWP and Anyinsah have had their fair share of injuries - his chance may come soon enough.
  • I still see Benno as a different type of player to the other three (BWP/ Anyinsah/ Eccleston) so would have thought he might get some opportunities coming off the bench if we are up against it.

Would recommend he focusses on that in training - if he can make an impact in a 20 min sub appearance, that might help his cause.
  • So Abbott and Benson vs Dailly and Doc in training. Who wins the foot race there I wonder?
  • [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]So Abbott and Benson vs Dailly and Doc in training. Who wins the foot race there I wonder?

Individually:

1. Dailly

2. Benson

3. Abbott

4. Doc

Teams you give:

Abbott and Benson. I think the margin of Doc's slowness over those two outweighs the margin of Dailly's quickness over them.

However whether I'm right or wrong it is a pretty sorry indictment that we even need to discuss the probability that 3 professionals of 30 ish are appreciably slower than a 37 going on 38 year old, even one as fit as Dailly.
  • Can anyone tell me if i'm right or not, but i seem to recall hearing something about Dailly coaches amatuer athletics?

If this is the case then i'm sure he keeps up his fitness levels doing that on top of his dail(l)y training with the squad.
  • [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]Can anyone tell me if i'm right or not, but i seem to recall hearing something about Dailly coaches amatuer athletics?

If this is the case then i'm sure he keeps up his fitness levels doing that on top of his dail(l)y training with the squad.

Yes there was an article about him in a programme which said that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank god for that. for a moment i thought my old timers had kicked in. :-/
  • If Anyinsah's goals don't start coming soon and we stop winning ,then Benson may well get a start ahead of him.
  • Some healthy competition for places and strength in depth is never a bad thing. Benno will get an opportunity before too long - and when it comes he has to take it.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Some healthy competition for places and strength in depth is never a bad thing. Benno will get an opportunity before too long - and when it comes he has to take it.[/quote]

That is more or less what CP was saying about llerra and Abbot and sure it applies to all members of the squad. They know if they don't perform when they get their chance then they don't stay in the team.
  • Appreciate that Benson is frustrated at present!, but feel that as Powell said last night you cannot change a winning side..... If anything I feel that Ecceslton deserves a half, so make sure you are ready when your opportunity comes, which it may do in the next weeks or so!.
  • Still a long long way to go, I'm sure Benson will play again and I'm equally sure he'll pop up with some crucial goals.
  • We've got 8 games in March alone ......that's 2 a week for 4 weeks.

Injury, suspension, loss of form, fatigue, tactics ......or just to ring the changes, that 1st choice eleven is bound to get holes in it.

As Benno himself says, "I know how quickly things can change and I have to be ready....".
    Applies to the other squad players too.
  • Football has progressed from being a team game to being a squad game. There is also an emphasis, providing your manager is tactically astute, upon changing players because of their particular skills and ways of playing. Fact of life I'm afraid, but it's good that he is hungry to play.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm sure he will get another chance, due to injuries, suspensions or - heaven forfend - the team going on a losing run.

And of course he has to stay patient and be ready if and when the call comes. But it must be hard for him and I do understand his frustration. He's 31 year old , he was a late starter and this is only his fourth season in league football. He's desperate to be playing every week. He has less time to be patient than a young kid like Eccleston, so when he describes being on the bench as a ''nightmare'' , I can see where he is coming from.

Plus he was the last manager's number one target during the summer and first choice striker until five weeks ago. Now under a new manager he's third or even fourth choice - and to make it even more frustrating, that's in large part because he got suspended at exactly the wrong time. If he'd been available for Powell's first game he would surely have played and would, no doubt, still be in the team.

It's a tough game sometimes and he has my sympathy.
  • He only has himself to blame. He got sent-off meaning he missed three games and in that time the managers changed, we've signed two strikers and won three games.

He'll just have to wait his chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• If BWP gets injured I can see Benno getting the nod ahead of Eccleston because he and Joe have done OK before however am not sure Benno & BWP would play as well together.

SCP seems to know that he wants pace up front (inc Waggy) so maybe Benno will be limited to those 20 min appearances / all hands on deck moments in games.
  • Would you guys be object to letting Benno come back on loan to Daggers until the end of the season? He wants to play regulary, which he can do with us, as well as being the main man of the side...

I see you have BWP who is scoring for fun atm, Anyinsah who I thought was a cracking player when we met at the Valley earlier in the season and Eccleston who seems to be more more favoured than Benno amongst you guys. Plus he scored a good goal against Plymouth was it? Maybe he could do a bit more with a starting role.

I know you need good back up for your promotion charge, but hey, Abbott can do that for you? He's no stranger to the football league, nor is Benno and I find it weird how a stiker with 8 league goals can't get in your team now but he was unfortunate with the suspension an new gaffer arriving etc etc. Let us have Benno back, we can stay up, and you have BWP, JA ,NE, and Pawel who can send you up!?

Good luck and looking forward to seeing you guys at our place! Preferrably with the club legend playing for the home team ;-)
  • Fairly certain BWP, a very young NE, and a made of glass JA would not be enough for our promotions bid.
  • To be honest the recent games Benson has come on his control has been shocking. Whether he is trying too hard to hit the ground running or not i don't know, but he needs to improve to get his place back.

Personally i like Benson and if played in the right postion (basically a goal poacher) i think he will be very affective for us. Under Parkinson i think he was asked to do too much, when he should just be a goalscorer. Which even Benson admits was the case. He will be a valuable person to have in the squad and i do think he will get his chance again. I actually quite like reading his column, its quite informative and gives a human side to footballers.

Eccleston i think deserves a longer run than 15 minutes at the end of the games. He is very fast, very keen and has good control. Although i don't believe that either BWP or Anyinsah deserve to be dropped just to accomodate either player. Both of them need to take their chances when they come and they will come.

I personally think Eccleston's pace against a leaky Peterborough defence would be awesome tomorrow. The problem is Peterborough although leak a lot of goals score shedloads. Our defence will need to be on their toes tomorrow big time. 1-0 will be scary score through the game for either team.
  • Benno wouldn't go back to daggers, wouldn't look to good for him I'd he did that
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]The way he talks about Dailly you'd think Benno was a youngster coming through!

Reminds me of an interview a few years ago with Shelvey when he mentioned that it was great having Matt Holland to help him as he scored a goal in the World Cup
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]The way he talks about Dailly you'd think Benno was a youngster coming through!

Reminds me of an interview a few years ago with Shelvey when he mentioned that it was great having Matt Holland to help him as he scored a goal in the World Cup
    at least they played the same position lol
  • Benson is such a frustrating player to watch seeing as his control isn't great, his passing is sometimes very wayward and he missus easy chances such as the one's at the withdean against brighton. But at the same time, he does give his all and he does have 8 goals so far this season which isn't too shoddy considering its the highest level of football he's played.

Powell is making the right choice at the minute though so Benson's got to improve if he wants that starting place.
  • Unfortunately for Benno I see him as another Luke Varney. Parky went out on a limb to sign him and I'm not convinced it's working.

CP seems to want to bud a top league 1 side and whilst Benno is effective I'm not convinced he's good enough for top of l1 or championship football.

He's a good poacher - but so is BWP and he also bring pace and trickery to the team.

Benno is a squad player and his recent appearances haven't changed that view
  • [cite]Posted By: addickted_to_cafc[/cite]he missus easy chances such as the one's at the withdean against brighton.

You obviously didn't see the one BWP missed against Yeovil, last Saturday.........!