Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ultimate Valley Playlist

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
This past Sunday's Charlton Live, thanks to a lack of guests and audio, ended up veering onto the subject of pre-game and half-time tunes that fans would like to hear played at The Valley during home games.

Some good ideas were brought forward, some classic old regular tracks were requested back and as a result, I have been wondering if the perfect list of songs from 2:30pm up until Red, Red Robin kicks in dead on 3 could be concocted.

Also, which tunes would be suitable for 15 minutes of half time for those of us who remain in our seats and flick through Valley Review as opposed to sifting through the crowded concourse? Of course, it'd have to culminate in the ideal song for the players to run back out onto the pitch for the crucial final 45.

Anyone with a vision on this matter, please post your thoughts. Whether you can fill out the entire time periods above, or just have one song that absolutely has to be on the loudspeaker at 2:55, let me know as I want my final list to have as much general consensus about it as possible.

The end result will be put up here and on my blog at host-nation.blogspot.com and perhaps even a feature on a future Charlton Live or the official website.

Thanks to all that can help out!

Comments

• westlife,boyzone,spicegirls, take that you know all the popular ones.............

we can have a nice little sing song
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]westlife,boyzone,spicegirls, take that you know all the popular ones.............

we can have a nice little sing song

Glad I dont arrive until a couple of minutes before kickoff. Sounds like hell!
  • Players running out for the 2nd half;

Losing by 1 goal-Keep the Faith by Bon Jovi
    Losing by 2 goals or more-Help by The Beatles
    Exciting score draw-Thats Entertainment by The Jam
    Boring 0-0-Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
    Winning by 1 goal-The Winner Takes it All by Abba
    Winning by 2 goals or more-Shocked by Kylie
  • edited February 2011
    I'm going to be controversial here but what about one of our celebrity fans Mika ?

I did not even know who he was until I was told he was Addickted and he won best breakthrough act in the Brits a couple of years ago.

Whilst not claiming to be a major fan , his music is upbeat and contemporary and is often used as background music on TV and would suit pre match I think .
  • I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed peas
    Into The Valley - The Skids
    Jump Around - House Of Pain
    Me And You - Nero
    Champion - Chipmunk and Chris Brown
    London Calling - The Clash
    Let The Sun Shine - Example
    Good Times - Roll Deep
    Funk Soul Brother - Fat Boy Slim
  • How about nothing until the teams come out. I tend to get to my seat early so I can read the programme and music is just wasted while the seats are half or more empty.
    Let the crowd create their own atmosphere, I can't stand being manipulated by pre planned playlists.
  • Liam,

don't know about individual songs but what i would say is that if there is a set 'play list' that was repeated game after game, it would become tedious, and lose any form of impact it was trying to derive. The opera music was an example, it was dramatic and worked for a while, but game by game it lost its impact.

I think ideally you want to have a pool of songs, some of which feature regularly and have a hit list of your 'big impact' numbers (previously the opera one, Infinity, Black Eyed Peas) which you rotate as your big song before TRRR and for the 2nd half.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I'm going to be controversial here but what about one of our celebrity fans Mika ?

I did not even know who he was until I was told he was Addickted and he won best breakthrough act in the Brits a couple of years ago.

Whilst not claiming to be a major fan , his music is upbeat and contemporary and is often used as background music on TV and would suit pre match I think .

Id stop going to football the day this happened.
  • I like the idea of playing songs by Charlton Fans.

I would add Easy by My Jealous God to the list.
  • edited February 2011
    Let's get Mika to re-record Valley Floyd Road.
  • Sponsored links:

• Any tracks using real musical instruments and singers who can sing would get my vote, not being a great fan of programmed tracks or 'rapping' - which probably eliminates most recordings from the past 15 years or so!!
    'Also Sprach Zarathustra' (R. Strauss) preceeding Red Red Robin might make a decent start :-)
  • I think Macronate's list is excellent, although having to listen to Abba everytime we're a goal up at half time could become offensive.

Pre-match build-up should include "Town Called Malice" for no reason other than that it is superb. We should also play "Making Plans for Nigel" next time Palace come down and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" next time Scumwall pay us a visit.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think ideally you want to have a pool of songs, some of which feature regularly and have a hit list of your 'big impact' numbers (previously the opera one, Infinity, Black Eyed Peas) which you rotate as your big song before TRRR and for the 2nd half.
    Good idea.

There were quite a few opera/classical type songs on Charlton Live that could be used, but perhaps not the same one every game. Would like to hear some of those along with likes of Into The Valley, London Calling etc.
  • edited February 2011
    Film scores would be cool:

Sci-fi ones like: The Terminator, Blade Runner, Star Wars, etc.

Then stuff like: Chariots of Fire, Gladiator, etc.

I think they would appeal to the wider audience and are more emotive/dramatic.
  • If the BEP get played again, I can't be held accountable for my actions
  • if we were able to torture mika at half-time id go more
  • Do we really need commercial music to try and create/ enhance an atmosphere. All a bit phoney and palace like isnt it?

Or are modern folk unable to go 7 and half minutes without being entertained by some sort of medium?
  • Roll Deep at HT should go down well in the West Stand.
  • "Things Can Only Get Better" should feature somewhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]"Things Can Only Get Better" should feature somewhere.

You weren't at Old Trafford for the Cup game then.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]"Things Can Only Get Better" should feature somewhere.

urgh! Reminds me of cringey labour politicians singing at their party conference
  • [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]"Things Can Only Get Better" should feature somewhere.

You weren't at Old Trafford for the Cup game then.

We might have lost but remembering singing that song at halftime still brings back good memories for most people.
  • Into The Valley
    London Calling
    The Red Robin
    Shuddap a yer face
  • I Predict a riot
    My Generation
    Going Underground.
    London Calling
  • Anything loud at halftime as the 8 pints in the lib pre kick off, kick in and me old arse trumpet is in fine tune.
  • edited February 2011
    Faith No More: Jizzlobber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOPBqzVZZw

That'll wake up our fans!