Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has football gone mad?

Burger ban begins at Forest Green Rovers football club

Red meat is off the menu at Forest Green Rovers. Burgers and sausages have been banned from being sold to fans at Forest Green Rovers football club.

A ban on red meat was introduced for players at the Blue Square Bet Premier club a few weeks ago but now the policy has been extended to the whole stadium.

It has been brought in by club chairman Dale Vince who is a vegan and owner of green electricity company Ecotricity.

Free-range poultry and fish from sustainable stocks will continue to be served.

"I think the old sausage bap won't be much lamented”

Communications director Tom Williams said: "Following discussions with the manager and on nutritional advice, it was decided to no longer feed our team red meat for health and performance reasons.

"[It has now been] decided that this policy should be extended to the stadium, at least in part as a further step in establishing ourselves as a "green" organisation.

"We appreciate that some will miss their burgers and sausages, but our catering staff are working hard on a range of tasty and interesting products to replace those that are no longer available.

"This is obviously a break with tradition but in time we hope that many will come to see it as a step forward rather than a step backwards.

"We're a country now where apparently chicken tikka masala is the most popular national dish. I think the old sausage bap won't be much lamented."

Tim Barnard, who is chairman of Forest Green Rovers' Supporters Trust, said: "There were a few raised eyebrows in the pub on Saturday when there was no cottage pie.

"But I'm a traditional chips and curry sauce man myself so it doesn't really affect me."

Good idea or Club Chairman imposing his own values on others?

Comments

• Options
    I never eat anything from a burger van etc so wouldn't bother me but surely it's the paying crowd's right to choose what they eat? Although I do like the idea of him provinding free range chicken and sustainbley sourced fish.
  • Options
    The burgers inside their ground are well nice
  • Options
    Wow, thats really close to where my mate lives. Might go to a game next time I'm there, check out their food.
  • Options
    Not called Forest GREEN Rovers for nothing.
  • Options
    "range of tasty and interesting products" - this has to be a plus - in fact 3 pluses.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bagpuss[/cite]"range of tasty and interesting products" - this has to be a plus - in fact 3 pluses.

Sausages and burgers are interesting and tasty. This man is well-meaning, but confused.
  • Options
    oh dear
  • Options
    "But I'm a traditional chips and curry sauce man myself so it doesn't really affect me." So what tradition does that stem from then?

Suppose they can count themselves lucky the chairman isn't a reformed alcoholic.......................
  • Options
    bet he reads the guardian.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do you think so? The b*st*rd!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Do you think so? The b*st*rd![/quote]

I do too, but I eat meat ... in a non gay sense
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I think this is taking it too far.

Little Tommy rolls up to the game with his dad & asks for a half time burger with lots of tomato sauce. Sorry son, no longer available but you can have a bowl of broccoli wrapped in a haddock from sustainable stocks all washed down with free range mint tea if you want.

Some of the players should invite the Chairman around their houses and insist he eats venison & chips. Same thing.
  • Options
    "Communications director" Tom Williams said:

Not "Health advisor" Tom or "Environmentalist" Tom.

It is a PR stunt, and not a very good one at that. Because at the end of the day, who cares what fans and players in the Blue Square are eating.